Any reviews of the Pilot Petit1?

sobriquet

Psst! Kissing! Over here!

You may have better luck drilling into an empty Varsity/V-pen! :meow: :meow: :meow:

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashland

• KCat

• kissing

• Minotaur

I've heard that it is hard to change colors because it uses something like in felt-tip markers to draw ink from cart to feed.  I guess it would work if it's similar color (e.g. different blue ink for the pen that came with blue cart originally).

Well, that would be the very thing to find out. If it's just feeding ink though a nipple to the feed and nib as other cartridge pens do then a person could just refill the cartridges.

Does anyone else know if this pen uses some sort of intermediate wicking mechanism between the cartridge and the feed?

I've wondered about these in the past but the Web page about them was always in Japanese and I don't read or speak that language. So I've always just wondered what the details were about them.

At 3½ inches that would be a really short pen, maybe even too short for me. I have small hands but I'm not sure they're small enough to use one of those pens without posting. And I don't like to post. :angry:

The Kaweco Sport, which I use a lot, is a 4 inch long fountain pen. That half inch difference could be crucial.

I look forward to hearing more about this pen from others who have actually gotten their mitts on one.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Psst!  Kissing!  Over here!

You may have better luck drilling into an empty Varsity/V-pen!  :meow:  :meow:  :meow:

:bunny1:  :bunny1:  :bunny1:  :bunny1:  :bunny1:  :bunny1:

I know! I know :bonk:

But I was impatient! Vpens/Varsity's NEVER seem to run out due to their huge ink capacities :lol: :ltcapd: :bunny1:

(I drilled it when it was still full :doh: )

edited to add:

Yes, Vpens/Varsity's have a felt-like wick feeding ink to the nib

Edited by kissing

The two Petite1 pens I ordered last week arrived today. I bought an apricot orange & a black.

I can now answer some of the questions raised in this post.

1. What are the nibs like?

The nibs on the Petite1s are marked F. The nibs on the Vpens from Australia that I have are marked M for medium. I have no idea if the U.S. Varsity pens are available with fine or medium nibs; someone else will have to tell us. The nibs seem identical except those on the Petite1s are perhaps 1mm or less shorter; of course, they may just be placed lower in the body of the pen.

2. Do they write as well as Vpens?

Yes. They both started up with my first writing strokes and haven't skipped thus far. I'll be able to add more comments after several weeks of use.

Once I've learned more about these cuties, I'll write a review. So far, I'm impressed, but I really like small pens.

Ashland

I just got one in the mail too - it was a gift for my wife.

It seems very well made and is a good writer - the nib is about a medium fine. The inks are very colorful, her Apple Green pen came with matching ink and I also bought some other colors. They're strange Pilot cartridges that might be hard to find.

Strangely, it was shipped (from jetpens.com) already inked. The fact that there were only a few tiny drops of ink inside the cap speaks volumes about the quality of the feed...

Michael Moncur

I just found these at my local Japanese stationary store. I got a blue black one. They lay down a nice line, but there's lots of tooth. But I paid $5 for it, so I can't complain. I still wonder if these can be turned into ED?

I just received a couple of them from Jpens and enjoyed them and ordered 4 more. :P NO more cheap pens. Ha! Anyway - they're fun and comfortable to my hand when posted. One is a bit toothy, but not scratchy. The other is quite smooth though not in the Buttery realm. They seemed like fun things to toss in my bag and while away the time in the doc's waiting room.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I guess I must have gotten a toothy one. It's not too terrible, but I've written with smoother pens. I'll try picking up another one next week.

I guess I must have gotten a toothy one. It's not too terrible, but I've written with smoother pens. I'll try picking up another one next week.

well, i think QC on such mass-produced nibs is going to be all over the place, but in general I think Pilot does better than some others (IPG).

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Someone on eBay was selling a 12-pack of these in 12 different colors for $60 or so. I almost bought it...

That's $5 per pen. It sounds like you can get them in much smaller lots for that price. But then if you buy a dozen at a time you're more likely to get a couple of good writers out of the bunch. The QC on those nibs is probably left up to luck :angry:.

Somebody sells Chinese fountain pens by the dozen on E-Bay, and they go for less than $60 per lot. Maybe the person selling the Petit1 figures that the cuteness factor will suffice to sell those pens at a higher price than the more ordinary sorts of pens.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 8 months later...

These pens are definitely worth the AUD 8.10 I paid for each. I have two [Wine Red and Dark Green], and they're a pleasure to use. Both lay a fine, wet line right from the start. With their caps posted, they are easier to handle and can be used for long periods of time.

The nibs are very impressive despite the low price. In my opinion, they perform better than both my Lamy Safaris. Smooth as silk, with just the right amount of flex and tooth.

Review to come if I can organise the time :)

It comes in 16 colors, just FYI.

jpens.com :)

Nice range. I've only seen about half that selection in stationers. Not bad pens at all, but the violet and blue seem to feather quite a bit. No problems with the orange & green though.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

• 3 months later...
is the nib tipped or rolled?

I don't have one, but seen it in stores. IIRC it is tipped.

I've heard that it is hard to change colors because it uses something like in felt-tip markers to draw ink from cart to feed. I guess it would work if it's similar color (e.g. different blue ink for the pen that came with blue cart originally).

To remove the "felt thing", remove the nib (just pull out), remove the cartridge, use a cocktail tooth pick (be sure to cut off sharp point) and just push the "felt thing" firmly out from the cartridge end.

Rinse, dry, and u're ready to change the colour of the ink. If u want to clean it thoroughly, u can pull out the section with the fins; like the V-Pen.

Mine suffered pre-mature drying out. If I dip in in a little water/ink, it would write again but when it was not used for long or left uncapped, it would dry out again. I noticed that when it dried out, there is a tiny air gap between the tines.

To fix it, I push the "felt thing" out a little so that the tip ends just behind the nib tip and covers the tines completely.

It writes fine now.

Have fun!

weemeng

• 7 months later...

This little pen has brought me back into using fountain pens.

Couple of questions

Am I stuck using cartridge?

Am I stuck using pilot cartridge?

If I want an all day user, is the Pilot 78G my best choice?

Keep in mind I only want one type of cartridge, so if answer to first two questions is yes, really want to stay Pilot.

Is their not a petit style pen but full sized?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This little pen has brought me back into using fountain pens.

Couple of questions

Am I stuck using cartridge?

Am I stuck using pilot cartridge?

If I want an all day user, is the Pilot 78G my best choice?

Keep in mind I only want one type of cartridge, so if answer to first two questions is yes, really want to stay Pilot.

Is their not a petit style pen but full sized?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think that the Pilot Petit1 uses a shorter cartridge than other Pilot pens, but the diameter is the same. I think also that the Petit1 is too short to use a converter.

There is a post about the convertors, and it shows the current pilot cartrige and that is what is the petit.

The only convertor that looks like it would fit is the con-50.

Thanks for the reply.

I think that the Pilot Petit1 uses a shorter cartridge than other Pilot pens, but the diameter is the same. I think also that the Petit1 is too short to use a converter.

The Petit1 cartridge is 41mm long

The normal Pilot cartridge is 58mm long

The Pilot CON-50 (twist) converter is 59mm long

The Pilot CON-20 (squeeze) converter is 57mm long (this is the newer style with the blue plastic at the open end)

The approximate amount of room for a cartridge in the Petit1 body is 43~44mm

It is too short for the regular cartridges, however if converted to an eyedropper (probably doable) there is room for approximately 2ml of ink (somewhat more than the 1/3 ml the Petit1 cartridges hold, I read elsewhere here the normal cartridges hold 1.1ml and the converters hold around 0.8ml).

Hope this helps!

edit: added URL

Edited by excarnate

That looks to be a Varsity nib. It has the same stamped ring instead of a breather, the same flat top, and the same(from what I can see) feed.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade