Nakaya Pen Size Comparison

Earthdawn

As the title says this thread is for those who have 2 or more Nakaya pens and can post a pic capped and un-capped to show how they compare to each other.

Ill start with my 2. The Desk Pen vs Neo Standard

Desk Pen is Aka-tamenur & Neo Standard is Kikyo

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/44AA4378-E497-4EA5-A8E3-E6F3D80DC35A-2262-0000009DE00C92D5_zps9ae3ba53.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/224651CB-EC42-4D94-8F12-A2BDB4A77375-2262-0000009D76523CC4_zps1ac04002.jpg

Edited by Earthdawn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Earthdawn

• Ghost Plane

• WOBentley

• persco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my long cigar next to a Naka-ai - the only shot I've got, I'm afraid, as I traded the Naka-ai for another long cigar. In this shot they don't look that different in size but the taper on the Naka-ai makes it feel much less substantial in the hand.

post-50815-0-21044500-1365496877.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

The first picture is from November 2011. The second picture is today April 2013. You can see the change in urushi on the Decapod and Neo Standard. If you look at the grip on the Neo Standard, you can see that it is has a shine to it where my fingers sit. The Decapod Twist has deepened in color. My pens are left in a pen wrap when not in use. I use all three of my Nakaya pens everyday. The Dorsal Fin color has deepened to a more blue color. The pen rest has also changed.

The last picture with caps on is from Novemember 2011. If you click on the pictures, it will open into a bigger file.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6115/6335028049_9e0ee84994_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8539/8634826016_fab0e021b6_k.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6215/6335784778_ea6cd1c535_b.jpg

Edited by JustinJ

Thank you both. These look great. I am anxiously waiting for my first two, and will post pictures when they arrive!

I don't have uncapped photos (sorry), but these might be helpful to someone.

L to R: Neo Standard, Naka-ai, Piccolo, Portable cigar, Portable Writer

fpn_1357599352__naka-ai.jpg

L to R: Lamy 2000, Decapod, Piccolo

fpn_1345669187__pens_8-22.jpg

L to R: Montblanc Hemingway, Pelikan M620, Neo Standard

fpn_1340472633__june_23.jpg

L to R: Visconti Homo Sapiens Maxi, vintage Sheaffer Balance Jr., Pilot 823, Portable Writer

fpn_1339771794__june_15.jpg

Edited by reprieve

To everybody participating in this thread - thanks! It's really helpful to us Nakaya newbies as our chance of seeing one in the wild is almost nil. I'm planning my first Nakaya buy this year and am immersing myself in nibs choices and customizations, pen sizes, and colors. This thread is very helpful.

Nakaya pens with a Pilot Custom 823 and a Lamy Safari. I assume that most people have a Lamy Safari or seen one in person.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8225/8583064148_ece4afaab4_k.jpg

I'm not very pleased with these photos, but they'll have to do.

Left to right: 17mm Portable Cigar in aka-tamenuri, Portable Writer in black, Neo Standard in heki-tamenuri, Long Cigar in a custom color with ishime section

fpn_1365561836__nakaya_comp_capped2.jpg

fpn_1365561914__nakaya_comp_uncapped2.jpg

fpn_1365561981__nakaya_comp_uncapped4.jpg

It's a little hard to see on the image, but notice how the nib on the heki-tamenuri is darker and more of a coppery color than the others. It's my oldest Nakaya and the color is due to tarnish. Easily removed but I like it so it stays.

Finally, here's a photo of aka-tamenuri, kuro-tamenuri, and heki tamenuri side by side (the last two are both Neo Standards). The range in tarnish is visible on these with the aka-tamenuri being my newest pen and the heki-tamenuri the oldest.

fpn_1365562224__tamenuri_trio.jpg

I'm not very pleased with these photos, but they'll have to do.

Left to right: 17mm Portable Cigar in aka-tamenuri, Portable Writer in black, Neo Standard in heki-tamenuri, Long Cigar in a custom color with ishime section

fpn_1365561836__nakaya_comp_capped2.jpg

fpn_1365561914__nakaya_comp_uncapped2.jpg

fpn_1365561981__nakaya_comp_uncapped4.jpg

It's a little hard to see on the image, but notice how the nib on the heki-tamenuri is darker and more of a coppery color than the others. It's my oldest Nakaya and the color is due to tarnish. Easily removed but I like it so it stays.

Finally, here's a photo of aka-tamenuri, kuro-tamenuri, and heki tamenuri side by side (the last two are both Neo Standards). The range in tarnish is visible on these with the aka-tamenuri being my newest pen and the heki-tamenuri the oldest.

fpn_1365562224__tamenuri_trio.jpg

Wow! What's not to like about the photos? They look very fine to me. Those pens are super lovely... How did you get the custom colour?

Wow! These are great photographs. I need to get out my camera and figure how to post photos.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Wow! What's not to like about the photos? They look very fine to me. Those pens are super lovely... How did you get the custom colour?

Thanks persco, I ordered the custom color through John Mottishaw in early 2012. It was worth the wait to have a unique Nakaya.

Thanks persco, I ordered the custom color through John Mottishaw in early 2012. It was worth the wait to have a unique Nakaya.

Thanks for the info. Did you ask specifically for that colour? If so, it is very good to know that's a potential option...

Thanks for the info. Did you ask specifically for that colour? If so, it is very good to know that's a potential option...

It's reasonably close to the color I asked for. I sent them information on the color I wanted and asked them to get as close as they could. There is an extra cost involved.

FPN member trax recently inquired about a custom color and was told that she needed to order a minimum of five pens, so perhaps Nakaya has changed their policy. Here's a link (the relevant post is #185): https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/238452-newbie-with-a-nakaya-dream/page__st__150

Here's my contribution to the thread. Apologies for the poor images and dust!

The first two images show the Nakayas (Neo Standard; Naka-ai; Decapod; Long Piccolo and Piccolo) capped and uncapped. The next two show them alongside other pens: Tsuchida eye-dropper; Namiki Royal Urushi; Sailor King of Pen and, on the right, Edison Urushi Pearl; Danitrio Octagon (Takumi sized pen).

post-24711-0-79406000-1366466281.jpg

post-24711-0-23375500-1366466370.jpg

post-24711-0-56534100-1366466386.jpg

post-24711-0-78035300-1366466396.jpg

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

I do plan to get a Nakaya at some point.......

What, not on order already?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have one Nakaya in transit on its way to me (Naka-ai kuro tamenuri). When I have another in a few weeks (black Neo Standard) I will post photos of them both here.

Edited by persco

:yikes: Wow :puddle: Painterspal :notworthy1: fabulous collection :notworthy1: Simply fabulous. Thank you very much for sharing.

Pavoni.

My first is nearly here. Will update with a pic against various others when it arrives.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......