2013 Edison Morgan Le Manufacturing Progress Thread

bgray

Correct. The Neon is pearlized, so it will have a lot of depth. You can't really photograph this very well, but you'll understand when you hold then pen in your hand and rotate it.

I can imagine there will be an awful lot of holding and rotating - gazing at the patterns.

Just hope there isn't a subliminal message "buy Edison pens" embedded in there behind the orange neon threads.

Haha!!!! Brian is trying to hypnotize us with his pens. "LOOK INTO MY EBONITE! YOU'RE GETTING SLEEEEEPY. BUY EDISON PEEEEENNNNSSSS!"

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Jimmy James

• heymatthew

• gwgtaylor

Wow that is great about the bonus chunk.

The pens look fantastic so far. The lighter bits on the black acrylic seem sort of pearlescent ?

Correct. The Neon is pearlized, so it will have a lot of depth. You can't really photograph this very well, but you'll understand when you hold then pen in your hand and rotate it.

Also Ebonite is schedule to be here Tuesday! Now of course, customs delays can happen, so hopefully Tuesday!

Gaaaahhhh!!! Now I really wish I ordered an acrylic as well. That description makes it sound too good to be true.

Ebonite cleared customs, so barring something strangely unforeseen, the rods will be here on Tuesday...we'll start building on Wednesday.

Good news! Glad everything is running smoothly so far. :)

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

Brian: On the form factor question: I imagine round stock would involve less waste -- and thus lower cost? ($250 is still a price I'd be willing to pay for one of your beauties, so you'd be welcome to the extra margin if that was the case!) Or is the round rod simply a result of the manufacturer cutting the material in house into a convenient shape for their customers?

Sadly, I wasn't able to have in on this one, but then I would have wanted a Blue/Gold Striated acrylic, so it's not terrible. Though the unfinished Neon looks better to me in the pictures than the polished version...

Kicking myself for missing out on this. Wish I had visited the section sooner.

• OMAS 360 Vintage Turquoise |

Delta Stantuffo Mocha Oro Rosso Grande |

Pelikan M605

Pelikan M215 | Piper Empire Dark Forest

Brian: On the form factor question: I imagine round stock would involve less waste -- and thus lower cost? ($250 is still a price I'd be willing to pay for one of your beauties, so you'd be welcome to the extra margin if that was the case!) Or is the round rod simply a result of the manufacturer cutting the material in house into a convenient shape for their customers?

Actually, the opposite is the case. If the manufacturer takes the trouble to make the stock round, they charge more for it, generally. It's an extra step for them. Sometimes I have control over what form I want the acrylic in (sheet, square rod, round rod), and sometimes I don't. It just depends on the manufacturer or distributor and what material I need to get.

Look what arrived yesterday!

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-3BhR3Nr/0/L/IMG_8126-L.jpg

So we're cranking out ebonite pens today....

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-6f4N8fX/0/L/IMG_8124-L.jpg

Brian, Are you going to the Chicago Pen Show ?.....

Yep we'll be in Chicago.

Right now, our goal is to have these pens shipped prior to Chicago. I'll keep the updates coming as we move along.

If, for some reason, we don't get these shipped prior to Chicago, then of course, expect downtime from this project for about a week's duration.

So either right before, or right after Chicago. We'll see.

Great to see the ebonite came in without a hitch! Am I correct in assuming that those of us who bought the ebonite version will also receive a sample chunk of ebonite? I might be a nerd too, but I'm fascinated by holding the before/after materials.

Thanks Brian!

Great to see the ebonite came in without a hitch! Am I correct in assuming that those of us who bought the ebonite version will also receive a sample chunk of ebonite? I might be a nerd too, but I'm fascinated by holding the before/after materials.

Thanks Brian!

EVERYbody gets a bonus chunk!

:)

All the Briar Swirl people go laugh at the Neon people. Our rods are WAY longer than theirs! :P ;)

I love these progress threads!

The Neon rods seem to have it where it counts. Girth. Uh, and orange. They are oranger. :-/

Hi, Brian.

I just bought your #6 1.1mm and 1.5mm steel italic nibs from the Goulets. I really like them.

I see on your web site that you have #5 size nibs in 1.9mm and 2.3mm italics. Do you plan on offering these in the #6 size nibs? Soon? Please?

David (eagerly awaiting my ebonite Morgan LE. My 2012 ebonite Pearl FPN LE wants to meet her new sibling and has even said she'll share her 1.5mm italic nib.)

Hi, Brian.

I see on your web site that you have #5 size nibs in 1.9mm and 2.3mm italics. Do you plan on offering these in the #6 size nibs? Soon? Please?

The manufacturer has no plans to offer these really wide sizes, that I know of. Those are really huge for most people. If they offer them, I'd buy them, however.

The ones that I have for the #5 sized pens were leftover from a custom order a long time ago. Once those are gone, they are gone.

Hi, Brian.

The manufacturer has no plans to offer these really wide sizes, that I know of. Those are really huge for most people. If they offer them, I'd buy them, however.

The ones that I have for the #5 sized pens were leftover from a custom order a long time ago. Once those are gone, they are gone.

Thanks for your reply, Brian.

The broader italic nibs would be used for posters, etc. not for ordinary handwriting.

Can the #5 nibs be used in Edisons made for the #6 nibs?

David