2013 Edison Morgan Le Manufacturing Progress Thread

bgray

Hi Everyone!

Well, the buying period for the Edison LE Morgan has concluded and it's time for us to get busy building your pens!

I won't have an exact final tally until tomorrow. I'm waiting for my software to synchronize some last minute orders from late last night. But right now, it looks like we are at 88-90 pens. Around 39 Acrylic and 51 Ebonite. But like I said, I'll get a final number tomorrow.

When it comes to acrylic, we already have the material, and we're getting started today! Here's some raw Neon ready for the lathe....

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-Vmvpptg/0/XL/IMG_8094-XL.jpg

I'm checking on the ebonite now. The manufacturer was busy making the ebonite for us the last 3-4 weeks or so, and it should be ready to ship soon, but no promises until the material is actually at my door! I never make promises with deadlines until I have materials. This especially goes for international shipments where customs delays can occur.

So acrylic pens are being made now! Ebonite will depend on when the shipment arrives.

So we will put updates here! Stay tuned!

Brian at Edison

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-KWJMNJL/0/M/IMG_8010-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-JhVj52z/0/M/IMG_8008-M.jpg

Edited by bgray

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Jimmy James

• heymatthew

• crazystan

Seeing all that raw Neon Acrylic makes me wish I had enough dough for two pens. Really cool looking stuff. Can't wait to see the progress...Let the fun begin!

Thanks again Brian!

Looks great !

"As the purse is emptied, the heart is filled." -- Victor Hugo

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/centurycigar/2j26aaa_zpsf21706be.png

Brian, if it doesn't reveal too much about your methods, I have a question about the acrylic even though I bought an ebonite.

In the past, I think we've seen the acrylic come in blocks. Indeed, that's what I recall about my 2012 Pearl LEA pen's material. Ebonite on the other hand I have understood to come in rods.

It seems to me there could be two things happening: your Neon acrylic supplier might just send you rods instead of blocks or else you're running the blocks through a lathe or some other machine because you have found from experience that makes the process easier. Do you care to comment which it is?

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

:drool: I think I can see the rod with my number on it !

I wonder what number I've been allocated?

Can Edison Pens do both acrylic and ebonite similtaneously or do you have to finish say the acrylic ones completely first ?

I wish each pen came with a small disc (2mm or 1/8" thick)of the unworked rod with the number on it.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

Brian, if it doesn't reveal too much about your methods, I have a question about the acrylic even though I bought an ebonite.

In the past, I think we've seen the acrylic come in blocks. Indeed, that's what I recall about my 2012 Pearl LEA pen's material. Ebonite on the other hand I have understood to come in rods.

It seems to me there could be two things happening: your Neon acrylic supplier might just send you rods instead of blocks or else you're running the blocks through a lathe or some other machine because you have found from experience that makes the process easier. Do you care to comment which it is?

Materials come in one of the following...

1. Large Sheets that we cut into smaller square billets.

2. Square billets that we lightly trim to the size needed.

3. Round rods.

It just depends on the supplier. In some cases we have control over how the material comes to us, and in some cases we don't. It really doesn't matter to us. In the case of neon, round is just how it came to us.

Edited by bgray

I wish each pen came with a small disc (2mm or 1/8" thick)of the unworked rod with the number on it.

Can Edison Pens do both acrylic and ebonite similtaneously or do you have to finish say the acrylic ones completely first ?

It doesn't matter which we work - ebonite or acrylic. If all the materials happened to be here, then we'd be doing both at the same time. Since acrylic is here, we're working on it.

And good news - the ebonite is all manufactured. I'm placing my order tonight. If all goes well, it should be here within a week (but no promises considering possible customs clearance issues).

And when it comes to a small sample....honestly, you wouldn't be impressed. Raw unpolished stock doesn't look that amazing. Or maybe that's what you would find interesting? The difference between before and after?

You might be surprised at just how good a planner Brian can be. When it came to one of the two group buy pens I bought last year (Badger & Blade was the other) or maybe it was something else I heard about, I specifically remember Brian mentioning he used the last scrap of the material on the last finial he needed to make. I remember being very impressed. (ETA This may have been a pen he made for the FPGeeks guys)

Not to bug you with too mahy materials questions, Brian, but does the fact a material come in a rod make a large difference in whether you consider that material a candidate for a group buy pen? I got the idea last year it was mostly about rod length, but perhaps that was a misconception on my part.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Not to bug you with too mahy materials questions, Brian, but does the fact a material come in a rod make a large difference in whether you consider that material a candidate for a group buy pen? I got the idea last year it was mostly about rod length, but perhaps that was a misconception on my part.

No problem! Whether a material is square or round makes no difference to us. All it means is that with a square piece, the first outer diameter pass is a lot deeper and rougher when those corners are knocked off.

It doesn't matter which we work - ebonite or acrylic. If all the materials happened to be here, then we'd be doing both at the same time. Since acrylic is here, we're working on it.

And good news - the ebonite is all manufactured. I'm placing my order tonight. If all goes well, it should be here within a week (but no promises considering possible customs clearance issues).

And when it comes to a small sample....honestly, you wouldn't be impressed. Raw unpolished stock doesn't look that amazing. Or maybe that's what you would find interesting? The difference between before and after?

Honestly, I would find the before/after quite interesting. Having never seen unfinished material, it'd be worth a hoot.

Honestly, I would find the before/after quite interesting. Having never seen unfinished material, it'd be worth a hoot.

Understood. We'll consider this, for sure.

OK, some progress....

A few caps, 1st operation done....

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-xJBSvNd/0/S/IMG_8097-S.jpg

Finials, 1st operation done...

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-tjRMxZP/0/S/IMG_8098-S.jpg

Sections, and one complete pen....

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/2013-Limited-Edition-Morgan/i-hkzSSn9/0/S/IMG_8099-S.jpg

There's a little more to show than this, but I haven't had a lot of time to photograph today. I'll get more up later this week.

Understood. We'll consider this, for sure.

The before and after is fascinating and it would give us something to show anyone who sees our pens to understand how skillfully you've transformed the material.

Thanks for considering.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

I have to say the bit of material is an outstanding idea and if it cannot be accommodated in this sort of group buy setting would be a terrific addition to the presentation of a Signature level pen.

Yes, I would love to see a bit of the raw, unworked rod, too - interesting to see the before and after, as previously stated. I'm doing a presentation for my high school students on all things fountain pen in May, and I'm excited to be able to include the pen-making process (along with the spankin' new acrylic Morgan!). They would be fascinated getting to see what the pen starts as.

I, too, am intrigued by the bonus chunk concept. It'd be great for this LE, but it'd also be a nice addition for Signature line pens. :)

Noodler's Singapore Series Ink Samples for sale... check out the classifieds!