How Did You Customize Your Midori Traveler's Notebook?

maryannemoll

This is fantastic. I am new to the site, and what brought me here was (oddly enough not fountain pens) but how people use and customize a Midori Traveler's Notebook. I just purchased the passport size as a pocket sized sketch and notebook from Amazon for a reasonable price of $29.99 + shipping. I was looking for some ideas on how to handle the band that wraps around the body, as a knot in the back cover may be problematic in drawing and sketching. I love the creativeness that everyone has used to make their MTN so personalized. I'll have to share what I come up with, although it's going to be rather plain and simple.

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• maryannemoll

• jimhughes

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tedd, the great thing about the MTN is that it becomes unique to its user. Please post your comments and photos of what you do with your notebook.

. . . I was looking for some ideas on how to handle the band that wraps around the body, as a knot in the back cover may be problematic in drawing and sketching. . . .

You can:

-- Ignore it because it really isn't a problem.

-- Make a rigid insert to cover the lump. Which also affords a base for your pen loop. Details here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/travelernotebook/discuss/72157633299878325/

-- Move the hole in the leather( where the knot is) to the spine. I've not tried this but I don't imagine it would have any deleterious side effects.

post-107907-0-90487500-1383342040_thumb.jpg

Here’s how I modded my Midori Notebook: I made a plastic ‘button’ out of modeling styrene plastic. I drilled holes into the plastic so that the elastic cord would loop tight like a buckle. There are 5 holes total, on in the center where the cord pokes through the back cover, and two on each side of center. I threaded the cord into the loop holes and pulled them out to the length shown. This is just in case I decide to add another refill into the book- I have extra cord. I have the blank refill and the lined refill inserted, using elastic beading cord to hold them together. The bead is made of hematite (I think) with beading wire coiled on top to form a loop. I just tied it to the bookmark thread at a desired length. I’m keeping it simple so that it’s not ‘bulky’ for pocket carry. I am debating on getting the Midori pen loop. Like I mentioned earlier, I’m trying to keep it simple and thin for easy carry to jot down notes or a quick sketch.

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

I put stickers that came with expensive artisan cheese wheels I had bought at work as a chef. I collected about 23 cheeses brands, cow, sheep, goat, all kinds From american Midwest, California, New York, Italy, Spain, France ( the most stickers I have are from France) two are from Ireland which I hold with pride.

only thing is blank is the cover itself but inside are plastered with stickers. I will post when time comes.

within, i have blank rhodia linings, with some references of weights and measurement units. and the numbers and email of the vendors.

and i have a blotting ink pad that i made (same size as journal only slightly smaller) when im done writing i just put the ink blot pad on the page and close the midori for the day or such.

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I put stickers that came with expensive artisan cheese wheels I had bought at work as a chef.

I absolutely can't WAIT to see that - it sounds brilliant. Looking forward to some pictures!

I received my Midori passport from Amazon the other day and this is what I've done so far. Quite happy with the look...

Rhino on elastic band and a decoration lock charm on the bookmark

Pocket sticker on the front cover

Zippered Pocket, Kraft File Folder, Lined Notepad, Blank Notepad.

post-95756-0-61397600-1383614299_thumb.jpg

post-95756-0-78106300-1383614308_thumb.jpg

post-95756-0-42915500-1383614317_thumb.jpg

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Sarge:

Would you be willing to share where you found the Horizontally drilled Rhino? Looks very nice. Thanks, Jim

At a craft store called AC Moore. Got a whole box of similar (elephant, giraffe, lion) in varied colors for a few dollars.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

Here is my older full size and my newest Star Edition.

Full size = Kraft file, zipper file, lined notebook, 2013 vertical diary, front and rear flap stickers for documents

Star Edition = Kraft file, zipper file, Star Edition notebook, 2014 diary weekly.

Midori TN

Enjoy! :)

Edited by RPB

post-107907-0-46689200-1383786302_thumb.jpg

Here's an update on what I did to my Midori Notebook. I decided to add a pen loop, so I cut another piece of styrene plastic and drilled holes in the same spots as the other button I made. I then cut slots to accommodate a 1/2" elastic band cut to size. After getting it to the right sized loop, I stiched it together so it would stay put and not shift if I slipped a large pen in it. The design flaw is that the pen loop end is not attached to anything, so it can swivel out of place. I am thinking of getting the pen loop so that this does not occur. I am going between this Ohto Tashe fountain pen and a Fisher Bullet Space Pen. I also added a blotter sheet that I attached to one of the refill covers with a hand cut paper clip.

post-107907-0-37062600-1383786802_thumb.jpg

Yes I made my own and it turned out well. I got a scrap piece of black Latigo leather and cut it to be just a little bit bigger than the Midori. I got a couple of leather punches at the local Daiso store and cut out the needed holes. I then used elastic cord to tie it all together. The elastic tie is capped off at the end with a extra wood bead I had, with a bit of copper wire crimping it into place. I put Midori refills in it and it works fine. This leather is a little thicker than the Midori's, as it is used for belts and straps for saddles, but it is pliable. I'll probably be sitting on it for a while to get it to maintain its folded shape. I sealed the edges with a watered down wood glue, as it was suggested by a beltmaker I found online. (Probably to keep it eco-friendly) It cost about $15 for all the supplies and took me over an hour to make. I would probably need the pen loop and will seek that out.

• 1 year later...

I just got a Midori Traveler's but I am so unclear how I add more notebooks and customize it- I am not sure how to insert things- and how to use the extra rubber bands I purchased- any videos around or tutorials?

Thanks if you guys can direct me- I appreciate it as a newbie.

Ronnie

There is a video at gouletpens.com that shows how to insert more notebooks using rubber bands sold separately.

Look for the Midori Travelers Notebook then scroll down for the videos.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Yes, the Goulet video on this topic is excellent. Once you see it, it's pretty easy to figure out and works well. I use two Baron Fig apprentice notebooks in mine. Just google "goulet midori" and some youtube videos will come up.

Edited by sargetalon

I was at the Kansas City Gem and Mineral Show and bought some beads. I was inspired by all of you. No cool animal charm though. I also love that rhino.

I might use all of these, across the middle, if they fit right. I have the passport size Star Ferry version. post-48471-0-23583900-1426468641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

No AC Moore stores west of the Mississippi River. If I don't like the beads for the Midori, I'll check at Michaels (or drive further to check Joann Fabrics).

Posted Image

Well mine isn't exciting. I wanted to make it for a custom sort of sketchbooks, one made of rocks, one with watercolor paper, and one with Stonehenge printmaking paper.

The cover is Italian oil-leather I bought at Tandy:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/5c9b03c8-0ae6-4dd1-b1ef-48ac93a549b9_zpsajdovfmy.jpg

It isn't tidied up yet because I am still working out how I want it to work for me, and how many inserts of wtaercolor/printmaking/stone paper I'll want.

This is the non-fancy insert cover:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/33cdebb3-709e-49ed-b7bf-26cf4298c41c_zpsmvcgxxw7.jpg

And this is the stone paper:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/5ff905d0-ac5b-4f5e-99d7-1ce418e3b877_zpsfdyskngk.jpg

Have to tell you, Stone Paper feels like something Ed Gein would have developed. It feels almost like a synthetic latexy human skin that is cool. I wouldn't ever try a FP on it, although it feels very smooth to the touch it is abrasive enough to draw with dead-soft sterling rods and 24kt gold rods.

Below, to give you an idea of what Goldpointe sketching looks like, is a burr oak acorn I drew. The advantage of this paper is I don't have to prepare it with special grounds, and it is flexible, so I really wanted to try it out in a size that makes sense (metalpoint drawings can take forever.)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/final_atc_oak_zpsstcjm24h.jpg

And here is one in dead-soft silver, a stylized snowy egret.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/egret1_zpsj3gobpyk.gif

I'm very excited about the MTNs and the entire concept, this combined with the stone paper will allow me to do urban sketching in metalpoint the great outdoors :D And I am really fussy about the paper I draw on, so this lets me feed that fussiness yet be wholly portable without giant pads of paper etc.

PS hope it was okay to include the visual examples of what goldpoint and silverpoint are. They are my sketches so no copyrights have been offended :)

PS hope it was okay to include the visual examples of what goldpoint and silverpoint are. They are my sketches so no copyrights have been offended :)

Thanks for including the sketches, you did a great job! I for one, had no idea what gold and silverpoint sketching meant.

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk