How Did You Customize Your Midori Traveler's Notebook?

maryannemoll

apkayle, your Midori-like creation is adorable! I wish I could do my own notebooks like that.

heraclitus682, the Chronodex is the brainchild of Patrick Ng. It uses the radial format rather than the linear format of mapping out your time use. Each Chronodex core represents a 15-hour day, and you can shade the sections you want to. You can even color-code! I find it very useful because it gives me a quick visual representation of chunks of my time. I love it!

I will be posting some more photos here of my latest Midori customizations, including the Chronodex, so you can have a more visual idea of what I mean.

Edited by maryannemoll

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• maryannemoll

• jimhughes

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have customized my MTN even more and I use it for almost everything now. It has gotten quite thick but it can still hold itself together and it's still very stable. It's now my wallet, my Chronodex planner, my journal, my paper directory for the office, my brain dump, and my docket.

I was able to thread more nylon elastic strands through the holes to accommodate more refills. I have the Midori rubber bands but they didn't really work very well with me, so I thought of this hack, which works so much better.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/image-4.jpg

Then I put in my refills. One of them is the Chronodex. Here are some photos:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/image-7.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/image-8.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/image-9.jpg

Those colors I used don't really mean anything. I have not thought of color-coding yet, because that is actually my first Chronodex volume. But in my next Chronodex I have already assigned five colors to my five different categories, which will give me a more accurate representation of where my time goes.

The Chronodex is quite awesome. It uses the very familiar clock face to monitor time use. I can see just how much time I schedule and actually use for various tasks, such as errands, editing, writing, layout, answering emails, office meetings, command conferences, video shoots and photo shoots, post-production work, reading time, and personal downtime (almost zero for that!). It's also a handy tool to have for job billings that are on a per-hour basis.

For my color-coded notations and shadings on my Chronodex, I use the five-color Pilot Coleto, which fits perfectly in a small Midori pen holder:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/image-5.jpg

All in all, I have the following notebooks in my MTN:

- a zipped file that I use as my wallet and receptacle for a few blank checks (so I don't need to carry around my entire checkbook) and some bank transaction slips

- a docket for a novel that I have been working on

- a Chronodex (a MTN grid refill that I took apart, printed on, and then re-bound)

- another Chronodex, which will start in a week, after which time I shall remove the previous Chronodex and file it away

- a Midori Kraft file folder that holds loose papers and my business cards

- the office directory

- my journal, a Midori lightweight notebook refill

- one card file that holds one folding knife and 11 different cards (identification cards, driver's license, two bank cards, and selected rewards cards. I used to have two of this, to accommodate my 24 cards, but I have sworn off credit cards completely since March so I put all of my five (!) credit cards in storage, and no longer buy from the super high-end shops, so the rewards cards for those went into storage as well. (Yay for me! I hope I keep this up. Haha!)

I think I have the fattest -- and heaviest -- MTN, but it works for me. It's a little fatter than usual in the photo because i have not yet taken out some receipts for filing, and the current Chronodex is still there, to be taken out on June 24.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/image-3.jpg

Most days, in the office, and going to meetings and doing my errands, it's all I ever bring, in addition to my iPhone. As a very forgetful person, a notebook for jotting down ideas and reminders is very important, and having just one notebook for that is a life-saver. The trick that made the MTN work for me is to use it for almost everything. It has come to be my survival tool of sorts.

More on the Chronodex from its creator, Patrick Ng: http://scription.typepad.com/blog/2012/11/scription-chronodex-weekly-planner-jan-jun-2013-released-.html#.Ub0_U2QaxaC

Designing and printing my own Chronodex notebook, plus re-binding the Midori grid notebook that I print it on, takes about half a day, and each refill is good for a little more than two months. But I enjoy doing it, and having a good-looking planner that is customized for my needs help me manage my time more efficiently, and being able make my own Chronodex pages all by myself makes me feel empowered. Also, someone on FPN said that DIY projects are always good for the soul. Amen to that! And thanks to the MTN for allowing me countless opportunities for hacking it.

Edited by maryannemoll

Maryanne, thank you for the details of your current setup. I purchased a MTN over a month ago. While I love the look and feel of it, I just don't seem to be using it. Do you carry yours to work meetings for notes? Right now, I only have a refill for to-do lists and one for random notes. Your setup really resonates with my and now I'm curious about the Chronodex!

I really want to love my MTN, but I just can't seem to make it work (yet).

Hi, TMac! Just give it some time. You don't actually have to use it for what it was originally meant. Try using it for something you really enjoy. Turn it into a mini-folder for your stickers if you have a lot of stickers, or let it store your cards first, or use the elastics in the spine to hold cutouts for your vision board, or maps, or something, or you can even use it to carry your pens for a while (using the zipper file. Wait for it to grow on you, and in time, you'll think of how to make the MTN work for you.

Try a Chronodex core for just one day, and see if you like it. Print out a core on a small piece of sticker, and place it in your to-do notebook. It's kind of fun to use the Chronodex sporadically, and only on those really busy days in which you think it's close to being chaotic already. The Chronodex helps put things back in order.

Do let us know how it works out. But take your time, and just go with what feels most comfortable. Good luck, and have fun!

I find that if I have 3 or more notebooks in there that when I try to write on the end ones there is a big drop from the notebook stack on the right side and the left hand pages of the front notebook. Have you managed to get the notebooks to lie fairly flat?

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

My MTN lies flat, actually. I need only seconds to jot down notes on my Chronodex and on my various refills, so the big drop from the thick stack doesn't bother me at all. I write on them when I'm on the go, and so far I have not had problems with the thickness. The Chronodex and the brain dump notebook -- the notebooks I use most often -- are in the middle of the stack, so when I open the MTN to these notebooks, the thickness of the stack is pretty much the same between left and right.

However, when I am writing in my journal, the big drop becomes a problem. so when I am approaching the bottom of the page, I put a book against the bottom of the MTN and put my hand on top of that. Since I only write in my journal when I am desk bound and when most of the urgent matters at work have already been dealt with, then it's okay.

I forgot to include where I bought my Midori and I could no longer edit my post.

Anyway, I purchased my Midori from this wonderful seller in Japan. And their Midori TN products are so much cheaper. At 3,360 JPY, it converts to only 35 USD. And EMS (4 days, with full tracking and insurance) shipping from Japan to Manila cost only about 800 JPY or 8 USD.

And they have the brown regular-sized one in stock, plus all the refills, and the Star Edition Passport Size, with the special refills. Check it out. I love this seller. :notworthy1:

I have tried to contact this seller with no response. Am I doing something wrong. It seems the way it works is you put the items in your cart and submit then they contact you via email with shipping cost. Still waiting for them to contact me.

My experience was top flight with this group. Usually 24-48 Hours business day to tell me how much my total was with a Paypal Invoice. Shipping, IIRC, is a Wed or Friday Event. 7 days max to my front door in NM. Able to track all the way, their office to my doorstep. Usual disclaimers, no affiliation but a very happy client. Thank you Mary Ann for the original info and link. They are a favorite of mine. Jim

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Maryanne! Where did you get the brass plate made? Thanks!

Hi, Clem! The brass plate pictured was made by someone I found on Sulit. However, it was not made very well. It was too thin that it bent every which way, and the edges are so sharp that they cut into the leather and sometimes into my hands.

But I got a new brass plate made. It was made for me by Tato Faustmann of 7Castles. He is a friend of FPNer pemanila. This brass plate is much, much better, and I'm very happy with it.

Here is a photo.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/image-11.jpg

See how it's much thicker.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/IMG_8703.jpg

And the brass is really a true brass. It has been polished to a high shine, but I requested Tato not to coat it with the usual protective varnish, so that over time, it will tarnish naturally, and will acquire that nice patina.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/maryannemoll/IMG_8704.jpg

Edited by maryannemoll

Yay! Thanks Maryanne! I know Tato, we've been joining the pen meets. When are we seeing you there, too? :D

Oh, I certainly wish I had the time! Have been ogling your photo sets of your meets for years now. Hahaha!

If you do get a brass plate made for your MTN, I'd love to see photos!

Edited by maryannemoll

• 1 month later...

I forgot to include where I bought my Midori and I could no longer edit my post.

Anyway, I purchased my Midori from this wonderful seller in Japan. And their Midori TN products are so much cheaper. At 3,360 JPY, it converts to only 35 USD. And EMS (4 days, with full tracking and insurance) shipping from Japan to Manila cost only about 800 JPY or 8 USD.

And they have the brown regular-sized one in stock, plus all the refills, and the Star Edition Passport Size, with the special refills. Check it out. I love this seller. :notworthy1:

Wow ! All those delicious photographs !! :puddle:

I have been "researching" a bit of late, to buy my first Midori notebook and this link was super useful !! Thank you. I'm planning to put in an order from them sometime this week.

I'm ordering from the U.S (and for the first time something directly from Japan) and am wondering about possible customs duties or taxes that I should be aware of while ordering via EMS. Any pointers would be much appreciated :notworthy1:

Tempus Vincit Omnia