Nakaya Desk Pen Video Review

Earthdawn

So, if you want to say the name correctly, there is a way. If you have a hard time saying it correctly, that's cool, too, because we all know what "Nakiya" means when we hear it, just as I say "Moleskin" when I mean "Molaskeenah."

So I knew how to pronounce Nakaya. But how do you pronounce Naka-ai correctly? Is it Naka-eye?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Earthdawn

• JonSzanto

• JustinJ

Top Posters In This Topic

... now I should confess I was actually calling them back... I kinda called them last night and had to confirm something this morning :puddle:

What did you order?! Spill it! :bunny01:

... now I should confess I was actually calling them back... I kinda called them last night and had to confirm something this morning :puddle:

What did you order?! Spill it! :bunny01:

LOL... well....

1) Nakaya Neo Standard, Writer Kikyo (blue). Last one!

2) Fumigated Silver Plated Clip.

3) 14K Medium Soft nib with rhodium plating

4) Re-grind re-polish and adjust to Stub.

5) Snow Flower converter for Nakaya or Platinum fountain pen.

I went for the Neo Standard over the Naka-ai as the grip section is longer.

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/NeoWriterKikyoUncapped_zps24e3a5d9.jpg

Edited by Earthdawn

It all seems very easy for me, at this time: I pronounce Nakaya simply as "The Pen I Want".

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

So, if you want to say the name correctly, there is a way. If you have a hard time saying it correctly, that's cool, too, because we all know what "Nakiya" means when we hear it, just as I say "Moleskin" when I mean "Molaskeenah."

So I knew how to pronounce Nakaya. But how do you pronounce Naka-ai correctly? Is it Naka-eye?

Yesh :3

saving for my target ~

That's right. Three syllables with no emphasis on any one syllable. Nah - kah eye.

I don't think there is any need to add to what Ethernautrix has said about the pronunciation of Nakaya, she's explained it quite clearly. I would add though that the reason that some people might have thought that they heard it pronounced different ways by different native speakers could be because if spoken quickly the three separate syllables nah-kah-yah might sound slurred together into nah-kaiah. Just a thought.

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

how do you pronounce Naka-ai correctly? Is it Naka-eye?

Yep, pretty much. "Ai" is actually two syllables: "ah" and "ee," and when you say AH-EE, it does sound like "eye."

THANK YOU FOR CARING.

:-D Listen, again, I'm sorry for diverting attention away from ED's wonderful video review, but I grew up in a land where we were admonished "Don't call it 'Frisco!' If you love it, you love it enough to call it by its proper name." Oddly enough, I don't care if you call it 'Frisco, but I'll always pronounce all four syllables. Habit, ya know.

Earthdawn, I hope I haven't antagonized you with this, and I hope you'll do another video review, for your SECOND! Nakaya -- and if you say "Nakiya," I'll hear it as 'Frisco and just move along. :-)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

how do you pronounce Naka-ai correctly? Is it Naka-eye?

Yep, pretty much. "Ai" is actually two syllables: "ah" and "ee," and when you say AH-EE, it does sound like "eye."

THANK YOU FOR CARING.

:-D Listen, again, I'm sorry for diverting attention away from ED's wonderful video review, but I grew up in a land where we were admonished "Don't call it 'Frisco!' If you love it, you love it enough to call it by its proper name." Oddly enough, I don't care if you call it 'Frisco, but I'll always pronounce all four syllables. Habit, ya know.

Earthdawn, I hope I haven't antagonized you with this, and I hope you'll do another video review, for your SECOND! Nakaya -- and if you say "Nakiya," I'll hear it as 'Frisco and just move along. :-)

Are you kidding... where am I from? NY'rs are thick skinned and I like the depth our debate has gone.

Now of course I will do a review... and I am trying to figure out if I can do it without saying "Nakaya".. at least without laughing.

and ethernautrix you should or could change your title to "Nakaya Enabler" :ltcapd:

Are you kidding... where am I from? NY'rs are thick skinned and I like the depth our debate has gone.

Now of course I will do a review... and I am trying to figure out if I can do it without saying "Nakaya".. at least without laughing.

and ethernautrix you should or could change your title to "Nakaya Enabler" :ltcapd:

etherX in To Miasto

Right on. :-D

I almost said something about your being a New Yorker. FWIW, my brother thinks I'm a "born New Yorker," by which I think he means I can be a little, er... overbearing. Hahaha. Well, ya know, whaddya gonna do, hah?

I figured you'd be okay with this, but JUST IN CASE, ya know, just in case.... You're all right, ED. Figured as much.

P.S. Pen Posse sometimes calls me Nakayanautrix. :-)

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

This is a review of the Nakaya Desk Pen in Aka-Tamenuri with a Medium-soft nib.

FYI I was not sure so I did not say in the video, but confirmed today the feed is indeed plastic.

What a pen!

Great unboxing video!! Thanks for sharing this. :)

I'm afraid... but the pronunciation of the company

is 中屋(な-na か-kʌ や-ya).

This is another Nakaya fountain pen shop in Shimane

prefecture, Japan. Could you please listen to the pro-

nunciation (1:13).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIKBVOjVoc

Just for your information.

From Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

FYI I was not sure so I did not say in the video, but confirmed today the feed is indeed plastic.

What a pen!

is 中屋(な-na か-kʌ や-ya).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIKBVOjVoc

From Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

There we go !!!!!

OK... Now I got it .. Ill even do a little :bunny01: for that one.

Thank you VirtuThe3rd !!!

Ill put a link to your channel in the vides discription :happyberet:

PS anyone who has not seen the videos VirtuThe3rd has on his youtube channel... you must check them out. AWESOME insite into what goes into making these pens.

You're more than welcome.

I'm really glad you said so! :)

Have a good day,

VirtuThe3rd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvqTTEBM8po

Thank you for clarifying how to say Nakaya. I found a website that breaks down the sounds of Japanese very simply. The vowel system is much simpler than English, where an 'a' can have 4 different sounds, if you count the schwa sound.

It sounds like the end of Nakaya is long in Japanese from the video. Long vowels are longer in duration, not change in sound like English.

Pronouncing Japanese

What a pen!

is 中屋(な-na か-kʌ や-ya).

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3YIKBVOjVoc

From Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

Thank you for contributing this, Virtu. 私の母は日本人です. We lived in Japan for four years when I was a baby, so I started life learning to speak both Japanese and English. After we moved back to the U.S., I went to "Saturday school" and took Japanese classes for three years in middle school, but I just never learned to become fluent, and my mother spoke to me only in English, so.... :-(

Do you know the TV program, Made In Japan?

etherX in To Miasto

You're more than welcome.

I'm really glad you said so! :)

Have a good day,

VirtuThe3rd

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vvqTTEBM8po

I like this video, and I like your handwriting, which is clean and simple and has character. Nice!

Have you written with a Nakaya?

etherX in To Miasto

... says The Pimp. You are shameless, E, shameless I say!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

... says The Pimp. You are shameless, E, shameless I say!

This is beginning to feel more and more like a cult. Next, we will be going door to door proselytizing. Oh the shame, what I've gotten myself into.

Edited by JustinJ

Teehee! I am hoping that Mr. Nakata will, indeed, attend the Poland Pen Show, so I can buy one from him directly. The thrill!

etherX in To Miasto