Learning To Draw With Pen & Ink

daniellem

Oh my. Yes that one is next on my radar, and I'm dreading it, too. Going from exercise 2 (the rocks) to this, is like going from kindergarten to college sophomore. Yikes!

It's not too bad once you get started -- I've made some headway into inking over the pencil sketch, and so far it's not as scary as I thought it would be. But I'm still only on step 1... blink.gif Looking forward to hearing how it's going for you! I definitely recommend using a pen with an extra fine nib -- there is a LOT of detail in there!

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daniellem

• Sailor Kenshin

• candidvn

• notbob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I deviated from the exercise format because that chateau is freaking intimidating.

It's bluebonnet season here in Texas and I managed to get a bottle of Noodler's Texas Bluebonnet this year while Dromgoole's still had some. I wonder if these inks are seasonal. There are other Texas themed inks I've found out about that would be awesome for more art of this sort.

http://i.imgur.com/5lQJV3k.jpg

Done today with 2 pens: My standby Pilot Namiki Soft Fine loaded with J Herbin Perle Noire. Color added by crowquill using Noodler's Texas Bluebonnet and Diamine Kelly Green.

----

Oh, pens, all of you are my favorite! TWSBI, Jinhao, Montblanc, Waterman, Danish Penol De Luxe flexy pen, Cross, -- I can't choose between you! That would just be wrong.

---

I like your bluebonnets, teenytina! That is a very nice blue ink color, too.

So wow, demo 3 was not as bad as I anticipated -- I actually had tons of fun with it! Favorite parts were the textures on the roof and shadowed sections of the castle:

fpn_1366441549__lohan-chateau2.jpg

There is a silly amount of mistakes in this one, but I think most of them stem from the fact that I didn't take as much care with the initial drawing as I should have. The author advocates creating a much more detailed initial drawing than final artwork, that way you don't have to guess about where any details are positioned in the inking stage. After going through this one I can see why he does that, and I'll definitely spend more time tweaking the pencil sketch next time.

So wow, demo 3 was not as bad as I anticipated -- I actually had tons of fun with it! Favorite parts were the textures on the roof and shadowed sections of the castle:

There is a silly amount of mistakes in this one, but I think most of them stem from the fact that I didn't take as much care with the initial drawing as I should have. The author advocates creating a much more detailed initial drawing than final artwork, that way you don't have to guess about where any details are positioned in the inking stage. After going through this one I can see why he does that, and I'll definitely spend more time tweaking the pencil sketch next time.

Thats absolutely wonderful. As far your 'mistakes' are concerned.... i wouldnt call them mistakes. They are 'artist's touches'- what makes a drawing your own, even if you copy it from another source. Keep it up!!

Regards,

Subramaniyam

One question- Do you rub off the pencil marks after going over them with pen? I dont make initial sketches with pencils when i draw; everything is drawn with pen at one shot. Doesnt rubbing over the pen drawing affect its color?

damiellem, thank you for your input on the Lohan/Nice books. I have several of the Claudia Nice books and I do like them but find I'm not disciplined enough to follow these step by steps very well. I usually just jump right in and do my own thing. Not always such a good thing. I did break down and order the Lohan book and it should be here on Monday :). Let me just say that you did an amazing job on the castle.

teenytina, I really love your bluebonnet sketch. Plenty of detail and yet has a spontaneous feel to it. That's exactly what I would love to achieve.

This is one that I just completed. I was going to add an ink wash but once again I overworked the ink :headsmack: and I don't think the results would be especially pleasing. I think I'll just add a little texture to the church with some stippling and call it done.

post-70913-0-55171600-1366469323.jpg

Can't wait for the book to arrive :).

damiellem, thank you for your input on the Lohan/Nice books. I have several of the Claudia Nice books and I do like them but find I'm not disciplined enough to follow these step by steps very well. I usually just jump right in and do my own thing. Not always such a good thing. I did break down and order the Lohan book and it should be here on Monday :). Let me just say that you did an amazing job on the castle.

teenytina, I really love your bluebonnet sketch. Plenty of detail and yet has a spontaneous feel to it. That's exactly what I would love to achieve.

This is one that I just completed. I was going to add an ink wash but once again I overworked the ink :headsmack: and I don't think the results would be especially pleasing. I think I'll just add a little texture to the church with some stippling and call it done.

Can't wait for the book to arrive :).

That is beautiful, especially the trees. How did you do them?

Regards,

Subramaniyam

I think I'll just add a little texture to the church with some stippling and call it done.

Oh no!

Please finish the church as finely as the rest of the drawing. The shadowing on the tower and the adjacent roof, and even the trees, is excellent beyond belief. It's freakin' beautiful! The rest of the drawing deserves as much attention to detail as you've already lavished.

Don't skimp, now! And also, show us the completed drawing. Please!

nulla dies sine linea

Thank you, Subramaniyam! I do rub off the pencil marks after going over everything in pen. The paper I am using is very thick and it handles erasing without any problems at all. I don't notice that the ink changes color at all, but I have to be very patient and wait until well after the ink looks dry to avoid smudges. I don't know if it's just the Noodler's ink, but it seems to take awhile to settle into the paper.

post-70913-0-55171600-1366469323.jpg

Thank you Rita; your church drawing is superb! Like Subramaniyam, I especially love what you did with the trees -- both in achieving a true sense of perspective and depth, and in how each tree appears separate and distinct while blending together perfectly with the scene. Do you have any tips for how to achieve that? Such an inspiring drawing! Are you finding that you enjoy the pen and ink work as much as you enjoy the graphite work that you do?

That is beautiful, especially the trees. How did you do them?

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Thank you Subramaniyam.

As you can see from the close-up of the trees they are nothing more than random scribbly lines.

post-70913-0-44148500-1366556904.jpg

Oh no!

Please finish the church as finely as the rest of the drawing. The shadowing on the tower and the adjacent roof, and even the trees, is excellent beyond belief. It's freakin' beautiful! The rest of the drawing deserves as much attention to detail as you've already lavished.

Don't skimp, now! And also, show us the completed drawing. Please!

notbob, thanks so much for the kind words. I wasn't exactly planning on skimping :lol: it's just that the building really doesn't have much texture. I'll do my best with adding the rest of the shadows and will post the results. The original image is only 5X7 and I'm finding it's starting to look cluttered. I had hoped for this to be a much looser sketch.

Thank you Rita; your church drawing is superb! Like Subramaniyam, I especially love what you did with the trees -- both in achieving a true sense of perspective and depth, and in how each tree appears separate and distinct while blending together perfectly with the scene. Do you have any tips for how to achieve that? Such an inspiring drawing! Are you finding that you enjoy the pen and ink work as much as you enjoy the graphite work that you do?

Tips ? Goodness, with my pen and ink sketches I'm still at a point where if things work out it's more of a happy accident than anything else. That's where I'm hoping the Lohan book will help me. I just tried to darken the edge of the adjacent trees to create some sort of separation. I think graphite will always be my great love. I'm really having fun with the pen and ink but I definitely feel more confident about the pencil work.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys :).

I especially love what you did with the trees -- both in achieving a true sense of perspective and depth, and in how each tree appears separate and distinct while blending together perfectly with the scene. Do you have any tips for how to achieve that?

Tips ? Goodness, with my pen and ink sketches I'm still at a point where if things work out it's more of a happy accident than anything else. That's where I'm hoping the Lohan book will help me.

You will love the Lohan book then. After the initial exercises, he covers a number of ways to sketch trees, from being very detailed to sketching them in the background in such a way that the viewer's mind suggests the rest.

All in all this is a lot of fun, and Daniellem, I think your description of your experience with Exercise 3 is building enough confidence in me that i just might try it! and I just might semi-eyeball it again. I had an idea when reading another drawing book, where they discussed a number of ways to ensure that your drawing has the correct balance and perspective, and I think I might try superimposing a grid over the image and copying it that way. Rather than drawing the perspective grid over the images in my Lohan book, I'll print a set of different size grids on inkjet transparencies and go from there. My dot-grid rhodia already has a built in grid. That way over time I hope to train my eye for perspective in the way that it's trained pretty well for measuring distance (learned from sewing). :) Sharing in the hope that it's a tactic useful for you as well.

Edited by teenytina

----

Oh, pens, all of you are my favorite! TWSBI, Jinhao, Montblanc, Waterman, Danish Penol De Luxe flexy pen, Cross, -- I can't choose between you! That would just be wrong.

---

I had an idea when reading another drawing book, where they discussed a number of ways to ensure that your drawing has the correct balance and perspective, and I think I might try superimposing a grid over the image and copying it that way. Rather than drawing the perspective grid over the images in my Lohan book, I'll print a set of different size grids on inkjet transparencies and go from there. My dot-grid rhodia already has a built in grid. That way over time I hope to train my eye for perspective in the way that it's trained pretty well for measuring distance (learned from sewing). :) Sharing in the hope that it's a tactic useful for you as well.

This is a really good idea -- I especially like the idea to use the dot grid Rhodia paper rather than drawing out a grid on the working surface. I will definitely plan on trying this, thank you!

This is a really good idea -- I especially like the idea to use the dot grid Rhodia paper rather than drawing out a grid on the working surface. I will definitely plan on trying this, thank you!

If you like the paper you have, you could always use a different size grid between your paper and a lightbox.

----

---

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1366441549__lohan-chateau2.jpg

danellem, you've also inspired me to pick up Lohan's book and so far it's wonderful! He explains everything so well. I've reached the 3rd exercise and, like others, it appears daunting to me!

Thank you for this thread!

danellem, you've also inspired me to pick up Lohan's book and so far it's wonderful! He explains everything so well. I've reached the 3rd exercise and, like others, it appears daunting to me!

Thank you for this thread!

penultress, I'm so glad you are enjoying the Lohan book and exercises! I definitely recommend just jumping in to exercise 3 -- it's not as difficult as it looks once you get into it. And I've found that once done, it boosts your confidence in jumping into the following exercises at well. He is a very good teacher, our Mr. Lohan! :-)

I had an idea when reading another drawing book, where they discussed a number of ways to ensure that your drawing has the correct balance and perspective, and I think I might try superimposing a grid over the image and copying it that way. Rather than drawing the perspective grid over the images in my Lohan book, I'll print a set of different size grids on inkjet transparencies and go from there. My dot-grid rhodia already has a built in grid. That way over time I hope to train my eye for perspective in the way that it's trained pretty well for measuring distance (learned from sewing). :smile: Sharing in the hope that it's a tactic useful for you as well.

Another, more helpful, thing you can do is learn all about perspective vanishing points such as 2-point, 3-point, 6-point, etc, and horizon lines. This will be waaay more beneficial in the long run if you can properly learn how to set up the perspective using VPs as opposed to a gridded overlay.

My Lohan book has arrived and I look forward to trying the exercises.

I'll be going on an extended trip to Hungary to visit relatives and plan to take the book with me. Hopefully it will be a distraction during my 7.5 hour layover.

I have finally finished the church drawing I posted earlier in the thread.This was supposed to be a loose sketch with ink wash. I guess it didn't exactly turn out that way :lol: .

Pen and ink on Fabriano HP watercolor paper.

post-70913-0-99389200-1367964277_thumb.jpg

Another, more helpful, thing you can do is learn all about perspective vanishing points such as 2-point, 3-point, 6-point, etc, and horizon lines. This will be waaay more beneficial in the long run if you can properly learn how to set up the perspective using VPs as opposed to a gridded overlay.

I agree. When I look at all the drawings I've done in the past year, the main problems that I notice all have to do with perspective. I definitely need to spend some time figuring this out. There are so many books out there that deal with perspective in art -- any recommendations?

My Lohan book has arrived and I look forward to trying the exercises.

I'll be going on an extended trip to Hungary to visit relatives and plan to take the book with me. Hopefully it will be a distraction during my 7.5 hour layover.

I have finally finished the church drawing I posted earlier in the thread.This was supposed to be a loose sketch with ink wash. I guess it didn't exactly turn out that way :lol: .

Pen and ink on Fabriano HP watercolor paper.

attachicon.gifPacini katolikus templom 100.jpg

This drawing was amazing before, but the texturing on the church really makes a difference. Absolutely marvelous. I love it.

Have a wonderful time on your trip, Rita! I bet there will be tons of inspiring sites where you are going for future pen and ink sketches!