Lamy Black

mAnuscript69

Seeing as there is only one review of Lamy Black thus far, I decided to do a quick review of this ink. This is my first ink review and I must admit that I didn't really have a plan of what to include and just went for it.

I do not claim to have the best handwriting in the world.

fpn_1363775742__lb1_r.jpg

High Resolution Scan

fpn_1363775779__lb2_r.jpg

High Resolution Scan

I've corrected the scans to my best abilities but some quality is lost in the scanning process. Here's a photo taken from a digital camera:

fpn_1363776193__dsc07026_r.jpg

High Resolution

Transcript of the notes about this ink:

- Swab with Q tip starts extremely wet, swabbed till relatively dry; depicting ink saturation

- Flow is average though a little on the dry side

- Lubrication is average

- Not much shading to be seen, there's a little in wet and broad nibs but it is elusive

- Ink dries fairly quickly, even on glossy paper

- Lamy Black is great for cheap paper. It doesn't bleed or feather even with broad nibs

- Lamy Black is darker than Waterman Black but nowhere near as dark as Noodler's Black

- Lamy Black has sort of a matte/velvety look when dry while Waterman's is more glossy

- No problems cleaning Lamy Black from pens

- 30ml bottle does not come with blotting paper

- Waterproofness was surprising. Unlike Lamy Blue, Lamy Black fared better. Water was dripped on the writing, left for ten seconds before dripped off and blotted.

Additional notes:

- Writing in red was done with a Kaweco Sport Classic with a fine nib, ink is Diamine Oxblood

- No prominent smell/odour from the ink

- Lamy Black fades a little over time as with Waterman Black, giving it a slight washed out look.

Conclusion

Lamy Black is a low maintenance, well behaved ink. It isn't the darkest, most saturated black ink available but it certainly isn't the faintest either. It is suitable as a daily writing ink with its low cost and low maintenance, as well as some water resistance to boot! If you are looking for a very deep, intense black which doesn't fade, Lamy Black isn't for you. If you're looking for a hassle free, inexpensive black ink for large volumes of writing, Lamy Black will get the job done.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mAnuscript69

• Bo Bo Olson

• torstar

• amberleadavis

Well done.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Well done.

Thanks, Bo Bo. It was fun doing this review and I'm considering doing more in the future, especially on inks that haven't gotten much reviews yet.

Nice review!

Your conclusion is very similar to mine (I've been using Lamy Black almost daily for about a year). It's a nice black that behaves well in all of my pens, which is more than I can say for some other brands of black ink. Lamy's water-resistance was an unexpected bonus.

Also, the 30 ml. bottle makes a great traveling inkwell! Unfortunately, the 30 ml. bottles are generally unavailable in the U.S. as Lamy USA only imports the 50 ml. size. I was able to purchase a 30 ml. bottle on a recent trip to Germany.

Giving it a whirl currently from my Goulet sample vial.

It writes well in my Delta Oro Oversize (med) and doesn't creep across the nib like others from that monthly delivery.

Nice review!

Your conclusion is very similar to mine (I've been using Lamy Black almost daily for about a year). It's a nice black that behaves well in all of my pens, which is more than I can say for some other brands of black ink. Lamy's water-resistance was an unexpected bonus.

Also, the 30 ml. bottle makes a great traveling inkwell! Unfortunately, the 30 ml. bottles are generally unavailable in the U.S. as Lamy USA only imports the 50 ml. size. I was able to purchase a 30 ml. bottle on a recent trip to Germany.

I was quite surprised to find 30ml Lamy bottles here too. Online stores only stock the 50ml varieties but I picked this one up at a brick and mortar store. I agree that they make great bottles to decant other inks into, once empty.

Giving it a whirl currently from my Goulet sample vial.

It writes well in my Delta Oro Oversize (med) and doesn't creep across the nib like others from that monthly delivery.

I haven't noticed any nib creep from this ink though I can't say the same for Noodler's Black. I'm not really bothered by nib creep but I know a lot of people are!

I haven't noticed any nib creep from this ink though I can't say the same for Noodler's Black. I'm not really bothered by nib creep but I know a lot of people are!

One recently sampled blank ink would leave a lot of ink on the nib, had to wipe it every 30 minutes or so when using.

One thing that I don't like about this ink is that fades yellowish after some time.

If Lamy could fix this, would be my first black ink

Currently I have my TWSBI 540 and a Sheaffer Imperial inked with Lamy Black. It performs and behaves so well, I'm not even considering another black. I'm very happy with the ink.

Thanks for the review - I look forward to more.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

One thing that I don't like about this ink is that fades yellowish after some time.

If Lamy could fix this, would be my first black ink

Great review OP.

I have some notes for college I took last year and the notes were stored in a climate controlled room. I went back to look at them and the ink is fading already. So for long term storage it is not the best option.

“Left-handers are wired into the artistic half of the brain, which makes them imaginative, creative, surprising, ambiguous, exasperating, stubborn, emotional, witty, obsessive, infuriating, delightful, original, but never, never, dull" James T deKay and Sandy Huffaker

• 2 weeks later...

deleted

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I came looking for just this review, sort of weird to find it on the top of the list. Nice review good work.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

• 2 months later...

thank you for this detailed review. I got a free bottle of lamy black ink and I was thinking of using it for a while :o

Thank you for the review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 7 months later...

I have found that my Lamy black develops a slight metallic sheen of a sort of brownish golden color when dry. It is only visible under direct light reflected at an angle. I am kind of fond of it.

See one picture up close at an angle and one straight top-down for comparison.

post-108756-0-25092700-1389189750_thumb.jpg

post-108756-0-79652400-1389189758_thumb.jpg

got mine free with a lamy 2000, ironically, this inks behaves very well in all my pens except my lamy 2000. :s

Nice review. I have some Lamy cartridges and use it occasionally. I give the nod to Pelikan for the bang-to-buck performance with the "cheap" inks.

• 3 months later...

I've just injected water into a mostly-empty Lamy black cartridge to dilute the remaining ink to about 1:1, and I now have a rather nice dark grey that has all the good lubricating and non-feathering qualities of Lamy black but also shades a bit ... nice!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

got mine free with a lamy 2000, ironically, this inks behaves very well in all my pens except my lamy 2000. :s

L2000 don't like kon-peki too.