Iroshizuku Shin-Kai

mhphoto

Here's a great dark blue Iroshizuku ink from their recent release of the last three of their collection. The sample was kindly provided for this review by member Terminal, thanks! :thumbup:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/IroshizukuShin-Kai1.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/IroshizukuShin-Kai2.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/IroshizukuShin-Kai3.jpg

On a side note, my reviews are going to look a little different for a while. The new computer is too new for my old scanner, so all new reviews (most of which are already written) will be photographed using sunlight and a custom white balance to better represent the true color of the inks. I'll also be going back and re-photographing some old reviews with inaccurate scans.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rafael Macia

• jasonchickerson

• Abner C. Kemp

• Northcorner

What aspect of the other Iroshizukus have you been disappointed in (aside from cost)?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

This looks a great ink but it will be one I probably won't be buying due to the cost, at the moment. Good review too.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I don't have any prussian blue but it's interesting how similar it is. Looks like the prussian has less shading though, is that what you see in person? Sei-boku really seems to have more shading... pretty nice and a lot cheaper.

One thing about shin-kai is the sheen. I posted this in another thread, but it's fun to play with:

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/omasArtDeco-12.jpg

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/omasArtDeco-16.jpg

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• 1 month later...

very nice blue :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

it looks quite similar to tsuki-yo on my computer screen..

It's way different than Tsuki-Yo, which has lots of green in it. Tsuki-

Yo is more a deep teal than a blue.

I just traded a bottle of Tsuki-Yo, for a bottle of Shin-Kai, and could not be happier.

The drying time is longer than the Tsuki-yo, but a small amount of 99% alcohol in the Shin-Kai will speed that up.

The Iroshikuru inks are a cut above a lot of inks available.

I think they are worth the extra cost

"Beautiful is that which happens without interest"

Kant

It's way different than Tsuki-Yo, which has lots of green in it. Tsuki-

Yo is more a deep teal than a blue.

I just traded a bottle of Tsuki-Yo, for a bottle of Shin-Kai, and could not be happier.

The drying time is longer than the Tsuki-yo, but a small amount of 99% alcohol in the Shin-Kai will speed that up.

The Iroshikuru inks are a cut above a lot of inks available.

I think they are worth the extra cost

I don't think adding alcohol is a good idea. There is a potential of damaging components of some pens, possibly softening of gasket or o-rings. Let see if others who know more about this can comment to my gut feeling.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I will start a thread about it.

"Beautiful is that which happens without interest"

Kant

• 1 year later...

I don't usually love blue inks. But your excellent review here and the shots of sheen made me buy a sample. Thanks for the both.

Hopefully it will do as well in my everyday pens. I'll likely be getting a bottle with the next order I place at Goulet's. I sampled it in a dip pen and was impressed. I'll have my own review up soon.

Great Stuff. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Shin-Kai is a subtle and easily underrated ink IMHO. I love it. I don't think it's like Prussian Blue (which I think is "blah"), it has more depth and complexity.

Shin-Kai is a subtle and easily underrated ink IMHO. I love it. I don't think it's like Prussian Blue (which I think is "blah"), it has more depth and complexity.

Shin-kai definitely leans just slightly red.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Great review!

I have ordered my bottle of Shin-Kai a few days ago. Hopefully it arrive soon so I can squander some sheets of Rhodia paper.

I am looking forward to see the shading of this ink.

Regards,

Martin.

Let the ink flow freely

I also had a sample of this ink and was incredibly impressed with it. It is a blue-black with some very nice character and I was surprised at how well it shaded. Flow was maybe slightly drier than other Iro inks which I actually kind of prefer. It is expensive but I also found it to be one of the most interesting blue-blacks I've ever used -- and I am a blue-black fanatic.