Non-Erasable Ink

SFCharlie

Hi,

For a Green ink with an I-G component, you could take advantage of the capability to safely intermingle R&K inks (other than Sepia) by mixing R&K Salix with one of the R&K Yellow inks.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SFCharlie

• Ondina

• Sandy1

• mirosc

So your normal Clairefontaine 80g printing paper will suffice for journalwriting or should one look for paper with a higher grammage?

Please advise... ^

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart."

~ William Wordsworth (1770-1850)

hi SFCharlie,

The last few weeks alot of people ask me when I will make my next batch of my iron gall inks, but due to my time-consuming occupation I will only be able to brew a new batch in a few weeks. Those already on the list will be served first. Again: sorry for the inconvenience and your patience :embarrassed_smile: , as I am not doing this not commercially. The time I am putting in making these inks is hardly enough to cover the costs (material, shipping costs, packaging etc.). The expensive pharmaceutical quality of the ingredients to brew the inks, does not help to alleviate the price.

For you specifically my green-black iron gall ink called "Darkening Absinthe" might be suitable. It is a true ferro-gallotannate ink (unlike commercial iron gall inks, which are ferro-gallate inks, omitting the more durable tannic acid) and is formulating using dyes, which are pretty fade-resistant.

Other inks I make are:

-Urkundentinte (Standard Government Document ink, a true high saturated iron gall ink, based on the german and federal document ink specifications for archival purposes). This ink contains 2.5x more permanent ferro-gallotannate constituents compared to the other more "colorfull" iron gall inks, which are:

-Darkening Absinthe (green-black)

-Turkish Night (turquoise/cyan-black)

-Purpura Imperialis (purple-black)

-Oriens-Occidens (orange-black)

-Terra Incinerata (brown/sepia-black)

-Sang Real (red-black)

The Urkundentinte is completely water- and solvent resistent after proper oxidation. The other less saturated colored iron gall inks will bleed more or less, but the permanent ferro-gallotannate body will last on the paper surface, when immersed in water.

If interested contact me via PM.

Pharmacist, a member here, makes high quality ferrogalic inks in diverse colors. He is Benelux based, if you contact him he will quite probably provide you an Iron Gall ink in green. Keeping a log since 8 years old is something impressive, congratulations.

+1 on that.

I have used several of Pharmacist's inks and if you're looking for green there is Turkish Night (cyan/turquoise morphing to a teal green) and Darkening Absinthe (green turning to black), both of which I have used, and like.

If the color shift is bothersome, you might try the trick someone on FPN posted about a while back -- he added vinegar to a fill of Turkish Night to keep the cyan color, and I suspect (although have not personally tried) that the same trick would work with Darkening Absinthe to keep it green.

In addition, he is a great guy to deal with. I just wish that the shipping rates from Belgium to the US were not so high....

I'll admit, I'm staggered by your perseverance. I had one of those 5 year diaries (the ones with the lock and key) when I was a kid, but it's only in the last few years that I started keeping a journal seriously. I think I'm on about volume 20, but while I use the discipline of three pages first thing every morning, I have used a variety of journals over the years, and have tended to swap out colors more or less daily, once I discovered that there was more to the world than Quink Washable Blue (and then, Permanent Blue) cartridges.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wouldn't the excess acidity by adding vinegar reduce the stability of the paper and/or the ink?

Wouldn't the excess acidity by adding vinegar reduce the stability of the paper and/or the ink?

Dunno -- haven't tried it myself. I just thought "Oh cool, a way to keep that lovely cyan color." Chemistry was never my strong suit (mostly because in high school I got stuck in the class at the end of the day, in which there were only two other girls -- and a lot of sweaty guys who had just come from gym class. :sick:; and generally, my lab partner was a jerk who smoked menthol cigarettes when not actually in class).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."