What Am I Doing Wrong?

steelwolf

I've been reading a bit on the Levenger site,customer reviews to be specific and quite a few seem not to be very happy with their True Writers out of the box. I don't know what Levenger is doing about it other than contacting the unhappy parties. Ive read about many that have on or two good starts and after that the pen just doesn't perform. Maybe it's your pen and you should contact Levenger.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jar

• steelwolf

• Shutterbug57

I have not used Skies of Blue, but Levenger Cobalt Blue bleeds through worse than any ink I have used. The ink flows well and I love the color, but I don't routinely use any paper that will let me use that ink on both sides of the page. I didn't see any indication that you were having flow or skipping issues, so I suspect there is nothing wrong with the pen or the feed. My Levenger Truewriter (fine) is one of my best pens.

Hang in there, find some ink samples you like, and relax. I am confident your patience will be rewarded. But don't put up with a writing experience you don't like based on what any of us think. The Pilot Center of Gravity pens are nice ballpoints, and if you still like them better at the end of the day, don't worry about it. That's OK, too.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

Welcome, and don't lose hope! These are fixable problems, and they don't involve learning to write differently (you already said you weren't pressing hard), buying more expensive stuff, or (probably) giving up your really nice Clairefontaine paper.

First question: where do you live? If you are in an area that has an active pen group, or a pen show coming up (Check on the Clubs, Meetings, Events Forum), run, don't walk, to the next meeting along with your pen, ink, and paper. Folks there will be happy to troubleshoot for you in person and maybe even try some simple adjustments. (The solution may be as simple as gently squeezing the tines of the nib together a bit, but don't worry about that right now.) And everyone will be happy to meet someone as dedicated to fountain pens as you've proved you are.

Second, as many others have said, buy a bottle of a drier ink: Waterman, Pelikan, Quink. You can use Amazon or even a local office-supply store or (if you can find one any more) stationer's. Flushing the pen and filling it with a different ink will probably make a world of difference.

Third, let us know how you are doing! If you are still having problems with the new ink, folks here can help with adjustments.

Oh, and did we say welcome?

ron

Waterman three-four years ago was a wet ink; when I was noobie. Since then many wet Noodler inks have come in and shoved the old 'wet' into medium or 'dry'.

Get Pelikan 4001 or a blue black gall ink.

4001 has some nice colors too. Blue is a bit blaaa but shades on 90 g and above paper. Turquoise is well liked as is the violet. The brown is a reddish brown. I like the green a lot. The black was once the second best black after Aurora...but on poor paper and a skinny nib it will be sort of gray.

The wetter Noodler has many darker blacks now, than even Aurora; a somewhat wet ink. Noodler does have a super fast drying ink...I just don't know how dry it is.

Pelikan decided it was not going to dink around with the crazy US Government in a minor market...the US and change it's formula for it's very nice blue black.

Lamy caved in to the US Government's blue-black BS. It has a very good turquoise; better on 90g paper and above for shading. Very good bottles.

It's green is not liked, it's violet in cartridge only is well liked.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Same as above....my only additional advice would be to try samples of Waterman and Pelikan inks. I used Waterman ink cartridges for years before "branching out" and it was virtually fool-proof. I've recently tried the Pelikan Edelstein inks, and they seem excellent--very smooth, and a good wet/dry balance. Also, I've tried the J. Herbin scented inks (yeah, I know), and they were quite dry and a bit stingy-flowing in what are normally nice medium-flow pens.

Good luck, and don't give up! Like most things in life, using fountain pens are trial & error--mostly error, which can be a real trial. But when it finally goes right, it's a true delight.

1988 Mercedes-Benz 260E

"Nothing will make a driver more faithful to a car than a car that is faithful to its driver."

Holy cow, somehow I didn't get notifications of replies and there have been a lot of posts.

It makes sense that there might be some problem with the combination of ink and flow. It really does feel like ink is pouring out of the pen whenever I try to write. The review quinden linked sounds a lot like my experience: pen-turned-firehose and wild feathering on most paper. Is it possible that it could just be a bad batch from Levenger? I'm wondering if it's worth writing to them about it and trying with a fresh bottle.

Thanks for the tips about fine handwriting, Geo7700. It's good to hear that that isn't just me. It seems that at least with wet inks, the lines are a lot thicker than I expected, perhaps because I'm used to writing with roller balls at 0.5 and 0.7 mm. I could definitely see a 0.3 mm nib working nicely if I wanted to keep using this ink.

The encouragement and welcome is very heartening - thank you all! I'm in SoCal - there's got to be some other pen-lovers around here, right? ;)

It would be nice to be able to write on the backs of pages, or, heaven forbid, be able to write on Moleskine journals again. They're not nearly as good as the Rhodias but they're definitely cheaper, especially if I can only use one side of the page. As it is currently Moleskine paper bleeds through so badly the following page is ruined as well. Sounds like I'm not alone on that one.

I like the idea of getting some ink samples so I'm not committed to whole bottles while I try to figure out what works best for me. I'm not particularly married to the TrueWriter pen and I'd love to have a collection at some point, but right now finances are tight for me.

Day late ...

Unfortunately you just missed the LA Pen show. Wander down to the Clubs Meetings and Events section and watch for gatherings in your area. They are get places to get hands on experience and fondle a whole bunch of different pens, to soak up experience, see and try different inks. Generally pen folk love to share their experiences and help others.

My Website

Waterman three-four years ago was a wet ink; when I was noobie. Since then many wet Noodler inks have come in and shoved the old 'wet' into medium or 'dry'.

Get Pelikan 4001 or a blue black gall ink.

4001 has some nice colors too. Blue is a bit blaaa but shades on 90 g and above paper. Turquoise is well liked as is the violet. The brown is a reddish brown. I like the green a lot. The black was once the second best black after Aurora...but on poor paper and a skinny nib it will be sort of gray.

The wetter Noodler has many darker blacks now, than even Aurora; a somewhat wet ink. Noodler does have a super fast drying ink...I just don't know how dry it is.

Pelikan decided it was not going to dink around with the crazy US Government in a minor market...the US and change it's formula for it's very nice blue black.

Lamy caved in to the US Government's blue-black BS. It has a very good turquoise; better on 90g paper and above for shading. Very good bottles.

It's green is not liked, it's violet in cartridge only is well liked.

OK, I have been out of the pen market for the last 12 years. I have been focussing on raising my kids. I am still working through the ink stash I had, but have bought a couple of bottles. I have not heard what the US Govt has done in the ink regulation department - can you fill me in?

Edited by Shutterbug57

Holy cow, somehow I didn't get notifications of replies and there have been a lot of posts.

It makes sense that there might be some problem with the combination of ink and flow. It really does feel like ink is pouring out of the pen whenever I try to write. The review quinden linked sounds a lot like my experience: pen-turned-firehose and wild feathering on most paper. Is it possible that it could just be a bad batch from Levenger? I'm wondering if it's worth writing to them about it and trying with a fresh bottle.

I would try a different brand. Ink samples are great, but I would buy a bottle if I were in your shoes. you don't want to end up loving another ink and then running out and having to go back to the firehose ink until a bottle of it is obtained. Ink can be had very cheaply, around $10-12 a bottle. There are many well-behaved inks that I'm sure you'd be more happy with.

VINTAGE PENS FOR SALE! Various brands all restored and ready to go! Check out the pics and let me know if you have any questions.

I would try a different brand. Ink samples are great, but I would buy a bottle if I were in your shoes. you don't want to end up loving another ink and then running out and having to go back to the firehose ink until a bottle of it is obtained. Ink can be had very cheaply, around $10-12 a bottle. There are many well-behaved inks that I'm sure you'd be more happy with.

+1.

Pelikan is dry. Waterman and Diamine are also well-behaved.

Thanks for the tips about fine handwriting, Geo7700. It's good to hear that that isn't just me. It seems that at least with wet inks, the lines are a lot thicker than I expected, perhaps because I'm used to writing with roller balls at 0.5 and 0.7 mm. I could definitely see a 0.3 mm nib working nicely if I wanted to keep using this ink.

The encouragement and welcome is very heartening - thank you all! I'm in SoCal - there's got to be some other pen-lovers around here, right? ;)

It would be nice to be able to write on the backs of pages, or, heaven forbid, be able to write on Moleskine journals again. They're not nearly as good as the Rhodias but they're definitely cheaper, especially if I can only use one side of the page. As it is currently Moleskine paper bleeds through so badly the following page is ruined as well. Sounds like I'm not alone on that one.

I like the idea of getting some ink samples so I'm not committed to whole bottles while I try to figure out what works best for me. I'm not particularly married to the TrueWriter pen and I'd love to have a collection at some point, but right now finances are tight for me.

I have several True Writers, in Fine and stubs. I too write small and have found Pelikan 4001 inks to work perfectly with these pens. I would try some Goulet samples and test how wet or dry they run. Because of my small handwriting I don't like real wet inks and have found that Japanese nibs work well, my Pilot Vanishing Point in fine being a perfect example.

I would recommend trying: Pelikan 4001 inks, Edelstein Topaz, Namiki Blue, Noodler's Black (other Noodlers in general are too saturated and "thick" for small nibs) and some Diamine colors of your choice. Ultimately the pen may be too broad for you and you may want to get it re-ground. If there is any way you can try some other nibs out, at a pen club or a brick and mortar store, you at least see the variety available. I have a Namiki Grance in fine that is almost too small and dry writing for me! So a solution is out there!

Shutterbug

Last year the US Government put Pelikan Blue Black on can't be imported into the US by dealers list.

Obviously something that can cause blue eyed cockroaches.

There is a way around by ordering a bottle from England. Don't know the name of the company. But that is how those who like that ink are getting it. Perhaps some one will chime in. I live in Germany. Perhaps it's just slipping through the cracks.

Lamy suddenly changed it's Blue Black IG ink and is no longer an iron gall ink.

It is allowed to be imported into the States by dealers.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

...To find the perfect fountain pen situation for you, you have to consider a triad of factors: the pen, the ink, and the paper.

The ultimate fountain pen Truth.

Good luck experimenting!

Best wishes,

eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

• 5 months later...

Steel-Wolf, it's been about five months ... what do you think? Are you having any better luck?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You have nice handwiting. Your pen and ink are performing very well, with good color saturation,

good flow onto the paper, and no feathering. It is all very nice.

My answer to your question -- "What am I doing wrong?"

You are complain that you can't write on both sides of a sheet of paper.

Live with it, or get thicker paper. You and your pen are performing beautifully.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !