What Do You Look For In A Pen Wrap?

Craig Forsyth

What do you look for in a pen wrap?

My pens.

damn, you beat me to it! :crybaby: :crybaby:

Sorry, collectiblepens. On a side note, from 1966-1983, I lived in Massapequa (Plainedge HS).

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craig Forsyth

• my63

• fuchsiaprincess

• xHaishou

That means with a universal pen slot depth, some of your shorter pens will slip right down inside. I take it , for that reason, you'd prefer a flap that doesn't hamper your ability to easily access each slot?

Absolutely correct! Here is one of my 'almost perfect' pen wraps :

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/IMGP5413.jpg

Edited to add - the reason why I call it my 'almost perfect' pen wrap is because as you have probably noticed, it only has 9 slots, and I have 10 pens, thus having to double up in one of the slots :roflmho:

What a coincidence I made one like this a couple of weeks ago it does not have an outer sleeve yet so you could choose whatever colour you wish as long as it is red green blue or brown :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8596801091_f0a638ac5f_z.jpg

IMG_0281 by my0771, on Flickr

The slots are deep it can hold pens upto 7 1/4 inches long and the stitches are 25mm apart.

It is yours if you want it when it is finshed of course.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Gah. I'm trying to make one and I kinda messed up. I made the pen slots too small so I had to remove some excess stuff that I wanted to add. Right now, the slots are a snug fit for the nemosine singularity, although I'm not sure how that translates to other pens.

Music is the harmonization of opposites, the unification of disparate things, and the conciliation of warring elements.

Gah. I'm trying to make one and I kinda messed up. I made the pen slots too small so I had to remove some excess stuff that I wanted to add. Right now, the slots are a snug fit for the nemosine singularity, although I'm not sure how that translates to other pens.

If you have used leather it will stretch

Michael

If you have used leather it will stretch

Michael

If you've used fabric, I know it's a bind but I'd suggest unpicking the stitching on the slots and widening. I allow 35mm per slot but you'd have to distribute your allowance across however wide your pen slot section is.

That means with a universal pen slot depth, some of your shorter pens will slip right down inside. I take it , for that reason, you'd prefer a flap that doesn't hamper your ability to easily access each slot?

Absolutely correct! Here is one of my 'almost perfect' pen wraps :

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/IMGP5413.jpg

Edited to add - the reason why I call it my 'almost perfect' pen wrap is because as you have probably noticed, it only has 9 slots, and I have 10 pens, thus having to double up in one of the slots :roflmho:

What a coincidence I made one like this a couple of weeks ago it does not have an outer sleeve yet so you could choose whatever colour you wish as long as it is red green blue or brown :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8596801091_f0a638ac5f_z.jpg

IMG_0281 by my0771, on Flickr

The slots are deep it can hold pens upto 7 1/4 inches long and the stitches are 25mm apart.

It is yours if you want it when it is finshed of course.

Michael

Hi Michael,

As tempting as it sounds, I think it is about time you kept one of these beauties for yourself :thumbup:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

It's blue suedecloth. I think I'm just gonna leave it as is. I've already taken out some seams and resewed it (well, my mom did because I don't know how to work the sewing machine XD). I have enough material for another wrap, although that will have to wait for a while because spring break is pretty much over. It should be fine i guess. I don't have any large pens to compare the size with, but that also means I don't have any large pens to stick in the roll anyways. I made it with pleats, and each pleat gets larger and larger when I tried to make more space XD. I was trying to give the pleats the extra room from this thread but I totally forgot that suedecloth is like 2-3x thicker than cotton.

Music is the harmonization of opposites, the unification of disparate things, and the conciliation of warring elements.

It's blue suedecloth. I think I'm just gonna leave it as is. I've already taken out some seams and resewed it (well, my mom did because I don't know how to work the sewing machine XD). I have enough material for another wrap, although that will have to wait for a while because spring break is pretty much over. It should be fine i guess. I don't have any large pens to compare the size with, but that also means I don't have any large pens to stick in the roll anyways. I made it with pleats, and each pleat gets larger and larger when I tried to make more space XD. I was trying to give the pleats the extra room from this thread but I totally forgot that suedecloth is like 2-3x thicker than cotton.

I'm almost done making a suede/cotton wrap and will posi pics here in due course. The leaher has been a challenge to hand stitch but I'm getting there.

Hi Craig what are you using to make your stitch holes with the ideal shape is a diamond shape.

A little beeswax on your thread helps as well.

There is a neat trick for stopping your thread pulling out of the needle.

Michael

I like the Fred Perry pen wrap that I was gifted this christmas - five slots, two small pockets for cartridges and a pretty big one for storing whatever you wish. I like mine because I use it not just for pens; in the two small pockets I carry memory cards and in the big one I have a Swiss Army knife, spare lighter flints, polishing cloth and magnifying glass with a bit of room for something more. It's my handy all in one accessory case. :thumbup:

Hi Craig what are you using to make your stitch holes with the ideal shape is a diamond shape.

Michael

I'm using a fine bradawl to make the holes Michael, and the thread I'm using is pretty smooth, it's just tougher working with leather than fabric. The wrap's coming along pretty well, I'm about a third the way around my perimeter stitch, after which I'm done. It's not the prettiest creation in the world but it ain't bad for a first effort. I'd appreciate that tip on stopping the thread pulling out, if you're willing to share.

Craig

Michael

I'm using a fine bradawl to make the holes Michael, and the thread I'm using is pretty smooth, it's just tougher working with leather than fabric. The wrap's coming along pretty well, I'm about a third the way around my perimeter stitch, after which I'm done. It's not the prettiest creation in the world but it ain't bad for a first effort. I'd appreciate that tip on stopping the thread pulling out, if you're willing to share.

Craig

I am happy to share Craig I just did not want to bore anyone.

Once you have passed the thread through the eye of the needle, Take the end that has gone through the eye and open up the strand of thread on the other side of the needle and pass the end through as if you were going to splice the thread.

Pull the thread tight to the top of the needle then do the same at the other end of the thread add a little beeswax and you are ready.

A round hole is not ideal I use the end of my wifes small dress making scissors (dont tell her though) a slot or diamond shape is what I was advised as the end of the needle is flat.

Some work in progress shots would be nice.

Michael

Michael

Craig

I am happy to share Craig I just did not want to bore anyone.

Once you have passed the thread through the eye of the needle, Take the end that has gone through the eye and open up the strand of thread on the other side of the needle and pass the end through as if you were going to splice the thread.

Pull the thread tight to the top of the needle then do the same at the other end of the thread add a little beeswax and you are ready.

A round hole is not ideal I use the end of my wifes small dress making scissors (dont tell her though) a slot or diamond shape is what I was advised as the end of the needle is flat.

Some work in progress shots would be nice.

Michael

Ah, I've very stupidly forgotten to take any of those, not used to this projects business. Next time perhaps. Thanks for the tips, excellent advice.

• 7 months later...