What Do You Look For In A Pen Wrap?

Craig Forsyth

What do you look for in a pen wrap? How many pen slots is optimum for an everyday wrap and what elements does your ideal wrap have (a flap to cover clips, a button and loop or a thong tie to close, perhaps some means of carrying cartridges)?

Edited by Craig Forsyth

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craig Forsyth

• my63

• fuchsiaprincess

• xHaishou

I have the exact same one! It is very thin, it takes about 5-6 pens, in my case, and it is ok for casual commuting home-office.

I could do without the word "twilight" on it, though :)

What do you look for in a pen wrap?

My pens.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have a wrap that can fit up to nine writing utensils that I use on a daily basis, but I'm thinking about sewing a wrap for storage (I'm a college kid- I'm too cheap for glass display cases!) that'll have a lot of individual slots for pens. I know I like individual slots in a wrap, as opposed to a few slots that can house more than one pen, but I'm not sure where I stand on how to secure the wrap- I like the look of a tie, but something like a button is much more practical.

I have a wrap that can fit up to nine writing utensils that I use on a daily basis, but I'm thinking about sewing a wrap for storage (I'm a college kid- I'm too cheap for glass display cases!) that'll have a lot of individual slots for pens. I know I like individual slots in a wrap, as opposed to a few slots that can house more than one pen, but I'm not sure where I stand on how to secure the wrap- I like the look of a tie, but something like a button is much more practical.

Thank very much, that's more what I was looking for in a response.

I've looked for a pen wrap for a long while but just haven't found the right combination for me.

I THINK I want to clip the pens in each sleeve so I could get them out easy but even with a thick flap I'm worried with the rolling up the case at the end of my day the clips could bang against each other on the sides.

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

Number of pens: at least 5 (blue, black, Arabic nib, red grading, green grading). I like the idea of clipping a pen to the Chan's Homemade pen wrap in a pinch. Then again, I also like the Paradise Pen leather pen wrap that has a space for business cards(?), which I always forget. I do not use ink cartridges on a regular basis and I would be a bit hesitant to put a cartridge in a wrap.

Outside: A strong and durable material, either fabric or leather. I am not rough with my pen wrap, but I also don't keep it sitting on my desk. It is in and out of my bag all the time.

Inside: Leaning toward a nice leather or suede. I think that cloth would be wear out too quickly, especially if you clip the pens into place, although the Libelle cloth is industrial strength. I don't clip my pens, generally speaking, but I want the option.

Sleeves/pockets: This is a must have. The wrap should be able to fit everything from a medium-sized pen (eg, Noodler Ahab) to a fat pen (TWSBI 700) or a long pen (TWSBI 700, Lamy Safari).

Flap to cover clips: This is another important point. The flap on the Paradise Pen wrap covers a clip by about 1/8 inch. If you cram in a big pen, the flap might overhang the clip or might not (it takes careful wrapping). The Libelle pen case is a bit better. Also, pens seem to sit lower when clipped into the Libelle wrap. The Libelle's overhanging flap is about 1/4 inch longer (I'm eyeballing it here), so it can handle a longer or fatter pen a bit better. The Lamy Safari clip, however, is quite long and neither Paradise Pen nor Libelle flap completely covers the clip.

Aesthetics: A pen wrap that is at least business casual. I'm not too big on the outside appearance. It will be splayed open on desk most of the time. However, I certainly don't want the outside decorated with Hello Kitty. (Call me weird, just a personal preference.)

Edited by NickedMick

I like five-or-thereabouts slots. An additional zippered pocket is kind of nifty but not required. Non-tie closure, preferably. A fold-over flap long enough to cover the clips of the pens.

I like the Libelle pen wraps but for that the velcro wore out very quickly on mine and I still need to do something about that.

I mostly use a Sevenroll pen wrap right now but the problems with that one are 1. I'd trade the zippered pocket for one more slot and 2. the flap doesn't fold over far enough.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Five pens seems a good number.

Understated material, I don't want it to look like its worth stealing and I don't want to be embarrassed to pull it out and let it be seen because its too flashy.

Definitely a flap to protect the clips.

Closure method, a tie of some sort, but nothing too bulky such that it might snag going in and out of a bag.

VINTAGE PENS FOR SALE! Various brands all restored and ready to go! Check out the pics and let me know if you have any questions.

Five pens seems a good number.

Understated material, I don't want it to look like its worth stealing and I don't want to be embarrassed to pull it out and let it be seen because its too flashy.

Definitely a flap to protect the clips.

Closure method, a tie of some sort, but nothing too bulky such that it might snag going in and out of a bag.

I have a Pay It Forward on the go at the moment (running until the beginning of May) if you fancy throwing your name in...the wrap I've made seems to fit your criteria. You'll find it at line 743 here.

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I'm planning on making a pen wrap myself and I was wondering how long you guys' longest pen clip is so that I can plan out how long to make the flap to cover the clips completely.

Music is the harmonization of opposites, the unification of disparate things, and the conciliation of warring elements.

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I'm planning on making a pen wrap myself and I was wondering how long you guys' longest pen clip is so that I can plan out how long to make the flap to cover the clips completely.

My Lamy clip's the longest at 2.5ins but obviously you'll have to take into account how much room you're allowing above the pen slots before the flap is attached.

Six individual slots for me - I like to keep a biro and pencil on hand too. Plain brown leather preferred, and simple button and tie; I find that snappers etc are rarely in the right place.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

10 slots; top flap to prevent the pens from falling out, I don't clip my pens onto the wrap. Sturdy material preferable.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

That means with a universal pen slot depth, some of your shorter pens will slip right down inside. I take it , for that reason, you'd prefer a flap that doesn't hamper your ability to easily access each slot?

What do you look for in a pen wrap?

My pens.

damn, you beat me to it! :crybaby: :crybaby:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

I have worked with Wando Lo, a member here on a couple wraps for gifts from me.

A few ideas.

First, I'm assuming fabric.

There are some very nice ones around made in silk. I have a few issues with those though. They are beautiful but IMO not really suited for General pen wrap duty, more at home duty.

Wanda found material, inside and out that was washable. If a serious inkcident occurs, wash the whole case. You can't do that with the silk ones. In the example below note the inside. I purposely chose it because I thought a minor inkcident would "hide" in the patterning, unlike the light colored lining in a lot of the silk ones.

Sure, the beads draw strings are neat and all that but give me secure, fast and easy. Velcro straps. Just long enough. Done. :thumbup:

Plus Wanda is so inexpensive it's almost embarrassing. Did I mention she's easy (fun) to work with?

This one went to our own Florence Nightingangle.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

100_3811.JPG

[EDIT] And here is a pouch she made for my Mom's custom Estie BP conversion by Appleman, restoration by Me.

CP3.jpg

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

That means with a universal pen slot depth, some of your shorter pens will slip right down inside. I take it , for that reason, you'd prefer a flap that doesn't hamper your ability to easily access each slot?

Absolutely correct! Here is one of my 'almost perfect' pen wraps :

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/IMGP5413.jpg

Edited to add - the reason why I call it my 'almost perfect' pen wrap is because as you have probably noticed, it only has 9 slots, and I have 10 pens, thus having to double up in one of the slots :roflmho:

Edited by fuchsiaprincess
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif