What Pens Do You Regret Not Buying When You Had The Chance?

Sallent

We've all been there... one of the pens we've been lusting after is within our grasps, but for whatever reason we pass up on the chance to get it and the opportunity never comes around again...or the higher prices and/or limited availability make it almost impossible to obtain one. We then spend our time regretting that we never jumped on the opportunity, dreaming about what could have been if we had followed our instincts and gotten it.

Which pens fit that criteria?

For me is the Gate City Postal Jr. I knew I should have gotten one, I dreamed of owning one, I had the money to order it, but I never got around to it. At that time I was not actively involved in collecting pens, having gotten out of the hobby for a few years. But I was aware of this pen and should have followed my instincts and bought it. I think I regret not purchasing this one more than any other pen I didn't buy. Today they are discontinued and virtually impossible to obtain at any price, as they hardly ever come on sale. :crybaby:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/gatecity/zoomed/postal_junior_ruby.jpg

Edited by Sallent

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• ethernautrix

• mirosc

• Laura N

Pelikan 1005

Platinum 3776 Motosu

Pilot Custom 823 Clear

When they were available, I wasn't as obsessed with clear demonstrators as I am now. Now that I want them, I can't find them.

This thing seems to always happen to me, and even applies to other items. :crybaby:

I'm still new, and haven't been around long to see prices rise a lot. But I think I'll be regretting not getting a Lamy 2000 soon. From what I heard, their prices increase a little every year. :crybaby:

Just looked at the title again,and realized how stupid I sounded lol.

That being said....everything happens for a reason.anytime I lost a bid,something better came along.

Edited by Cognaticrotty

Signature left blank per new rules...

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks. I've been watching every 1005 that I see on Ebay, but all have gone for more than I want to spend right now. I didn't know anywhere still had the 823 in clear. Hmmm....

I saw a Caran d'Ache Harmony with auction end price below $900, and that was in my watch list, I end up forgetting about it. I still regret now.....

I regret not buying a Pelikan M600 instead of the M400 I DID wind buying. Mostly I regret buying a lot of the pens I have bought. I have spent months trying to correct that...now that I know what I like and what works for me.

Pelikan Grande Place. I have most of the city pens and had the chance to buy this when they were in stores. I tried one when I was on vacation with my husband and should have just bought it. I felt we had already spent a lot on the trip and couldn't bring myself to buy it at the time, but I should have. I really should have.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

All the pens I didn't buy in the 1980s and 1990s because I was happy to write with just a couple of pens. What a fool I'd been! True happiness means tens of pens and inks.

See? You're the Pen Sherpa! And not only at pen shows.

Well done, Ricky.

My sherpa abilities do not work at the $50 and below level. :roflmho:

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Swan self filler with a #6 nib in pristine condition. I have never seen one again. And it was a real bargain - but I didn't know about restoration, so I passed.

Greetings,

Michael

Swan self filler with a #6 nib in pristine condition. I have never seen one again. And it was a real bargain - but I didn't know about restoration, so I passed.

Talk to Sarj Minhas

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

A Parker 45 flighter that went for $15+$3 shipping.

A Sheaffer Lifetime Senior Flat-Top for $50.

A Parker 51 Vac (restored!) for $40.

Smart eBaying found these, but sadly, lack of money prevented me from jumping.

I did score an un-inked Targa for $36, but that's because something nice happened that day.

:thumbup:

Calculating.

Parker Vac at an antique shop for $30 - not even sure which one it was now, but it was before I started collecting vacs.

Parker Duofold Sr at a flea market for $40. Before I knew what they went for. Of course I collect these too now. IIRC it was a Red, not sure on cap bands etc.

Montblanc 146 off ebay for $200 in medium. Wasn't sure I needed 2 146s. Which is silly. Why wouldn't I need 2 146s.

Countless other pens from antique stores, before I knew more.

About 3 years ago, I saw a white CS Churchill for sale on Ebay. The seller had it way under priced but I hesitated and lost the pen. I bought an identical pen 3 months ago and even though I paid more, I enjoy it just as much as if I bought the pen 3 years earlier.

Although I am not a collector of big brand name pens, I had been eyeing a beautiful Chinese jade pen from the HeTian area. I procrastinated & it disappeared :crybaby:

Myste

I'm a geek with a fountain pen.

Know where I can find an uninked Namiki Bamboo Rhodium with a Fine nib??LOL!

My regret was passing on a number of unused m800 14C nibs----at a very good price. I've come to learn that you'll never know your future preferences and that you will find a use for any nib......

J

Edited by playtime

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson