Cartridge Compatibility

KendallJ

OK, I know this has been asked multitude of time.

Are a Waterman and Internation cartridges like for like replacements? I know Parker and Sheaffer carts are unique, but the waterman looks close to the standard international size. Anyone comment?

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• kathywc

• KendallJ

• Sidney

In the middle of the old Fahrney's Pens catalog, along with the order form, they would list the refills that they carried. Next to any cartridge that would fit another pen they would note it. I miss those days.

I've seen a compatability chart around somewhere. It didn't seem as complete as the Fahrney's catalog list or maybe it was just harder to read.

Edited by Sidney

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

I have a Waterman Phileas, and while the Sheaffer international cartridges appear to fit onto the pen okay, the barrell of the pen won't fit over the installed cartridge due to the cartridge's increased width over the Waterman cartridges. So I have a whole stack of international cartridges that I had bought to try with my Phileas that are waiting for a new pen to be used! Live and learn! ;-)

Zachary R. Fruhling

Philosophy Instructor

Personal Webpage

"Toys of the 80s" - My Business Site

I have a waterman hemisphere and I put standard cartridges in it all the time.

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

Hi Kendall,

The small Waterman cartridges are the same as the small international cartridges, if that is what you meant. I think international cartridges are the original Pelikano cartridges, size-wise and shape anyway.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Edit: I just checked, they are not the same after all: see my post a little further down.

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 weeks later...

A coworker of mine that uses a Waterman FP (unsure of what model) ran out of ink during a meeting this week. I happened to have an extra short international cartridge in my bag, so I gave it to him. He had trouble closing his pen with my cartridge installed.

I think not all international cartridges or not all pens are the same international size...

I know Parker and Sheaffer carts are unique...

I don't know if they've changed over the years, but I have an old clear-plastic and chrome Sheaffer from (guessing) the '60s or '70s, that had a big "Skrip Washable Blue" cartridge in it that's well larger than international carts... however, international cartridges fit and work just fine.

Just thought I'd, you know, share. :)

Hi jwc,

A coworker of mine that uses a Waterman FP (unsure of what model) ran out of ink during a meeting this week.  I happened to have an extra short international cartridge in my bag, so I gave it to him.  He had trouble closing his pen with my cartridge installed. 

I think not all international cartridges or not all pens are the same international size...

Not necessarily. Not all Watermans take international cartridges. Some are designed for international ones, but some are designed specifically for the long Waterman cartridges. Although they share more or less the same nipple clamping design (note: more or less, not exactly the same!), the short international tapers towards its bottom end, the Waterman long cartridge is naroower at its bottom end and doesn't taper. This is why they don't fit.

And to complicate matters, a short Waterman cartridge is not an international cartridge. A pen designed for the international cartridge will take a short Waterman cartridge, but the opposite is not necessarily true, as the short Waterman cartridge literally is a short version of the long Waterman cartridge, so doesn't taper either, and is slightly smaller in bottom diameter.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

That's really interesting Wim. Like I said I've used short international carts in my Hemisphere ever since I got it. I didn't even use the cart that came with the pen. I haven't had any trouble getting the pen to close or the cart to fit in the pen.

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

• 5 years later...

I have a Waterman Phileas, and while the Sheaffer international cartridges appear to fit onto the pen okay, the barrell of the pen won't fit over the installed cartridge due to the cartridge's increased width over the Waterman cartridges. So I have a whole stack of international cartridges that I had bought to try with my Phileas that are waiting for a new pen to be used! Live and learn! ;-)

Woah, woah -- I've been looking for Sheaffer made international cartridges for six years. I got my first with a Sheaffer Reaktor, which is long supplanted, but I *loved* the turquoise that it came with. Do you know anywhere that's still selling those carts?