Namiki/Pilot VP Raden

Johnson

QUOTE (andyr7 @ Mar 16 2007, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (andyr7 @ Mar 16 2007, 05:40 AM)

What is totally unreasonable is the fact that Pilot set the UK prices so high in comparison with the US.

Could it be import duties, taxes, the distributor or some other explaination?

No, I was told by at least one dealer that Pilot position these pens in the market as a luxury item in the UK, there is no other reason for the differential. Apparently, it is much cheaper for a UK seller to buy a Raden VP retail from the US than it is to buy direct from Pilot in this country at trade price. The packaging is rather more upmarket than the US packaging but not worthy of charging double the price.

Mind you we see a similar effect with a 1:1 pound to dollar equivalent pricing on very many products over here which means we are almost paying twice as much for a lot of things.

Andy

I can buy a Raden for £130 in the US. In the UK the pens sell at £275 to £320. This is ridiculous!

- Jonathan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• Taki

• meanwhile

• Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (meanwhile @ Mar 15 2007, 04:12 PM)
Why not mail one of the Japanese sellers like Russ Suttler, Ujuku, etc?

I just got a mail back from Yamada-san (Ujuku Shop owner). He said Pilot doesn't sell nibs by itself in Japan, so you can't get it from him sad.gif

Edited by Taki

QUOTE (MYU @ Mar 15 2007, 08:12 PM)
Where can you get a Rhodium plated nib for a decent price? The only place I've found so far is CultPens, but they want £35.00! That's double what you'd pay on eBay for a yellow gold nib.

have you tried Richard Binder? He has VP nibs and he can help you with your petition. smile.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

QUOTE (alvarez57 @ Mar 16 2007, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (MYU @ Mar 15 2007, 08:12 PM)
Where can you get a Rhodium plated nib for a decent price?  The only place I've found so far is CultPens, but they want £35.00!  That's double what you'd pay on eBay for a yellow gold nib.

have you tried Richard Binder? He has VP nibs and he can help you with your petition. smile.gif

I was wondering that same thing. Since Richard is a dealer of VP's, he might be able to get them. Nice thing for him to add to his Gold and Custom VP nib line. I would love a Cursive Italic for my Raden.

Edited by bobioden

QUOTE (andyr7 @ Mar 16 2007, 11:30 AM)
Mind you we see a similar effect with a 1:1 pound to dollar equivalent pricing on very many products over here which means we are almost paying twice as much for a lot of things.

I see what you mean, Andy. Even Pilot's store website has the gold VP nib assemblies available for $30--a near dollar:pound price setting. If this is because of how much Pilot charges to resellers in the UK, that's quite awful. I would expect that with such pricing practices, Pilot is not moving as much merchandise as they could in the UK.

Bob, Sonia: Richard does have nice VP nib pricing on his website -- he has the standard nibs cheaper ($25) than Pilot has on their website. And for just $55, you can't go wrong with a customized VP nib! I sent him an e-mail to find out if he has ever looked into obtaining any with Rhodium plate.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I am intrigued. Why is this 'Raden' so much more expensive than the other capless pilots? It seems to be the same as other VPs with the addition of spangly bits!

QUOTE (ctate @ Mar 18 2007, 05:50 PM)
I am intrigued. Why is this 'Raden' so much more expensive than the other capless pilots? It seems to be the same as other VPs with the addition of spangly bits!

Those "spangly bits" aren't all so simple. The Raden is the top-of-the-line finish - ten layers of Urushi laquer, hand applied, with tiny fragments of abalone shell set into it, all in different colors. Urushi is a Japanese lacquering technique that has been passed down for many generations. Maki-e Urushi pens often sell for a lot more than the price of a VP Raden.

QUOTE (ctate @ Mar 18 2007, 04:50 PM)

Well raden is the name of a technique of traditional Japanese craft of adding abalone shell to urushi surface, and it takes a bit more than simply adding confetti wink.gif Often it is a part of maki-e, too. In Japan Raden's MSRP was approx. $450.

Raden - Wikipedia

Edited by Taki

QUOTE (MYU @ Jan 26 2007, 02:47 PM)
I have to imagine the idea of a Decimo Raden has been brought up to Pilot by multiple people.  Do they have an official response?  Is there any chance at all that they'll make one?  Or was the Raden a "one time" production variation?  It would be a shame if that is true.

Man, I'm sorry I missed this thread for so long. Sorry about that.

When I talked to John Ferraro (sp?), Pilot's head of customer service, the other day about a different VP question, I got around to asking about other VP models/variants. BTW, Pilot (not Namiki) VP is the current model designation for the full size pen. The Fermo and Decimo are the names of current models manufactured in Japan alongside what we call the VP, but are not (sadly) imported through Pilot Pens USA. John sounded a bit wistful about that last bit, stating that they request, every year (due to customer demand), that Pilot reconsider broadening their USA supply.

The Raden was not a one time deal and is still in current manufacture. I haven't uncovered any evidence, however of plans for a Raden Decimo or Fermo. Bummer!

I hope to be first in line for a Raden Decimo if they become available! laugh.gif

BTW, MYU, on a barely related Pilot topic, my PM didn't get through to you. Was just wondering, is that black stripe MYU in your avatar yours? I checked price on one the other day. Wow! They're hot, but I didn't realize how hot!

"Live every day as if it were going to be your last; for one day you're sure to be right."

- Lt. Harry 'Breaker' Morant

The lack of a Raden Decimo is even stranger when you consider how that the average Japanese hand is still somewhat smaller than the average Western one...

- Jonathan

QUOTE (MYU @ Mar 19 2007, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (ctate @ Mar 18 2007, 05:50 PM)

Those "spangly bits" aren't all so simple. The Raden is the top-of-the-line finish - ten layers of Urushi laquer, hand applied, with tiny fragments of abalone shell set into it, all in different colors. Urushi is a Japanese lacquering technique that has been passed down for many generations. Maki-e Urushi pens often sell for a lot more than the price of a VP Raden.

Hmmm - well you're getting me interested in the Raden. I think perhaps the previous posters are right when they say the pictures don't do the pen justice. I actually thought it looked a bit cheap but now that I hear about the sophisticated technique used in its production, I'd like to see a real one so I can make my mind up! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (sirgrunthos @ Mar 19 2007, 01:22 AM)
BTW, MYU, on a barely related Pilot topic, my PM didn't get through to you. Was just wondering, is that black stripe MYU in your avatar yours? I checked price on one the other day. Wow! They're hot, but I didn't realize how hot!

Yes Sir Grunthos, it is. biggrin.gif It wasn't a "sumgai" purchase though... I got it for a decent price at the time (September '06), but yes, they've since jumped quite a bit. Probably much more than they're really worth, though. $405 for an acid damaged model, or $560 for a mint NOS one--quite ridiculous. Hopefully the fervor will die down and make them more affordable again. smile.gif

QUOTE (MYU @ Jan 26 2007, 04:47 PM)
Btw, is there a specific name for that particular generation VP?  Or is it just 'VP', while the newer models are referred to as Decimo and Fermo?

for those who are currently curious about this:

the namiki vanishing point is the US designation of the pilot capless in japan.

the fermo is the one with a twist end mechanism vs. the push button.

the decimo is a smaller version of the VP/capless.

in other news, im not sure that i am completely sold on the raden, personally. i understand that it doesnt look as nice in photos, as i have had the luxury of drooling over my grandmother's black urushi maki-e wood tabletop that also has inlaid abalone, though the pieces are much larger than on the raden-the depth is amazing. [it hangs on the wall, and does not get used as a table-she brought it with her from japan].

the vanishing point that really rocks my socks is that all black stealth looking model. drool.gif

EDITed to correct error

Edited by Latro21

-Nick

'Namiki' is the brand name used only outside of Japan, so technically it should be 'Pilot Capless' and 'Namiki Vanishing Point' wink.gif

QUOTE (Taki @ Mar 21 2007, 09:11 PM)
'Namiki' is the brand name used only outside of Japan, so technically it should be 'Pilot Capless' and 'Namiki Vanishing Point' wink.gif

whoops, i didnt realize i had swapped them in that post-i shall edit without delay tongue.gif

Edited by Latro21

-Nick