Pelikan Souverän M800 Tortoiseshell Brown

nicholasyeo

I have had mine for a few weeks now and initially was not happy with the B nib. It was very dry, would skip and required fooling with it to get it started. Like a lot of the pictures in this thread, the slit seemed very wide. I could actually see the ink move up or down the slit depending on the nib position

A few days ago I shaped a couple of pieces of plastic and squeezed the front part of the nib, the front part parallel to the slit, and heard a pop, and then looking closely the slit had closed. I then filled the pen and it now begins to write the instant the nib touches the paper, and leaves a fairly wet line.

While I greatly like Pelikan pens, there quality control seems to have slipped recently. I admire your efforts to repair your nib. I've never tried it myself, but I am tempted.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• Pen2009

• Frank C

• PAKMAN

• 2 months later...

Really lovely looking pen .... apart from the logo on the cap being all gold ...... is this the only Pel featuring this?

Think the usual black background for the Pelikan and chick would look classier, IMO. But not going to send mine back just for that!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Really lovely looking pen .... apart from the logo on the cap being all gold ...... is this the only Pel featuring this?

Think the usual black background for the Pelikan and chick would look classier, IMO. But not going to send mine back just for that!

I recently picked up a standard black M800 which also has the full gold end cap.

✒️ :happyberet:

Pelikan changed their caps a few years back. All new Pelikans (aside from certain special/limited editions) feature the 24k plated cap. If you really like the old cap, there's more than likely some NOS or used pens lying around, but certainly not for a special edition like this Tortoiseshell cap (which you couldn't replace with a normal cap, since the Tortoiseshell cap is actually brown, not black like a typical Pelikan)

Edited by Trebor

Ah, thanks Trebor and gmax, somehow that makes me feel better about it! It's the part I look at the least, anyhow, and the rest of it IS gorgeous.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just won an auction from regina at martiniauctions.com, and all I'm getting is a tiny cardboard box? Why is that? Does it come in two configurations?

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• 3 weeks later...

All of the pictures I've seen the pen looks black with the exception of the stripes themselves.

Is the body really brown in color? It's too bad I haven't been able to find a local store carrying this so I could see one in person.

All of the pictures I've seen the pen looks black with the exception of the stripes themselves.

Is the body really brown in color? It's too bad I haven't been able to find a local store carrying this so I could see one in person.

If you mean the cap, section and piston knob then I really can't tell that it's not black under most conditions. Obviously the binde is clearly not black, but the other bits are so dark that they may as well be black.

I've finally received mine from Regina which I've bought at an extremely competitive price, albeit without the wooden box you have, all I had was a little cardboard box. Nevertheless that doesn't bother me at all.

I was blown away by the beauty of this pen. I love the shininess of the beautiful brown streaks that grace the barrel of the pen. Every part of this pen was exquisitely beautiful and flawless, from the nib (which I was worried about due to some concerns on FPN regarding EF nibs), to the cap, clip, piston smoothness (which is legendary), this pen exudes a very premium feel.

Enjoying my factory EF nib very much, smooth with the barest hint of toothiness which I like in my EF nibs as I find it helps control my scrawls. I've also received my new Omas Extra Lucens and honestly, I can't even be bothered with the Omas for the moment. In a side-by-side comparison, I think this pen beats the Omas hands down anytime from all angles although that is wildly subjective haha.

To everyone out there who are considering this pen, you get so much more than what you pay for IMHO and you'll definitely not regret this wondrous beauty.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• 1 year later...

Great review, Nicholas!

I just snagged one at a great price a couple of weeks ago.

• 2 months later...

Received mine from John Mottishaw with a sweet F nib and can only say that it really works well and looks awesome. On close examination I found that the piston mechanics is now black plastic instead of brass as used to happen in 800's, but works smooth and well. About the dark plastic (cap, section and tail) if compared to a normal 800 there it becomes clear that they are not black, they are very dark brown, almost black, which makes it look much better than black beside the body color/tone.

Pel nibs... Had a lot of problems in the past with some 1000 and 800 nibs, not because of quality but because of poor adjustment. Once they are adjusted they work perfectly. Living far away from nibmeisters I decided to learn to diagnose and adjust nibs, and that is why every new pen that arrives first comes under a high magnification loupe and only after I'm happy with what I see it then comes in touch with ink and paper, avoiding the previous frustrating experiences...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

I hope to get on of these M800s sometime -- I think brown tortoise is my favorite Pelikan binde.

Hopefully John Mottishaw adjusted the nib for you. And, the piston mechanism is still brass, but with a black coating.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)