The Incredible Jinhao X750

Penne Stilografiche

I have three X750s purchased from Goulet Pens each with a different width Goulet #6 nib replacing the stock nib. Total price for each completed pen was $24.90 and I consider that good value because they're sturdy pens that write very smoothly. I have no connection with Goulet other than being a customer.

Edited by EBUCKTHORN

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBUCKTHORN

• Penne Stilografiche

• kemuri

• Tinta Verde

That's interesting. When I found about the Jinhaos using a stock sized nib, I replaced the nib in my Noodler's Nib Creaper (the standard, funny smelling biodgradable resin one, not one of the hard rubber or acryllic ones) with a Jinhao one. No flex, but it writes a lot more handily now than it did with the original nib or a vintage flex in it.

The wait from China is interminable ... at least it's arrival is something to look forward to.

Hope it isn't actually two months!

-TV

I have used Parker Quink Black in mine.

I bought 3 of them.

2 of them work great (and have left my possession to envious family members).

- I think I damaged the third one.

I bought two of these for $7,79. Free international shipping. No tracking, though...

-Kemuri

The Spirit of the Brush, whether you are reading of the work of the masters or taking a course on the Ch'ing of Chinese brush calligraphy

is a very personal experience.
Although nibs and sophisticated apps used in graphic studios can produce amazing results, the experience of holding a Chinese brush of the simplest kind, sitting with the inked brush above paper, and feeling the immediate response to your thoughts coming through the brush, shouldn't be missed.

I just wonder is there any converter with higher amount of ink that could be used on Jinhao X750. Any suggestions?

I have 3 Jinhao 750 and one 450. Well they're certainly not my favorite pens, but they are quite decent pens. For their cost I would say they're very honest pens and deliver much more than what I could expect for the price.

I can't say they are beautiful, neither ugly. The design is just OK.

There are 2 things that bother me, the converter and the feed. The converter was easy to solve, I replaced for a Duke converter bought on ebay for something like 2 USD with free shipping from HK.

The feed continues to bother me. I washed carefully several times, but the pens gets dry after a few hours without use and the only way to start it, is to force a drop of ink to flow through the feed.

I just wonder is there any converter with higher amount of ink that could be used on Jinhao X750. Any suggestions?

I have 3 Jinhao 750 and one 450. Well they're certainly not my favorite pens, but they are quite decent pens. For their cost I would say they're very honest pens and deliver much more than what I could expect for the price.

I can't say they are beautiful, neither ugly. The design is just OK.

There are 2 things that bother me, the converter and the feed. The converter was easy to solve, I replaced for a Duke converter bought on ebay for something like 2 USD with free shipping from HK.

The feed continues to bother me. I washed carefully several times, but the pen gets dry after a few hours without use and the only way to start it, is to force a drop of ink to flow through the feed.

post-119335-0-85108400-1423775213_thumb.jpg

post-119335-0-29844600-1423775274_thumb.jpg

I had x450 and x750. They were okay, good value for money. I have learned how to align the tines and smoothen the nibs on this pens so they are great pens to start with before you get bitten by the FP bug and you have to take another mortgage.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

My X750 arrives tmrw.

You lot always cost me money.

I've not been on here for a bit, had a catch-up over the weekend and ordered three pens!!...... :lol:

Jinhao tiger steel mesh" pen arrives! Took about three weeks.

Technically a "3000," I guess. (has that number on the band opposite from Jinhao).

Nice weight to it. Rinsed with soap and water, drying now.

There are four vertical characters; the first two are the "tiger" ones. Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright, I suppose.

Unless someone knows?

-TV

I've had chance to try it now, and could not recommend these highly enough.

The weight, build, fit & finish are way above what you'd expect for the price.. Wrote perfectly from the box with no pre-flushing.

I ordered the white one and imo has quite a classy look to it.

Already ordered another - fantastic.

I've recently reported here that I'm positively impressed with the three (F, M, B) I have. Each of these, however, was purchased from Goulet with their #6 nibs pre-installed. They included the original Jinhao nibs each time but I've never seen reason to switch back to them. Therefore, all my positive experience is based on the Goulet nibs. Has anyone here used both the original Jinhao nibs AND the corresponding Goulets? Would you be willing to describe the apparent differences, if any? Thank you.

I've recently reported here that I'm positively impressed with the three (F, M, B) I have. Each of these, however, was purchased from Goulet with their #6 nibs pre-installed. They included the original Jinhao nibs each time but I've never seen reason to switch back to them. Therefore, all my positive experience is based on the Goulet nibs. Has anyone here used both the original Jinhao nibs AND the corresponding Goulets? Would you be willing to describe the apparent differences, if any? Thank you.

Not sure how you got Goulet to install their #6 nib - I called them last week about this very thing and they said they have no service like that, that I had to buy pen with Jinhao nib, buy the Goulet nib, and install myself. They emailed me link to the video on how to do this.

Anyhow, my Jinhao 750 in black with sparkles pen came today, with Jinhao nib installed and Goulet nib in a separate little container. I inked up the stock Jinhao medium nib and wow - am I impressed. I am totally surprised in a very excellent way. I've tried several inexpensive pens in last 6 months and this one is incredible. Heavy brass lacquered body and it writes 100% awesome right outta da box. Used Diamini blue/black cartridge. Writes very wet and almost like a broad. Holy Cow Batman this is one sharp pen. And it was $9. They're $9. Really, $9. Cap clicks on for easy pull on/off and seals very well. Has a plastic insert inside cap for posting. There is more engineering and ergonomic design in this $9 pen than I've seen in $150 Big-Brand pens. Threading on section to body is metal. Clip is functional and gorgeous. It's all here. This is one sharp pen. And I'm hard to please - I started a thread a few weeks ago about how I was done with inexpensive Asian pens how disappointed I have been, but this one proves me wrong. I actually bought two, one is for a present for a friend. They will be very happy, as am I. So right now the Goulet #6 nibs are just sitting here unused - the stock Jinhao is a great nib no need to change it!

Edited by markleewebb

Thanks for replying Markleeweb. I guess I was lucky when I asked about the nibs. The people I spoke with seemed very willing. I'm glad you like your pens as received and, if you ever decide to install the Goulets, please post your appraisal of their relative attributes.

In my experience the Jinhao nibs for the x750 write pretty nicely - but they lay down a medium to broad line (it varies a little from nib to nib). The advantage of the Goulet nibs is that they allow you to install a finer nib if that's your preference (I have two Goulet EFs in stainless steel, two duotone Fs, and three 1.1mm stubs). I prefer the Goulet nibs, because I prefer finer nibs and stubs - but was pleasantly surprised by how smooth and consistent the original nibs (generally) were.

Thanks Jamerelbe. That gives me some info. and, as I'm satisfied with the Goulets. I'll just let well enough alone. I have strongly mixed feelings (read as reluctance, not indecision) about buying objects from low-wage countries. I mention that, not to create a political discussion, but just to say that if the Jinhao x750 were made in an EU country or the US I would be a hundred percent satisfied with it (even at the higher price it would have) rather having the bit of misgivings that I do now. And, there are prettier pens... Political considerations aside, it is a tremendous bargain. I'm glad it's being brought to people's attentions in this thread.

I went ahead and installed a Goulet #6 fine nib on the 2nd Jinhao x750 I purchased. It does write differently. The medium Jinhao is quite broad, especially on a cheaper paper. And it does a bit of hard starting after writing 100 words or so - it's quite wet and I think the feed just goes dry laying down all that ink. The Goulet #6 fine writes like a fine, and the wet Jinhao feed keeps up better with the fine Goulet nib such that I am not encountering any hard starting as I did with the medium Jinhao nib. The Goulet #6 seems to be an excellent match for the Jinhao feed. The writing smoothness is about the same but if I had to pick I'd say the Jinhao is a tad smoother. So for $9 stock or $24 with the Goulet nib this is an amazing pen that proved me wrong in thinking all Asian inexpensive pens were garbage - the way this writes combined with the engineering, it rivals pens from name-brands costing $100 more. I am very hard to please, and I am very happy with the Jinhao with either stock nib or Goulet #6.

Thanks Markleewebb. What you say confirms my thinking. On another matter, I've noticed that the cap of one of mine is slightly loose in the on-off (longitudinal) fit while the pen is closed. The cap snaps on and is secure but it wiggles end-to-end. By switching with my others it seems that it is the cap on this pen rather than the section that is to blame. It's primarily just an irritant but I'll bring it to Goulet's attention and see what they think. Otherwise, my evaluation of all three pens remains highly positive.

I bought one of these pens after hearing the good reviews here. I have to say, I'm impressed. The pen is heavy but not necessarily solid. It doesn't feel like it will stand the years or anything. But the nib (medium) is so nice. They're not bad looking, either. I can't believe they are able to sell these things for $5-10 bucks and make a profit.

I've now bought two to give to family who have expressed an interest in FPs. I'm going to buy a couple more just to have around the house.

Thanks Markleewebb. What you say confirms my thinking. On another matter, I've noticed that the cap of one of mine is slightly loose in the on-off (longitudinal) fit while the pen is closed. The cap snaps on and is secure but it wiggles end-to-end. By switching with my others it seems that it is the cap on this pen rather than the section that is to blame. It's primarily just an irritant but I'll bring it to Goulet's attention and see what they think. Otherwise, my evaluation of all three pens remains highly positive.

Mine screws on - the section is threaded and cap threads onto section. Not sure about your cap snapping on when closed.