The Incredible Jinhao X750

Penne Stilografiche

This is my first pen review on the Fountain Pen Network. Today I will be reviewing the incredibly cheap Jinhao X750 Fountain pen made by the craftsmen of China. First off, let me tell you that you can get this pen for less than $5.00 off ebay. For design quality, I would give it a 7/10, It has a beautiful black finish with silver or gold plated trim with a beautifully designed 18k gold plated nib. I would give it a 9/10 for quality, it is actually heavier that a montblanc 144 and unlike most things I've purchased from China, hasn't fell apart after a week and it seems I will have it for a while. I will give the nib performance a 8/10, it is a semi-flexible beauty and it actually writes very smoothly, and that's not even with taking in consideration the price! I will automatically give it a 10/10 for the price, come on, it's only 5 bucks, less that the average lunch at a fast food joint (or so I assume). As for the filling system, it is ultra easy to use and it holds nice decent amount of ink, probably enough to write about a 6 page essay, and for that reason, I will give it an 8/10

In conclusion, the Jinhao X750 is an good pen, and by that I mean an amazing pen. I've paid even $150.00 for pens that are even as good writers. For only 5 dollars, how could you go wrong!

post-99132-0-09816500-1360369964.jpg

post-99132-0-39268400-1360370019.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBUCKTHORN

• Penne Stilografiche

• kemuri

• Tinta Verde

I think the pen in the photo is an x450 (?)

If so, it write better than the x750. Both are nearly

indestuctible.

What is the ink you use in it ? I am having good results

with Noodler's Blue.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

yeah, I didn't feel like taking pictures of mine, so I just posted some stock images I got off the internet that looked like it. I use montblanc midnight blue ink and it writes like a dream. Personally, I've only used the x750, but I bet all the other models they make write just as well.

—Oscar Wilde

I picked up this 750 from eBay a couple of weeks ago. Writes great loaded up with Waterman Brown.

I need to pick up several more in other colors!

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa434/bulbboy/BBA2B792-1AFF-45B6-BF5B-19070AA5AA53-11925-00000BA3E6EFC38E_zps4d65d488.jpg

My black sparkly 750 arrived this morning but haven't had time to try it yet. I'm also awaiting an ivory 750. I have become fascinated with these chinese pens simply because they are such unbelievable value. I was given a Lanbo about 3 years ago and love it. It has a fine nib and is really smooth. I bought a Jinhao 500 3 months ago, again with a fine nib and it too writes really well. Last week i received a brown/black ripple Baoer (fine again) and it too writes fine with Diamine Damson.You can actually discern the purply colour which I have found unusual with fine nibs.

None of these pens is as smooth as my Waterman Man200, but that has a European medium gold nib so I would expect it to be better, but it's not by much. I wouldn't choose these chinese pens over something more exotic but I'll probably continue buying models that look nice too me, afterall it's not going to bankrupt me. A couple of the crocodiles are next on the list (not the skywalker lookalike ones).

The Jinhao x750 is beautiful. If you have the feed with a round

dimple in the bottom, great ! The flow is very good. The other

feed, with the long flat bottom, has ink feed that is not so goodn

and has to be "tweeked" at the converter from time to time. Still,

it is a smooth writer that I use daily at work. ($6 w/shipping)

I am glad you like it because you will have it forever. The x750

is nearly indestructible. It is even difficult to scratch.

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am almost certain that you have an x450. The x450 has a concave grip, while the x750 is smooth. You can also tell the difference in the clip shape.

Most large Jinhao pens have the same nib (x450, x750, 159...), but I enjoy the medium nib of my x450 better than my 159, as it is more of a nail and not as springy as the 159.

The good thing about these pens is that they use #5 nibs, so you can get replacements and custom grinds very easily. I suggest xFountainPens, as they have quite a selection from XF to oblique all for about $9 each.

Overall, a very nice review! I hope you enjoy your new pen!

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

I am almost certain that you have an x450. The x450 has a concave grip, while the x750 is smooth. You can also tell the difference in the clip shape.

Most large Jinhao pens have the same nib (x450, x750, 159...), but I enjoy the medium nib of my x450 better than my 159, as it is more of a nail and not as springy as the 159.

The good thing about these pens is that they use #5 nibs, so you can get replacements and custom grinds very easily. I suggest xFountainPens, as they have quite a selection from XF to oblique all for about $9 each.

The pen I'm reviewing is a x750. I purchased it for a good price because it was a bidding item on ebay. If you were to pay the buy it now price, it would probably cost $9-15.

—Oscar Wilde

It's probably worth $9.

Excellent pen for the money: as everybody is obliged to say when talking about Jinhaos, it has a lovely smooth nib.

(The convertor on mine has packed up, but I'll be putting it back into rotation as soon as I've replaced that.)

• 1 month later...

I bought the pen off eBay here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ANP53-Golden-Checked-DRAGON-18KGP-Fountain-Pen-JINHAO-/180758276998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16086b86

However, I've never been able to get the ink to flow immediately. It seems like I have to unscrew it and work with the ink tube to get it flowing again.

Is there a trick to making this kind of pen work? I want to remove the cap and just write.

Thanks

Steve

The pen I'm reviewing is a x750. I purchased it for a good price because it was a bidding item on ebay. If you were to pay the buy it now price, it would probably cost $9-15.

Edited by cjjohnst

I bought the pen off eBay here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ANP53-Golden-Checked-DRAGON-18KGP-Fountain-Pen-JINHAO-/180758276998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16086b86

However, I've never been able to get the ink to flow immediately. It seems like I have to unscrew it and work with the ink tube to get it flowing again.

Is there a trick to making this kind of pen work? I want to remove the cap and just write.

Thanks

Steve

Pull the nib and feed and clean them really good with a soft toothbrush. (using some ammonia and water.) Rinse well and see what that does.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

This is a great pen! The best Chinese pen I have bought recently. The dealer's (Chinese Office Supplies) description on Ebay stated the color is cream white. The pictures of the pen he had on Ebay appeared white as does the picture in this post but it is a very pleasing cream white. The steel nib was suppose to be a medium but writes like a broad, which is okay with me. So far I only used Parker's washable blue super quick ink. I look forward to trying others. Pen has just the right weight and is balanced. The only small problem is where the fingers grip the pen is slippery to my dry fingers.

Even my wife who could care less about pens said it was an attractive pen.

post-100406-0-78453000-1365380018.jpg

I have a X450 that I just filled as part of the rotation and it is quite nice. A bit heavy but that is not a bother and the nib is big, similar in size to a Pilot # 15, which I like.

Hex, aka George

I'm a real newbie to fp's, so I've been buying cheapies to learn what I like and don't like. I've found the x750's are awesome (whether branted Bulow or Jihnao) and own 2 with another 1 on the way. I like that I can get a pen for cheap, play with it, take it apart and learn how things work and don't work, even into nib tuning and cleaning, without worrying about damaging an expensive item.

More kudos for the x750!

I have been singing the praises of Jinhao for some years on this forum,I have stated before that for the price you pay for a Jinhao or a Baoe{same maker} you get more pen than you will ever get from anyone else,I have more that 40 0f these now and they are all great writers,i have been taken to task on several occasions by saying that they have for the price THE BEST NIBS IN THE WORLD, think about it before you reply to me.I am also very aware that if Jinhao have any faults it is in their convertors which really do need a good wash with Amonia and soap diluted in order to clean out the manufacturers oil,once youve done that you will have a pen which will outperform all others, Trust Me

I wholly agree.

When I got my Jinhao X750, I was given a YOUTUBE LINK in the INVOICE!! This link tells us how to wash a fountain pen for its first use.

If you just went "ummmmm.... wash a pen for first use? Doh!" then you MUST see the video too.

Above all, it utilises a dishwasher fluid (a drop), 2 glasses, paper napkins and capillary action to soak out all things that can block the converter.

Result? It writes everytime. On the first time. Without any shaking of the pen or trying it out first.

Cleaning the fountain pen for your first use. So very true.

Cheers!

I see dead fountain pens!

I like my Jinhao X750, since it has proved to be a very affordable reliable comfortable writer, looks good and can be easily taken apart for thorough cleaning.

I use Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI) Iron Gall ink in this pen. This is a fairly dry blue-black ink that as an iron gall ink requires regular pen cleaning.

With ESSRI iron gall my Jinhao X750 does write less wet compared to my Jinhao 159 (a larger cigar shaped pen using a similar nib).

The converter that came with my Jinhao X750 was not as good as the pen.

I use another Chinese converter made by Duke instead. This Duke converter contains a small spring for agitating the ink, can be taken apart easily for cleaning and lubricating the piston, works well and is an improvement over the Jinhao factory converter it replaced.

Edited by Fuellerfuehrerschein