Dilution - Private Reserve Dc Supershow Blue

Sandy1

Hi,

In the case of PRDCSSBl I found that it does not have any performance issues that could be helped by dilution, and seems well-appointed to withstand the rigours of dilution, so my primary interest has to do with the appearance of the ink.

Without further ado, let's crack on . . .

☞ For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

☞ Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/27ddb717.jpg

=:|:=

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 1.

Drawn Lines - in lieu of the ubiquitous but flaky swabs.

Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Comparison%20Exemplars%20Dilution%20PRDCSSBl/INK981_zpsbae2e0d8.jpg

Left → Right : 100, 70, 35, 100%.

Please note: As I had but little ink with which to work, and even less time, Figures 2 - 4 include the stock ink and dilutions at 70 & 35%. Also, as each image is separate, and should appear quite large on one's monitor, I've not included Hi-Res images.

Figure 2.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Comparison%20Exemplars%20Dilution%20PRDCSSBl/INK989_zpsbc388f33.jpg

Figure 3.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Comparison%20Exemplars%20Dilution%20PRDCSSBl/INK990_zpsdf2bb83e.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Comparison%20Exemplars%20Dilution%20PRDCSSBl/INK991_zpsf612b44a.jpg

Bleed- Show-Through

Figure 5.

Paper: Staples - Obverse of Figure 4.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Comparison%20Exemplars%20Dilution%20PRDCSSBl/INK988_zps4df74f92.jpg

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS

• Unlike some of the other inks that I've used diluted, PRDCSSBl won't show the effect of dilution until about 70%, and tolerates dilution to about 30%.
  • On the Staples, the line was a bit wooly at 100%, which was cleared-up at 70%.
  • No significant shading, (density variation within a continuous line), was revealed as dilution increased.
  • The writing experience remained acceptable at all dilutions on papers used. Lubricity diminished as dilution increased, so extreme combos of diluted ink from hair's-breadth nibs on textured-beyond-toothy papers may not be all that inviting.
  • Dilution did not alter the incidence or extent of bleed- show-through.

If there is a strong desire for Hi-Res scans or other specific aspect of these samples, please send a PM. As ever, scans are far more likely to be generated than even more inky work.

Bye,

S1

= = = =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Sampling Pen: Rosetta Magellan + Schmidt g-p steel B nib.

Lines & labels: Pilot Penmanship + EF running Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figure 1 was scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Figures 2 - 5 were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobucket & IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Topic depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Dilution Comparison Sandy1 Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue Super Show

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• stefanv

• Sasha Royale

• kpyeoman

LINKS:

Ink Review - Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue:

Comparison - Private Reserve American Blue :: DC Supershow Blue:

Prior bits about dilution that I've posted to date:

Edited by Sandy1

I see PRDCSSBl as pure blue. It is not affected significantly by slight dilution.

I have no thought of intentional dilution. 70% dilution reminds me of Noodler's

blue. I have that, also.

Thanks. I enjoyed this.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks for all of these! You truly are the gold standard of ink reviewers!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

I see PRDCSSBl as pure blue. It is not affected significantly by slight dilution.

I have no thought of intentional dilution. 70% dilution reminds me of Noodler's

blue. I have that, also.

Thanks. I enjoyed this.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for sharing your impression of PRDCSSBl, especially the similarity to Noodler's Blue.

I find that dilution of an ink such as PRDCSSBl can span quite a range of other "pure blue" inks; and the similarity to PR American Blue and the sadly discontinued Parker Penmanship Sapphire has been remarked upon. So that's three other inks that might be hiding in one bottle of PRDCSSBl . . . almost. ;)

Bye,

S1

I prefer to dilute PRDCSSBl to about 33% using Pelikan Royal Blue rather than water (i.e. 1 part DCSSB to 2 parts PRB). That mixture looks a lot like Parker Penman Sapphire.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your mix to emulate PPS. :thumbup:

There was a fairlt recent thread on other ways to conjure PPS, though it seems the finest subtleties and handling/manners remain elusive:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/238291-which-ink-is-closer-to-penman-sapphire/page__view__findpost__p__2574929

Bye,

S1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sandy,

Great reviews, thanks!

You may want to check "drying time" if DCSSB is diluted. I had similar issues of never-drying with Noodlers bullet proof black - i can still smudge writing that is 7 years old -but what is smudged is pigment due to the high saturation. if you dilute, I think you will find saturation comes down and you may end up with faster drying. YMMV.

Thanks again for the time and effort you put in your reviews.

"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Dear Sandy,

Great reviews, thanks!

You may want to check "drying time" if DCSSB is diluted. I had similar issues of never-drying with Noodlers bullet proof black - i can still smudge writing that is 7 years old -but what is smudged is pigment due to the high saturation. if you dilute, I think you will find saturation comes down and you may end up with faster drying. YMMV.

Thanks again for the time and effort you put in your reviews.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I certainly appreciate your comments & concerns. :thumbup:

I have a bit of history with this ink: I didn't particularly enjoy the results from the first bottle I bought in 2010, so gifted it to a friend who used it for her watercolours. That ink did have a problem with smudging [under pressure] and the dreaded 'never truly dry', which did not cause a problem with her watercolours.

When my friend recently bought a new bottle, she gifted me with a sample. That ink was used to generate a set of Comparison Exemplars appended to the original Ink Review, Post № 34, and the samples above. It seemed the current ink has much improved Smear/Dry Times, and was truly dry (smudge proof) at less than one minute. As I considered such problems were solved, I did not do the S/DT tests for the dilutions.

Also, in my prior S/DT testing of diluted ink, I found there was not a consistent/reliable correlation between dilution and S/DT; and that changing paper was a far more consistent/reliable means to reduce S/DT than dilution.

This sort of testing is relative, and the results shown may not be representative of other people's matériel & manner of working.

As these things go, I am not the least bit hesitant to suggest dilution as a no/low-cost means of tweaking an ink in terms of line quality, flow and S/DT - no doubt that some are more likely to get lucky than I. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 2 weeks later...

I used my 2010 bottle for mixing with other inks. I was expecting so much more vibrance from this ink. Thank you for the posting!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY