Nakaya Kanji

tandaina

And how about the descriptive: 海之筆?

Though I'm leaning toward Ginpa.

That would be umi no fude. umi (sea/ocean) no (of) fude (brush). So it becomes literally spelled out in Japanese.

It would be written 海の筆 in everyday language, but I think using 之 for "no"--that's how no was written before kana became simplified--would be classy.

海筆 could be pronounced Japanese style "umi fude" or Sino-Japanese style "kaihitsu."

Note, though, that 筆 means brush (as in animal hair attached to wood). 万年筆 (mannenhitsu is the Japanese term for fountain pen; brush of "mannen"--ten thousand years!)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skysora

• tandaina

• asaha

• TLab3000

Getting off topic here, but I couldn't resist checking out Nakaya's site.

I see that they have a pen called 水魚 (suigyo), water and fish!

http://www.nakaya.org/gallery.aspx?body=Raden

And below that 天の川 (Amanogawa)--Milky Way!

Gorgeous pens!

My dictionary tells me that 銀波 also refers to a textile pattern. (Ed: actually not a pattern by technique.)

Edited by skysora

Would 海万年筆 be strange? Using the characters for fountain pen instead of brush, with the character for sea/ocean? That does drop no, it would be 海之万年筆 with "of" and that seems rather unwieldy. Umi Fude, or Kaihitsu sounds more poetic to my midwestern tongue, but pronounced by a Japanese speaker I'm guessing Ginpa also sounds far different than I say it. ;)

Edit: also: So, learning MORE about Japanese. Wave it looks like can be pronounce nami, OR pa? (There is actually a pronunciation website with recordings of people speaking, very cool.)

Gin Nami feels right on my tongue, is that a strange combination?

And I ADORE milky way. That will definitely be my next Nakaya. ;)

Edited by tandaina

波: the on'yomi (Chinese reading) is ha (becomes pronounced pa when combined with something else) and the kun'yomi (Japanese reading) is nami.

Nami is such a lovely sound. It's a cute girl's name, too. (Although the characters used is typically 奈美 or 成実, etc. Here I go off topic again!)

Gin Nami -- I find myself wanting to put "no" between gin and nami because of the latter's Japanese reading. BUT I think you can pronounce it however you like :thumbup:

Woot, 銀波 it is! The pen has a name. Now the long, long waiting may begin...

Thanks for the Japanese lesson all, that was fun. :)

海洋之笔 is more poetic than 歌唱之水

I agree!

In contemporary Japanese 筆 is more commonly used than 笔. And 海洋 in contemporary Japanese often appears in technical terms and for poetry I think just 海 would be more prevalent. So 海之筆 ? (Hmm...that has a bit of literal/descriptive quality..."brush of sea"...)

Since the pen itself is/represents the brush part, though, a single character 水 (water) might be an option (as in Lisa's example)? With the blue color of the pen itself, as well as the silver waves (銀波--which can also refer to shimmery waves reflecting moonlight, but sounds like your pen is more a daytime scene than a nighttime one)...

BTW, I love the juxtaposition of goldfish and silver powder! Gold 金 and silver 銀--such an auspicious and celebratory combo!

Thank you for correcting my mistake. It should be 筆, traditional Chinese or Kanji. 笔is simplified Chinese. Sorry about this. :roflmho:

Hi guys,

kinda off topic but what fountain pen do you guys use for writing kanji? I like to write with a mechanical pencil with B fillings which are smoother and less stiff compared to HB pencil fillings. what fountain pen is the most similar to a mechanical pencil? any help is much appreciated.

Thank you for correcting my mistake. It should be 筆, traditional Chinese or Kanji. 笔is simplified Chinese. Sorry about this. :roflmho:

I confess I had to look 笔 up, as I'm not familiar with simplified Chinese :embarrassed_smile: .

BUT in fact 笔 was in the Japanese kanji dictionary, too! It appears that over time 筆 became more commonly used in everyday Japanese. So not a mistake at all!

Hi guys,

kinda off topic but what fountain pen do you guys use for writing kanji? I like to write with a mechanical pencil with B fillings which are smoother and less stiff compared to HB pencil fillings. what fountain pen is the most similar to a mechanical pencil? any help is much appreciated.

Hi PMG92, perhaps you can tell us which fountain pen you've used/are using and if you're looking for something different?

For writing Japanese, I personally like my Vanishing Point M for the springiness of the nib (for the tome and harai), but if you want something more pencil lead like, I wonder if Lamy Safari F nibs or M nibs might be similar in feel? A bit more stiffer than the VP nib, but they glide on paper (at least for me). But it's such a personal preference, it's really hard to say...!

VirtuThe3rd just posted a link to a Japanese glass pen maker in the Sailor Nibs Comparison thread.

Their on-site video of someone writing kanji and kana with the glass pen is .... Wow.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Why add the 'brush'?

It adds characters, is not necessary in all can see it's a fountain pen.

It would be like adding the word sword to a sword.

Moonlit waves, or Dusk (twilight) waves, dawn's gray, first light waves...something simpler, where a larger?? written letter design could be worked into the basic design of the pen.

What is your impression of the silver on the dark blue? Leading towards night, or when light first shivers the waves.

In either case there could be a blue just before or just after the gray.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi guys,

My current favorite pen for Chinese character writing is M1000 Fine nib. In the same space, I can easily write English with a broad nib, but to write Chinese character clearly, I have to use fine nib. For example 龍 means dragon. If using a broad nib for Chinese character, many strocks will get into a mess :) The springy feeling of M1000 nib can slightly imitate the brush pen used for Chinese calligraphy.

I didn't end up using brush at all. I went with just "silver wave" Gin nami. (Ginnami?)

Congrats for the wonderful pen :)

Please kindly consider to show us the pen images when you get it. Must be gorgeous. :thumbup:

Good I guess that will be easy to read with out some one needing to take the pen to hand.

Simplicity often has to do with what little I know of Japanese art.

A raked rock garden is simple at one level; at others the same raking of the garden has many cultural and artistic levels.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi guys,

My current favorite pen for Chinese character writing is M1000 Fine nib. In the same space, I can easily write English with a broad nib, but to write Chinese character clearly, I have to use fine nib. For example 龍 means dragon. If using a broad nib for Chinese character, many strocks will get into a mess :) The springy feeling of M1000 nib can slightly imitate the brush pen used for Chinese calligraphy.

Much appreciated!I'm just a student though and that pen is far above my budget, I was looking for something around the price of 50 euros.

Skysora, thank you for the links. :thumbup: