Newbie With A Nakaya Dream..

trax

Regarding your grip, there is something to consider: changing the angle of the pen with respect to the plane of the paper also changes the contact surface of the nib. With some nibs, this may not matter too much. But other nibs become scratchy or start skipping when the pen angle is changed. You could ask the Mottishaws to make sure the nib has a ball tip that isn't so picky about pen angle. I don't have a Nakaya, so I don't know if their nibs are like that. However, the one Platinum nib I have (and I think Nakaya nibs are sourced from Platinum) is nice and smooth over a wide range of angles.

Another thought: you might consider a slightly modified way of holding your pen that is like the standard way if holding a brush for Japanese or Chinese brush painting. It's similar to the way you're supposed to hold chopsticks. I think it's pretty close to the way you now hold the pen, but gives a little more control to the fingers.

Thank you Dr Grace. I think that the chopstick way would be a salvation here if I fail to find my way in the traditional tripod grip. :) I see that I can in my death grip choose many angles and write equally okay in all of them, so I can easily write with the same angle as the tripod grip from my death grip.

Thank you also for the tip advice! I am very excited about these Nakaya plans, though they scare me too. I have spent alot more on camera gear so I don't know why it feels so scary to plan an expensive pen buy. I think it is because most of the people I know would not understand me, and they would be both dissapointed and angry with me if they were to know what I spent on the pen. So when and if I get it, it will be kind of a hidden "secret" a bit of a shame pen whenever there are visitors, if that makes any sense. I will not be able to show this pen proudly to all who know me, that is for sure :) But that is the only thing that makes something in me hold back. Fear of judgment I guess :)

But now it's time for bed, I need to learn how to drag myself away from this wonderfully addictive site every now and then :D Have a wonderful day Dr Grace and thank you very much for your inputs and especially that chopstick idea! I loved it! A potential way out should I fail at the other grip :) :) :)

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trax

• JLS1

• cnjackson

• Pen Nut

Top Posters In This Topic

I always recommend a trip to a real pen store for anyone getting started with fountain pens--or anyone interested in fountain pens for that matter. Glenn Marcus has a list of pen stores in Europe. There wasn't one in Norway, but there were some in Sweden and Denmark. Of course, the FPN favorite is Akkerman in The Netherlands. At a good pen store, you can try all sorts of pens. I have gone to a pen store looking for one specific pen and leaving with another because I found that I didn't really like my first choice after all. A pen store should have a knowledgeable staff who can help you find a pen that suits your needs and your pocketbook. I recall seeing somewhere on FPN that a european store may start selling Nakaya. Nakaya is very particular about who sets up there nibs. It requires a steaming process to seat the nib and feed into the pen--not just anyone is equipped to do that properly.

I am sure that you will find your dream pen, and then another dream pen, ad infinitum.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I always recommend a trip to a real pen store for anyone getting started with fountain pens--or anyone interested in fountain pens for that matter. Glenn Marcus has a list of pen stores in Europe. There wasn't one in Norway, but there were some in Sweden and Denmark. Of course, the FPN favorite is Akkerman in The Netherlands. At a good pen store, you can try all sorts of pens. I have gone to a pen store looking for one specific pen and leaving with another because I found that I didn't really like my first choice after all. A pen store should have a knowledgeable staff who can help you find a pen that suits your needs and your pocketbook. I recall seeing somewhere on FPN that a european store may start selling Nakaya. Nakaya is very particular about who sets up there nibs. It requires a steaming process to seat the nib and feed into the pen--not just anyone is equipped to do that properly.

I am sure that you will find your dream pen, and then another dream pen, ad infinitum.

Dear Frank I would like nothing more than to stand inside a real pen store, but being unable to travel due to anxiety is one of my main obstacles in life. Even when my Dad was hospitalized and dying from cancer, it took all I had to take that five hour journey out of my comfort zone here in this small forgotten village I live in. I would not have contemplated buying such an expensive pen unseen and untested, let alone dreaming of different nib customizations had it not been for the fact that I will not be able to travel. There's alot of easy ways to travel to Sweden and Denmark from my neighboring cities, yet I never have.

When I did finally take the trip to Oslo, I also visited one of the perfume stores I had always wanted to see, and as you said, I came out with something other than what I thought I'd prioritize :) I love Pelikan clear demonstrators and perhaps an M200 would be my next pen. I know, it would be smarter to have it be my first pen, but.. I'm difficult to turn around. That unpolished shu color and finish awakens some memories in me from a time when I was a child, when all things felt more organic, the sunrays from the sunsets were more yellow and time seemed to move slower as the dust danced in the sunrays in my bedroom. I have a tobacco perfume named Bell'Antonio that awakens that same feel in me.

I will save that list of penstores though, in the hope I can get stronger with time, I do plan to widen that inner electric fence that fences in my comfort zone.. and especially Netherlands, that would be something!

You've given me additional dreams here!!! :D

All the best from Bella! :)

While I'm here I wondered if anyone here with a Nakaya BB nib could say something about it? It seems most people move in the direction of very thin nibs. :)

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

I got an email back from John Mottishaw today!!! Is it weird that I have tears streaming down my face right now? Probably have my period coming soon, if not it is just the sheer weight of this actually coming into planning!

I felt completely stupid listing all my fancy preferences when in fact I have only ever had Pelikanos and two Lamys, I don't know if there are enough differences between this or that Pelikano pen that I should even have a picture of what I prefer :D And not a bad word about Pelikano's (I don't know Lamy that well, only had them for a few days) my Pelikanos are my best of friends! :notworthy1:

I went on eBay last night and deleted 39 saved searches and deleted 16 pens from my wishlist. I need to commit :D

My boyfriend who has no interest whatsoever in pens sat down beside me last night as I had five or six nibs.com pages up at the same time. And he actually had an opinion! Out of the blue he pointed at a ruthenium nib and said that I should get that one on my shu. I told him I can't just "get that one" there are costs. And I'm a newbie. If I don't know what a ruthenium nib does or doesn't then I am none the wiser and will be quite okay without it :D

Just had to share my thoughts, I haven't felt this excited in eons! Now on to how many perfumes can I sell and how quickly.. :puddle:

Edit: I know how I can get myself down to earth again! I noticed our toilet was beginning to look a little heki-tamenuri (just a hint of it! :embarrassed_smile: ) I will go and clean that :D

Edited by trax

I got an email back from John Mottishaw today!!! Is it weird that I have tears streaming down my face right now? Probably have my period coming soon, if not it is just the sheer weight of this actually coming into planning!

I felt completely stupid listing all my fancy preferences when in fact I have only ever had Pelikanos and two Lamys, I don't know if there are enough differences between this or that Pelikano pen that I should even have a picture of what I prefer :D And not a bad word about Pelikano's (I don't know Lamy that well, only had them for a few days) my Pelikanos are my best of friends! :notworthy1:

Glad to hear that you made contact w/John. Although I've never dealt with him, I've only heard good things about his customer service, so I'm quite sure you'll be happy with the result. Now you have to learn about the all-powerful Nakaya Shield (...erm, Ethernautrix, could you help here? My Nakaya shield generator is pretty rusty)

I went on eBay last night and deleted 39 saved searches and deleted 16 pens from my wishlist. I need to commit :D

My boyfriend who has no interest whatsoever in pens sat down beside me last night as I had five or six nibs.com pages up at the same time. And he actually had an opinion! Out of the blue he pointed at a ruthenium nib and said that I should get that one on my shu. I told him I can't just "get that one" there are costs. And I'm a newbie. If I don't know what a ruthenium nib does or doesn't then I am none the wiser and will be quite okay without it :D

Just had to share my thoughts, I haven't felt this excited in eons! Now on to how many perfumes can I sell and how quickly.. :puddle:

Nice to hear that you're so excited. I just hope the pen doesn't let you down (see some of the earlier posts)

FYI, most Nakaya nibs (and matching clips, if you're getting a writer model) are made of 14K gold, which means that the pen will have gold accents (AKA 'hardware'). While this looks great with some colors (e.g., oranges, reds, etc.), it doesn't work with all of the colors available. A ruthenium nib (which is just the standard gold nib w/a ruthenium plating; see here) is more silvery-grey and might be more suitable for other colors (e.g., blue, black, etc.).

With that said, it's up to you as to what you get: it's your pen, customize it as you want (and/or can afford). It's the same Nakata nib underneath so the choice of plating shouldn't affect the pen's writing, especially considering that John can/will customize to your writing style. (You did send him the picture of how you hold your pen, right?)

Edit: I know how I can get myself down to earth again! I noticed our toilet was beginning to look a little heki-tamenuri (just a hint of it! :embarrassed_smile: ) I will go and clean that :D

Whoa - TMI. :sick:

Glad to hear that you made contact w/John. Although I've never dealt with him, I've only heard good things about his customer service, so I'm quite sure you'll be happy with the result. Now you have to learn about the all-powerful Nakaya Shield (...erm, Ethernautrix, could you help here? My Nakaya shield generator is pretty rusty)

Nice to hear that you're so excited. I just hope the pen doesn't let you down (see some of the earlier posts)

FYI, most Nakaya nibs (and matching clips, if you're getting a writer model) are made of 14K gold, which means that the pen will have gold accents (AKA 'hardware'). While this looks great with some colors (e.g., oranges, reds, etc.), it doesn't work with all of the colors available. A ruthenium nib (which is just the standard gold nib w/a ruthenium plating; see here) is more silvery-grey and might be more suitable for other colors (e.g., blue, black, etc.).

With that said, it's up to you as to what you get: it's your pen, customize it as you want (and/or can afford). It's the same Nakata nib underneath so the choice of plating shouldn't affect the pen's writing, especially considering that John can/will customize to your writing style. (You did send him the picture of how you hold your pen, right?)

Whoa - TMI. :sick:

Ha ha, my toilet is quite clean, I just couldn't resist using one of these fancy japanese colour-names in a new not so fancy setting : Forgive me :bunny01: But I swear I have seen heki-tamenuri toilets in my life, just not my own :D

Thank you for all your input!

I will go with the stock nib, is it? The golden that they show on the picture of the unpolished shu Naka-ai. The gold gives it kind of a sunset vibe, while the other alternatives stole some of the warmth from the pen, I felt.

I asked if I should send a picture of my grip, so we'll see. He said he'd customize my pen to fit my death grip, so there were no talk there about me changing my grip, which gave me both relief and surprise :)My handwriting is dead ugly at the moment after having tried to convert to the tripod grip for a few days and ending up completely confused. I feel for my pen pals while I get it sorted out. :embarrassed_smile: I do not know at this point if I will keep my old grip or continue practicing the tripod.

I am really excited about this pen, I'm having alot to deal with in my life right now, so there has been very little to be excited about for a long time, in fact quite the opposite which is why I was desperate enough to go through with this, despite being a newbie and all. I needed something to look forward to. (I have gotten some new penpals too, that give me alot to look forward too, and my letters by the way, are never dreary :) )

I will have to wait at least three more weeks before ordering as my account is quite slim at the moment. I will post pictures as soon as the pen has become reality :) :) :)

I don't think I'll be let down by the pen, though I have no idea as to what real life size is of these pens. The pen picture on nibs.com shown on my computer screen shows the naka-ai at the same length as my Pelikano, if I hold the Pelikano up to the screen, but that would make the Naka-ai about twice as fat as the Pelikano? Which is okay, all is okay no matter :)

I would have needed to see it pictured next to a Pelikano I guess, and my Pelikanos would have been very very proud if someone could make that happen! :)

Edited by trax

I've always had good service from Mr. Mottishaw. He is a true gentleman. A Pelikano is similar to the M800, but the Pelikano has less mass, about 17 g. This is from the nibs.com website. As you can see, they are fairly close.

ManufacturerModel MaterialWeight (gr.)Closed Length (in)Posted Length (in)Barrel Length (in)Barrel Width (in)Section Diameter (in)Ink Capacity (ml.)Filling System
CompareNakayaNaka-aiUrushi Lacquer over Hard Rubber265.96.44.50.590.40.9C/Cart 1.5
ComparePelikanM800Resin25.55.4386.3754.1250.530.422Piston
Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I've always had good service from Mr. Mottishaw. He is a true gentleman. A Pelikano is similar to the M800, but the Pelikano has less mass, about 17 g.

Thank you sooo much Frank C for taking the time to post that comparison and explaining! I would have had no idea what the size of an M800 was, oh my do they come in clear demonstrators, like the M200 and the M1005? No don't tell me, I must not know! :D

I love the size of the Pelikano, it's the pen it's always been about for me. I love that it weighs so little and that it has such a simple clean design :)

Thank you for your help! :) :) :)

PS, for all you heki-tamenuri owners out there, I do find it a beautiful color!!! :notworthy1: Reminds me much more of a mystic magic fairytale swamp than it does a dirty toilet :D :) :)

Edited by trax

And not a bad word about Pelikano's (I don't know Lamy that well, only had them for a few days) my Pelikanos are my best of friends! :notworthy1:

A red pelikano was my most used pen for years. I forgot it in a plane :bonk:. My sweetheart bought me one several years after and I still have it and use it. I bought a blue one too when Pelikan changed the Pelikano design (I really like the translucide design).

Hope you will find what you are looking for! I played with that idea myself and choosing the right Nakaya design and the right color can be very obessive!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

A red pelikano was my most used pen for years. I forgot it in a plane :bonk:. My sweetheart bought me one several years after and I still have it and use it. I bought a blue one too when Pelikan changed the Pelikano design (I really like the translucide design).

Hope you will find what you are looking for! I played with that idea myself and choosing the right Nakaya design and the right color can be very obessive!

I feel you! My dog chewed up my favourite, it was a blue EF nib that was just irrationally juicy wet for such a fine nib. I bought all my current Pelikanos looking for a nib with the same feel, but never found one. Some of the ones I bought were really scratchy even, but I read something on another thread about rehearsing basic nib smoothing with a micromesh grade 12000 something? I found micromesh like that on eBay and plan to go to work on the worst of my Pelikanos, as with those I can't loose anyhow ;)

I haven't gotten used to the translucent design yet. I'm so used to the oldfashioned blue ones. For some reason when ordering Pelikanos from my bookstore, I almost always got blue ones :) So when I saw a blue Schaeffer 300 on eBay not long ago I felt it looked like a superior Pelikano and had to have it immediately :D I'm a sucker for that simple design, and now when I know that clipless pens exist, and they now are my favourite! I still like clips on Pelikanos, Schaeffers and the Pilot 78G, on that kind of looks :) And when I deleted all the pens in my wishlist now on eBay to be strict with myself, it was that kind of looks in all the pens, I just love them! :) :) :)

It is obsessive, the Nakaya design choices! I still almost feel pain when choosing only one.. as the Nanohana-Iro and the matte hairline speak to me soo much as well.. I must hope for a long life, knock on wood :)

That was so nice of your sweetheart to get you a new one like the one you lost! Payed attention that one! :wub: :)

Edited by trax

I still remember: when I was in primary school, we had to write with a FP, adn Pelikanos were mandatory. One year (guessing end of the 70s), one of the kid came to school with a BLUE Pelikano, when all other kids had the red one. That was a big concussion!

I guess I don't have good memories from learing how to write (never had better a better grade than the 60% equivalant), so no good memories from the Pelikanos of that time, I guess. It's only when in gymnasium (aftwer secondary or high school) that I came back to FPs, with a Waterman. I never used a BP ever after...

Smoothing a nib with a 12000 micromech is rather easy, I must say, as long as you go slowly and don't try to get a perfect result the first time you try and smooth your nib. Do it, try your nib, use it for a while, then if it's still a bit scratchy, come back to it. I work on my Waterman super 6 four or five time before full satisfaction (and it's far from what a nibmeister would have achive, of crouse, just dilettante work, but the pen writes good for me).

amonjak.com

I still remember: when I was in primary school, we had to write with a FP, adn Pelikanos were mandatory. One year (guessing end of the 70s), one of the kid came to school with a BLUE Pelikano, when all other kids had the red one. That was a big concussion!

I guess I don't have good memories from learing how to write (never had better a better grade than the 60% equivalant), so no good memories from the Pelikanos of that time, I guess. It's only when in gymnasium (aftwer secondary or high school) that I came back to FPs, with a Waterman. I never used a BP ever after...

Smoothing a nib with a 12000 micromech is rather easy, I must say, as long as you go slowly and don't try to get a perfect result the first time you try and smooth your nib. Do it, try your nib, use it for a while, then if it's still a bit scratchy, come back to it. I work on my Waterman super 6 four or five time before full satisfaction (and it's far from what a nibmeister would have achive, of crouse, just dilettante work, but the pen writes good for me).

I remember the first time I went to the bookstore to pick up my new Pelikanos and I got a RED one! I was soo excited, and I remember I got a black one in that same haul, I was just dancing on my way home. Had never seen those before ;)

I am sorry to hear of your memories, learning to write. I don't even dare tap into my school memories, those were messy years, emotionally. I hope your joy of writing now makes up for some of the memories from that time.

I found a thread here in pen history named "Pelikan Pelikano chronology" I see all mine are type 4 and 5.

It was only yesterday I read about the micromesh thing, and found it on eBay. I am so excited about that, as I never knew there was anything to do with scratchy nibs, I thought it all came down to luck whether or not one got a good specimen, and that what you got you had to live with :D I learn so much here!

Now I saw a picture of one of those newest version Pelikanos and that one was very cool! I have never seen these in real life, in that clear version. Did you mean one of those or have you seen one? See if I can post the pic I saw online here:

http://i.imgur.com/xiMi5Xel.jpg

Edited by trax

Now I saw a picture of one of those newest version Pelikanos and that one was very cool! I have never seen these in real life, in that clear version. Did you mean one of those or have you seen one? See if I can post the pic I saw online here:

http://i.imgur.com/xiMi5Xel.jpg

This one is nice, but I was talking about the previous version:

Here

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

Namo that's the one I thought you meant, but then I came across this other one that I hadn't seen before and had to ask in case :) They are both very nice and I liked that red color, though I tend to like abit of edges and angles over rounded ends.

My invoice came today from nibs.com, on a Naka-ai unpolished shu single tone BB stub nib, with medium ink flow. I wondered if anyone here could give me some inkflow tips. I wrote to nibs.com saying I like a really wet nib, just a hair drier than making one expect it to drip when lifting it from the paper. I know that probably isn't smart with a broad nib such as a BB as the ink will be spent in a second, but I have to ask you people here, is medium ink flow what I'm after or should I ask for more? Does anyone have a BB nib in medium or more inkflow and can tell me something about it? I have no idea what the different strength flows mean in real life :headsmack:

Edit I see now in two other places on the invoice it says medium-wet ink flow, so I guess then I'm all set :) :) My first Nakaya, may be my only ever Nakaya, I am feeling happy and faint at the same time :)

Edited by trax

Congrats! Take some time to get the Pelikanos ready to welcome the newcomer as this one will see a lot of use, I am sure!

All Pelikanos and the two Lamys are thoroughly rinsed and reinked today, each in their own shade of ink (All Private Reserve and one Diamine ink) :thumbup: And the packed away not in use scratchy unlucky Pelikanos I've had for years will soon meet some micromesh and a better fate I hope, as I miss them too! :)

Thank you for your gratulation! :) :) :)

Edited by trax

Namo that's the one I thought you meant, but then I came across this other one that I hadn't seen before and had to ask in case :) They are both very nice and I liked that red color, though I tend to like abit of edges and angles over rounded ends.

My invoice came today from nibs.com, on a Naka-ai unpolished shu single tone BB stub nib, with medium ink flow. I wondered if anyone here could give me some inkflow tips. I wrote to nibs.com saying I like a really wet nib, just a hair drier than making one expect it to drip when lifting it from the paper. I know that probably isn't smart with a broad nib such as a BB as the ink will be spent in a second, but I have to ask you people here, is medium ink flow what I'm after or should I ask for more? Does anyone have a BB nib in medium or more inkflow and can tell me something about it? I have no idea what the different strength flows mean in real life :headsmack:

Edit I see now in two other places on the invoice it says medium-wet ink flow, so I guess then I'm all set :) :) My first Nakaya, may be my only ever Nakaya, I am feeling happy and faint at the same time :)

I would clarify with them that what you want is "medium-wet". Inkflow is mostly independent of the nib size. "Medium-wet" will put down a lot of ink and take some time to dry. It would not be appropriate for use on cheap copy paper; the ink would bleed through or at least show through.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any pen from nibs.com will be able to write well, some just put down more ink than others. I know you will enjoy your new pen.

I would clarify with them that what you want is "medium-wet". Inkflow is mostly independent of the nib size. "Medium-wet" will put down a lot of ink and take some time to dry. It would not be appropriate for use on cheap copy paper; the ink would bleed through or at least show through.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any pen from nibs.com will be able to write well, some just put down more ink than others. I know you will enjoy your new pen.

Thank you Frank C! I will clarify it for them upon their next reply, and I am sure too the pen will be a joy no matter what they do. I mean all my Pelikanos are a joy for me, exept for the few real scratchy ones I've gotten. And some of the Pelikanos that I have in rotation are probably not what the experienced users here would call very smooth ;)

I sent two pictures of my deathgrip so that the pen will be set up for this. I see that my way of gripping turns the nib more counter clockwise than does the tripod grip, so I sent a detail pic of that too, just to having mentioned absolutely everything that may or may not be relevant to them :D

I came on this forum searching for info on Pelikano alternatives, and read threads on affordable pens. I never saw this coming! :embarrassed_smile: :) I told a mexican friend about the pen and that there may or may not be much food this month ;D He laughed and answered: Well refried beans and tortillas go a along way!:D I will take him up on that idea :) :) :)

Edited by trax

<SNIP>

It was only yesterday I read about the micromesh thing, and found it on eBay. I am so excited about that, as I never knew there was anything to do with scratchy nibs, I thought it all came down to luck whether or not one got a good specimen, and that what you got you had to live with :D I learn so much here!

Just an aside that you should be careful with smoothing nibs using micromesh (especially on nice pens like your Nakaya). Practice on cheap pens because it's way too easy to go overboard and take off too much in the quest for a smooth nib.

BTW, there's also another (supposedly somewhat less destructive) technique that involves drawing figure 8's on kraft paper bags (like the kind they used to pack groceries in...now I'm dating myself); I think you can find info on FPN about this in another forum (Writing Instruments comes to mind, but I could be wrong.)

HTH and look forward to seeing pictures of the new addition, once you get it. BTW, since you keep your pens inside but use your photos outside, are we going to see some outdoor 'action shots' of the Nakaya in the wild? ;)