Newbie With A Nakaya Dream..

trax

The regular Nakaya nibs have a nice bit of springiness and are not too stiff. The 'soft' Nakaya nibs are even more springy, but I think they're a little harder to control. They are for me, anyway.

If you decide to get a Naka-ai, then I would recommend that you purchase this cleaning kit along with it: http://www.nibs.com/NakayaOptionsAccessoriesInkCleaningKit.html I haven't needed to use the little cleaning packets yet, but the plastic bulb is very handy for flushing the Nakayas with a short section like the Naka-ai.

It's hard to choose a finish, isn't it? They're all beautiful and look even better in person than they do in photos.

Thank you Geoduc, this is very useful! I would probably have a hard time controlling a too springy pen as well, I just want a slight softness to the nib, just enough to not make it feel locked. Cleaning kit is a good idea! I had never seen a cleaning kit, oh my, I am a newb.. :)

It is hard to choose a finish, but it will take me some time to save up for this so I'll have time to concider. I hope the Naka-ai's are not very limited editions that will go away very soon, that would be :gaah:

I am so grateful for all the help I've gotten from all of you, and for being taken seriously and met with understanding in spite of me being a total newb wanting a crazy expensive pen. I know I at times am so annoyed at young people I know when they get all the best camera equipment served up on a silver platter within months of having discovered photography, while I started with a very old film camera at age ten and worked my way through at least nine more or less crappy cameras before getting my first SLR as an adult. :mad: :D

I wondered if I could ask one more question, do most of you choose nib style based on your current handwriting or do you choose nib based on the writing style you want to achieve? I tried a Lamy Joy with a 1.1 nib today and it did wonders for my handwriting, and I loved the nib width of it, perfect! My style of handwriting seems like it would fit a stub nib very well though, but then again how do you choose?

Thank you Geoduc for describing the Nakaya nibs and for introducing me to the concept of cleaning kits!

All the best from Bella, now it's time for bed and Naka-ai dreams, I'll have to see if I dream of one what finish has been chosen in the dream :D

Edited by trax

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trax

• JLS1

• cnjackson

• Pen Nut

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered if I could ask one more question, do most of you choose nib style based on your current handwriting or do you choose nib based on the writing style you want to achieve? I tried a Lamy Joy with a 1.1 nib today and it did wonders for my handwriting, and I loved the nib width of it, perfect! My style of handwriting seems like it would fit a stub nib very well though, but then again how do you choose?

It's hard to tell you how to choose a nib without knowing what you like, and it sounds like you haven't sampled enough different nibs to be sure yet.

For my first Nakaya, I sent John M. a writing sample from a nib that I liked, and asked him to grind my Nakaya to match it. You could do the same with a writing sample from the Lamy 1.1 nib if you like the line width and variation it produces. Once I had the first one, I learned more about what I liked and what I didn't and have had each subsequent nib made a little differently.

I will second Geoduck's warning about purchasing an expensive pen so soon. Nakaya are very simple pens and can be a big disappointment for people. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement on FPN. Looking at pictures on nibs.com or Nakaya website are a powerful stimulus. The excitement is in the idea of acquiring the pen. There is the potential for a significant letdown when looking at a simple pen made of hard rubber, when you unbox the pen. I would suggest moving up to a less expensive pen first. You could try one of the nicer Pilots or a Platinum President. Some of the users on FPN describe the Platinum pens as having the same feel as Nakaya. Spending $200.00 on a pen would be a significant jump in pens for you. You may find that it is better to stick with your Pelikan pens.

Sometimes, I feel as if I am in the Nakaya Cult on FPN. I enjoy Nakaya immensely, but am very hesitant to recommend them to people now. Tastes are very individual, especially among pens. When you are spending over $600.00 on a pen, it is a substantial investment, especially without holding and using the pens. I know from personal experience when I suggested to my brother that he try a Nakaya pen. He had been happy using his Lamy Safari pens. He purchased a very nice new Nakaya for $800.00 dollars. The pen was more of a burden to him than a joy. He sold the pen but I felt bad. He was really underwhelmed with the pen. I can understand his viewpoint.

With all these warnings, I do own three Nakaya pens and love them. I use my pens several hours a day. My wife can not see the value in them. She thinks I'm crazy for spending the money on the pens. Most people, if you handed a Nakaya to them would have no idea that the pen cost so much money.

I have both the hairline and the Kuro Tami-Nuri. The hairline has a more silky feel to it than the tami-nuri. I like both finishes and would be hard pressed if I had to sell one and choose only one. The Kuro Tami-Nuri is more beautiful but the hairline has a better feel.

Edited by JustinJ

Oh my goodness, where to begin?! :-D

First, if I knew how much I would like Nakayas, I would not have bought many other pens that I eventually bought (many of which I either sold or gave away), so I admire that this is your strategy. Buy the pen you know you want (or you're quite sure -- as Justin (I think it was Justin) said, if you don't like the Nakaya, you will be able to sell it very quickly at a very minimal loss, if any).

Second, I am going to blast my mailbox, ha ha ha. It is overfull, but I haven't gotten around to deleting everything. I do plan to. (I don't like the big red X when PMs are deleted, but... that's the system, so....)

Okay.

Naka-ai.

Because we are pen nerds, we notice the slightest details, such as the negligible difference in weight between the Naka-ai and the Long Piccolo (which is available only through Aesthetic Bay in Singapore; I think it isn't available directly from Nakaya, but I could be wrong, but I don't think so). The former is ever so slightly lighter than the latter and therefore, for me, more comfortable. I mean, I LOVE the Long Piccolo, but I have to give the Naka-ai the edge over it for weight.

Having said that, the Desk Pen is amazingly balanced and comfortable, but it is a bit unwieldy for most people to carry around as an Every Day Carry pen. Shockingly, mine is out of rotation for the first time since I've had it, and that makes me slightly uncomfortable, but then I have three Nakayas in rotation, so I'm bearing the temporary absence of the Desk Pen in rotation. :-)

The Naka-ai combines my two favorite models: the Piccolo and the Desk Pen, and I wasn't sure I would like it as much as either -- until I saw it in person and used it. I like that the cap takes no more than two twists to screw off and on (unlike the about five of the Desk Pen).

BUT - I also LOVE the Piccolo. The size, the shape -- my unpolished shu has been inked ever since its arrival, and I can't imagine taking it out of rotation. I wonder if I'd gotten an unpolished shu Naka-ai if the Naka-ai would be my favoritest Nakaya. I don't know.

(Then there's the new finish, ao-tamenuri -- blue over black or black over blue. Someone ordered that finish, and I am EAGER! to see it. There are photos -- I'll have to poke around to find them -- but I want to see more photos.)

The sumiko finish is amazingly lovely to touch. Also, the matte black ("hairline") which is very, very similar to the sumiko but somehow just a hint more "rough." If I could get an unpolished shu in the matte finish? That could very well be my favorite. The unpolished shu looks like it should be matte, but it's shiny and lovely. A touch of that hairline finish to "rough it up" a little -- makes me feel faint just thinking about it. I might never put it down.

So, yes, I think that choosing which color or finish you want is about the hardest decision.

I prefer stiff F nibs, and I don't recall if the B nib I tried was firm or soft, but it was truly lovely. It turned my head. I almost ordered the Naka-ai with a B nib, but decided on the standard M instead. If you requested a very wet B nib, that might please you very much. I was impressed with it myself, but I knew I wouldn't write large enough -- I just prefer to write smaller. I don't mind seeing my handwriting in the larger size (I like it), but I like filling up pages with small writing. Then when I write a sentence or two with a larger nib or a different color, or both, it stands out like a pull-quote.

Lastly, my Naka-ai is the aka-tamenuri -- which is a lovely, dark, glossy red with the underlying lighter red that shows through as highlights. Sometimes, I just stare at my Nakayas, taken by their loveliness. There are many pens that write beautifully; somehow, it feels better writing with a beautiful pen that writes beautifully.

I hope that you will be happy with your Nakaya dream (come true).

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Hi,

Nakaya pens are quite nice, but with a broader nib, you might want to get a pen with an ink capacity larger than that of a Nakaya with a converter. A pen like the Aurora Optima would be quite nice. Nakaya pens are quite nice though. I have two of them.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I will second Geoduck's warning about purchasing an expensive pen so soon. Nakaya are very simple pens and can be a big disappointment for people. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement on FPN. Looking at pictures on nibs.com or Nakaya website are a powerful stimulus. The excitement is in the idea of acquiring the pen. There is the potential for a significant letdown when looking at a simple pen made of hard rubber, when you unbox the pen. I would suggest moving up to a less expensive pen first. You could try one of the nicer Pilots or a Platinum President. Some of the users on FPN describe the Platinum pens as having the same feel as Nakaya. Spending $200.00 on a pen would be a significant jump in pens for you. You may find that it is better to stick with your Pelikan pens.

Sometimes, I feel as if I am in the Nakaya Cult on FPN. I enjoy Nakaya immensely, but am very hesitant to recommend them to people now. Tastes are very individual, especially among pens. When you are spending over $600.00 on a pen, it is a substantial investment, especially without holding and using the pens. I know from personal experience when I suggested to my brother that he try a Nakaya pen. He had been happy using his Lamy Safari pens. He purchased a very nice new Nakaya for $800.00 dollars. The pen was more of a burden to him than a joy. He sold the pen but I felt bad. He was really underwhelmed with the pen. I can understand his viewpoint.

With all these warnings, I do own three Nakaya pens and love them. I use my pens several hours a day. My wife can not see the value in them. She thinks I'm crazy for spending the money on the pens. Most people, if you handed a Nakaya to them would have no idea that the pen cost so much money.

I have both the hairline and the Kuro Tami-Nuri. The hairline has a more silky feel to it than the tami-nuri. I like both finishes and would be hard pressed if I had to sell one and choose only one. The Kuro Tami-Nuri is more beautiful but the hairline has a better feel.

Dear Justin J, thank you so much for your valued inputs! I will think through all of this. but I don't think I could be very dissapointed as I started out loving the Sailor ProGears (in the pictures :embarrassed_smile: ) in the most plasticky versions just because they reminded me of my plasticky Pelikanos :) I ordered a blue Schaeffer 300 recently on eBay, just because that looked like a more beautiful version of my plasticky Pelikanos, so rubberfeel or look should be okay. I fell for the Naka-ai's mostly for the clipless design and the overall shape of the pen. I had almost never seen pictures of a clipless pen before, and that will be a major important point for me, that if I am to concider another pen instead of a Naka-ai, it would still have to be clipless. I could feel that yesterday looking through all kinds of pen pictures.

I am in a special point in my life where I lost my father last year to cancer and I desperately need a star to look at in the dark sky. I got some money after him that I quickly spent pursuing other dreams (in fear that if I waited I would end up loosing my grip in the grief and just one day waste it all on stupid things, I'm on disability for depression from before) and this means I am now at a point where I have everything else I used to want, the Naka-ai would have no competition, it wouldn't mean I had to sacrifice any other dreams. I have all the perfumes, the expensive camera gear, the mountain bike is in perfect shape etc. The one thing I was not able to buy was inspiration. And the one thing I know from every single time I have gotten a new pen is that "a new pen equals inspiration" I don't know if any of this make any sense.

My father was an artist who started teaching us the color wheel etc almost before we could walk ;D And he would have loved that Naka-ai (though I could never reveal the cost to him!) I didn't mean to come off as all mushy here in this post I just felt I needed at this point to admit that there are other more emotional and symbolic reasons for wanting that exact pen. I love the look of those rubber ranga pens on eBay, those greenyellow crazy ones too, I don't think I could go wrong with any finish, as long as the pen isn't ice cold to the touch :)

I am very grateful for your concern, and I will remember your brothers experience and really think this through, it was a very necessary and valuable warning at this point and I appreciate you caring enough for a stranger that you try to provide some grounding too, not letting me float off into the sky completely unsecured :)

He he, my boyfriend can't see the value in the pens either but then again he wants a crossbow that costs the same amount as a Naka-ai, so he just said Go for it! :D

Again thank you sooo much! : ):) :)

Edited by trax

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

Hi,

Nakaya pens are quite nice, but with a broader nib, you might want to get a pen with an ink capacity larger than that of a Nakaya with a converter. A pen like the Aurora Optima would be quite nice. Nakaya pens are quite nice though. I have two of them.

Dillon

Dillo thank you very much for that input, there's a thing that has me worried too. When I tried that Lamy Joy with 1.1 nib yesterday I wrote it dry very quickly, hmmm... Aurora pens are really beautiful too, in a different way. I will really take that ink capasity thing into account. Maybe I could go with a smaller nib, too. I have one Pelikano in EF nib that I use quite alot. I went through six or seven EF nibs before finding this one too, just like with the Pelikano M nib I love. :rolleyes: The EF nib is lovely to write with, I just write soo ugly with smaller nibs, grrrr... Hmmm, I'll have to think here :) Thank you! : ):) :)

Edited by trax

Oh my goodness, where to begin?! :-D

First, if I knew how much I would like Nakayas, I would not have bought many other pens that I eventually bought (many of which I either sold or gave away), so I admire that this is your strategy. Buy the pen you know you want (or you're quite sure -- as Justin (I think it was Justin) said, if you don't like the Nakaya, you will be able to sell it very quickly at a very minimal loss, if any).

Second, I am going to blast my mailbox, ha ha ha. It is overfull, but I haven't gotten around to deleting everything. I do plan to. (I don't like the big red X when PMs are deleted, but... that's the system, so....)

Okay.

Naka-ai.

Because we are pen nerds, we notice the slightest details, such as the negligible difference in weight between the Naka-ai and the Long Piccolo (which is available only through Aesthetic Bay in Singapore; I think it isn't available directly from Nakaya, but I could be wrong, but I don't think so). The former is ever so slightly lighter than the latter and therefore, for me, more comfortable. I mean, I LOVE the Long Piccolo, but I have to give the Naka-ai the edge over it for weight.

Having said that, the Desk Pen is amazingly balanced and comfortable, but it is a bit unwieldy for most people to carry around as an Every Day Carry pen. Shockingly, mine is out of rotation for the first time since I've had it, and that makes me slightly uncomfortable, but then I have three Nakayas in rotation, so I'm bearing the temporary absence of the Desk Pen in rotation. :-)

The Naka-ai combines my two favorite models: the Piccolo and the Desk Pen, and I wasn't sure I would like it as much as either -- until I saw it in person and used it. I like that the cap takes no more than two twists to screw off and on (unlike the about five of the Desk Pen).

BUT - I also LOVE the Piccolo. The size, the shape -- my unpolished shu has been inked ever since its arrival, and I can't imagine taking it out of rotation. I wonder if I'd gotten an unpolished shu Naka-ai if the Naka-ai would be my favoritest Nakaya. I don't know.

(Then there's the new finish, ao-tamenuri -- blue over black or black over blue. Someone ordered that finish, and I am EAGER! to see it. There are photos -- I'll have to poke around to find them -- but I want to see more photos.)

The sumiko finish is amazingly lovely to touch. Also, the matte black ("hairline") which is very, very similar to the sumiko but somehow just a hint more "rough." If I could get an unpolished shu in the matte finish? That could very well be my favorite. The unpolished shu looks like it should be matte, but it's shiny and lovely. A touch of that hairline finish to "rough it up" a little -- makes me feel faint just thinking about it. I might never put it down.

So, yes, I think that choosing which color or finish you want is about the hardest decision.

I prefer stiff F nibs, and I don't recall if the B nib I tried was firm or soft, but it was truly lovely. It turned my head. I almost ordered the Naka-ai with a B nib, but decided on the standard M instead. If you requested a very wet B nib, that might please you very much. I was impressed with it myself, but I knew I wouldn't write large enough -- I just prefer to write smaller. I don't mind seeing my handwriting in the larger size (I like it), but I like filling up pages with small writing. Then when I write a sentence or two with a larger nib or a different color, or both, it stands out like a pull-quote.

Lastly, my Naka-ai is the aka-tamenuri -- which is a lovely, dark, glossy red with the underlying lighter red that shows through as highlights. Sometimes, I just stare at my Nakayas, taken by their loveliness. There are many pens that write beautifully; somehow, it feels better writing with a beautiful pen that writes beautifully.

I hope that you will be happy with your Nakaya dream (come true).

There you are! I am honoured by your presence my Lady, I wanted so much to hear your thoughts on this :) Oh so many Nakaya thoughts, I will dive head on into your post :)

When collecting perfumes I started with the cheaper ones even though I always longed for the more pricy alternatives that had cleaner crisper and sadly more expensive ingredients. As time passed I fell more and more for the clean niche perfumes where there are no jarring edges, or if there is they are placed there for a reason. I can no longer tolerate on myself the cheaper headachy musk based mainstream scents and ended up giving away or even tossing probably at least fifty bottles. I have a few bottles now that are in rotation, one being a 220 dollar Amouage and I have never regret the purchase :) As there is nothing in it that's out of place, just like it seems with the clipless Nakaya's. There's nothing to add or subract, they're just perfectly clean, no jarring edges, nothing out of place. Really a little zen refuge in a pen, I mean I almost want to go out and start raking gravel when I look at them :D

I usually never carry pens with me (Don't know why! :mellow: ) so length or portability is not an issue. It's like indoors the pen rules, outdoors I only carry camera gear. The two passions are confined to each ones one realm ;D

Ao-tamenuri sounds beautiful! And I'm leaning more and more towards the unpolished shu here :) My boyfriend loved the sumiko, that is the only time he has had a preference for a pen, but it is conciderable more expensive than the shu version so I don't think I can concider that one. I must also take into account norwegian customs who will charge a 25 percent customs toll plus some other on the purchase sum :gaah:

I would have never thought the unpolished shu was shiny! There's what JustinJ said about surprises upon opening the box! That would have been a surprise :blink: :D

I write very large, and my handwriting looks terrible in my Pelikano EF nib.. I envy those of you who can write pretty and small at the same time!

The aka-tamenuri is really beautiful, a belated congrats on that amazing purchase!

Thank you soo much for your inputs, I will try to take into concideration both the love you all have for Nakaya's and at the same time the warnings/reservations people have had AND the question of ink capasity when preferring a wet broader nib and writing large, oh my.. I'll see what I come up with! :D

Best of wishes from Bella! :) :) :)

Oh and by the way if I could dream up a finish of my own it would be a Naka-ai in a darker richer version of the green Nanohana-iro colour unpolished with a mildew/mold like overlay of dark blue and turquoise (or shu red and tuquoise)... Kind of an industrial swamp feel, abandoned steam punk lab made Naka-ai :D :puddle:

Edited by trax

Don't shoot me, people, I have sent an email now to nibs.com asking about the unpolished unclipped shu Naka-ai and describing my "death grip" and also nib and ink preferences, asking where we should start in determining what if needed nib and ink adjustments I would need.

I think I have found a way to make this happen financially, I am not sure yet, but I have decided I want the pen and I'm going with the unpolished shu as I like that equally as much as the Nanohana-iro and they differ quite a bit in cost. :) :)

http://i.imgur.com/5H9Zizql.jpg

Edited by trax

You can have a Nakaya in almost any color you want, Traditional Japanese Colors. This chart contains the name and colors used in Japan. As I recall, Nakaya will try to make a pen in any of them. The amo-iro and nanohana-iro pens were originally special orders and people liked them, so were added to the regular inventory. Of course, you're back to the 3-6 month wait for them to make it.

Do you pay a lower import duty for used pens? Used Nakayas are often available at nibs.com unless someone buys them all up (and then shows them on FPN, Seven New Nakayas ). They are usually in good condition, but of course the selection is limited.

It sounds to me like you should order a stock naka-ai, with a B or BB nib, and then if you like that pen, order your dream pen in whatever color you decide on. Of course, we all want to know about it!

Where in Norway do you live. One of my cousins married a Norwegian and they lived in Oslo. I visited them in 1992 and traveled all over your beautiful country. I ate fish balls almost every day!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

You can have a Nakaya in almost any color you want, Traditional Japanese Colors. This chart contains the name and colors used in Japan. As I recall, Nakaya will try to make a pen in any of them. The amo-iro and nanohana-iro pens were originally special orders and people liked them, so were added to the regular inventory. Of course, you're back to the 3-6 month wait for them to make it.

Do you pay a lower import duty for used pens? Used Nakayas are often available at nibs.com unless someone buys them all up (and then shows them on FPN, Seven New Nakayas ). They are usually in good condition, but of course the selection is limited.

It sounds to me like you should order a stock naka-ai, with a B or BB nib, and then if you like that pen, order your dream pen in whatever color you decide on. Of course, we all want to know about it!

Where in Norway do you live. One of my cousins married a Norwegian and they lived in Oslo. I visited them in 1992 and traveled all over your beautiful country. I ate fish balls almost every day!

Hi Frank C! You had to encounter fish balls here, ha ha that is unavoidable :D I live in the far south, an at least five hour drive from Oslo, but I have several relatives there :)

Oh man that was alot of color options!

Beautiful Nakayas.. We pa 25 percent of the purchase price no matter if it is used or new. If a pen is shipped uninsured and a lower value is put on the customs info then I guess it might slip through, but I wouldn't dare to spend so much money and have it shipped uninsured and withput tracking. The only pen I feel can challenge the Nakayas in looks is for me the Pelikan M1005 clear demonstrator, but I see those only on eBay and would never dare. They are also more expensive than a unpolished shu Naka-ai.

Whatever I decide I'll let you guys know immediately, I would not be able to shut up! :bunny01:

Thank you so much for your input and especially your thoughts on nib sizes and type! and oh the color charts!! Danger danger :puddle: :)

I have an M1005 Demonstrator and some Nakayas. They are very different pens. The M1005 is BIG! about the upper limit of what I find comfortable and I am a big guy with big hands. I like the long springy nibs of the M1000 series Pelikans and of course demonstrators are great for displaying different colors of ink.

A Nakaya is handmade and is like writing with a piece of art. They are not very showy--with a few exceptions--and people rarely notice them. People always notice the M1005. If you are going to keep your collection small and exclusive, then save up and get an M1005 next. They are great pens and also less expensive in Europe.

Have a good time with fountain pens; they are useful and fun to use. Since you're a photographer, we expect lots of photos.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I have an M1005 Demonstrator and some Nakayas. They are very different pens. The M1005 is BIG! about the upper limit of what I find comfortable and I am a big guy with big hands. I like the long springy nibs of the M1000 series Pelikans and of course demonstrators are great for displaying different colors of ink.

A Nakaya is handmade and is like writing with a piece of art. They are not very showy--with a few exceptions--and people rarely notice them. People always notice the M1005. If you are going to keep your collection small and exclusive, then save up and get an M1005 next. They are great pens and also less expensive in Europe.

Have a good time with fountain pens; they are useful and fun to use. Since you're a photographer, we expect lots of photos.

Thank you, you have one!? :clap1: I have heard that the M1005's are big but I have no basis to imagine how big. You are the first I've spoken to here on the site who own one, or have mentioned it.:) I will have to wait till I know alot more about my preferences before I can know whether or not I would like the feel of one :)

He he, get both, that would be something, I would love to try to make that happen someday, if I get to try and find out I can thrive with a pen that big. But from eBay they seem abit more expensive than the unpolished shu I'm looking at.

After my small narrow Pelikano's trying on a fatter Lamy Al-Star actually felt very uncomfortable at first (but more uncomfortable was the fact the Lamy did not get thinner towards the ends, I need pens to be at least a little bit thinner towards the ends so they're not just a cylinder!) but now they are equally comfy grip wise.

I am curious to see how a Naka-ai will feel as they too seem barrel wide compared to my Pelikanos. Well I guess most pens are, as the Pelikanos are so small/thin. :)

I like the fact the Nakayas can be more low key. I have plenty of hands on wanna try everything people around me that I'd be very happy if could walk through my living room without being gravitated towards some blingy pen :D

Photos will come, as soon as I if I make this happen :) :) :)

Don't shoot me, people, I have sent an email now to nibs.com asking about the unpolished unclipped shu Naka-ai and describing my "death grip" and also nib and ink preferences, asking where we should start in determining what if needed nib and ink adjustments I would need.

If I may, as a non Nakaya owner not that I don't want, but I am now pretty sure it's not my type of pen. I almost pulled the trigger twice...), so if I may, I woul suggest that you do yourself a big present: get rid of your death grip. I did last summer because I did develop some elbow troubles, even with a pen I then considered perfect (Danitrio Densho). Since then, I adopt the tripod grip, and not only it is more comfortable, but it allows for using and enjoying more type of pens. It's only a matter of days since you get used to the grip, and it's a real improvment.

Enjoy your Nakaya - I am very jealous, the unpolished shu seems a great, great finish (I dream of an hairline finish, or a negora. Someday, who knows, in the Equilibirum/Balance model...

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

If I may, as a non Nakaya owner not that I don't want, but I am now pretty sure it's not my type of pen. I almost pulled the trigger twice...), so if I may, I woul suggest that you do yourself a big present: get rid of your death grip. I did last summer because I did develop some elbow troubles, even with a pen I then considered perfect (Danitrio Densho). Since then, I adopt the tripod grip, and not only it is more comfortable, but it allows for using and enjoying more type of pens. It's only a matter of days since you get used to the grip, and it's a real improvment.

Enjoy your Nakaya - I am very jealous, the unpolished shu seems a great, great finish (I dream of an hairline finish, or a negora. Someday, who knows, in the Equilibirum/Balance model...

Thank you Namo, I've been thinking the same thing about that grip.. I feel the grip itself is a rather light one, but I tried last night to write for longer and with a pen I wasn't used to and I started feeling tight in my wrist after a while, as the way I hold the pen it is almost only the wrist and the innermost groove between my thumb and my index finger that is used for steering, my fingers just hang there dead.. so something needs to be done. I will look into the matter and try to practice the tripod grip, and also you must not feel jealous yet, I may still screw this saving thing up badly :D Though I have as a back-up plan decided upon two of my more expensive perfumes to let go of if and when more funds are needed. They are kind of trophy perfumes more than everyday perfumes. The kind I rarely use but that are super cool to casually mention to another perfume collector that "oh yeah, I've got that.." :embarrassed_smile: It may be time to let them go :D

The hairline finish is amazing, but I don't think I could make that happen, with the added norwegian customs and all, all adds up :( My boyfriend loved the hairline finish as well. He had no opinion about the shu :mellow:

I hope a really great pen dream comes true for you very soon, and thank you again for your input. I am lazy when it comes to the thought of changing my grip but I understand more and more that there is alot to gain ;)

All the best from Bella! :) :) :)

Edit I see it's the sumiko, not the hairline, that differ so much in price from the unpolished shu.

Edited by trax

Thank you Namo, I've been thinking the same thing about that grip.. I feel the grip itself is a rather light one, but I tried last night to write for longer and with a pen I wasn't used to and I started feeling tight in my wrist after a while, as the way I hold the pen it is almost only the wrist and the innermost groove between my thumb and my index finger that is used for steering, my fingers just hang there dead.. so something needs to be done. I will look into the matter and try to practice the tripod grip, and also you must not feel jealous yet, I may still screw this saving thing up badly :D Though I have as a back-up plan decided upon two of my more expensive perfumes to let go of if and when more funds are needed. They are kind of trophy perfumes more than everyday perfumes. The kind I rarely use but that are super cool to casually mention to another perfume collector that "oh yeah, I've got that.." :embarrassed_smile: It may be time to let them go :D

The hairline finish is amazing, but I don't think I could make that happen, with the added norwegian customs and all, all adds up :( My boyfriend loved the hairline finish as well. He had no opinion about the shu :mellow:

I hope a really great pen dream comes true for you very soon, and thank you again for your input. I am lazy when it comes to the thought of changing my grip but I understand more and more that there is alot to gain ;)

All the best from Bella! :) :) :)

Edit I see it's the sumiko, not the hairline, that differ so much in price from the unpolished shu.

That thread was a huge help: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/201146-the-classic-tripod-grip/page__p__2056287__hl__%2B%2Btripod+%2B%2Bgrip__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=2056287

amonjak.com

Thank you! Oh my, that grip felt completely alien, it takes the whole thumb out of the equation it feels. I've been steering using my wrist and the innermost joint of my thumb and at the moment it feels unlikely to learn this, but I'll try! I'll have to practice in small doses as it was no fun writing in an alien grip :unsure: When I have lived with the death grip all my life, how important is it to change it, if I feel after a long time I am still banging my head against the wall? Isn't it more important to be happy while writing than doing it correctly, when I'm on disability and thus do not have a job that requires writing? I can always portion out the writing I do in my life, so that I never feel any cramps or uneasyness.

Edited by trax

That thread was a huge help: http://www.fountainp..._1#entry2056287

Thank you! Oh my, that grip felt completely alien, it takes the whole thumb out of the equation it feels. I've been steering using my wrist and the innermost joint of my thumb and at the moment it feels unlikely to learn this, but I'll try! I'll have to practice in small doses as it was no fun writing in an alien grip :unsure: When I have lived with the death grip all my life, how important is it to change it, if I feel after a long time I am still banging my head against the wall? Isn't it more important to be happy while writing than doing it correctly, when I'm on disability and thus do not have a job that requires writing? I can always portion out the writing I do in my life, so that I never feel any cramps or uneasyness.

Of course, the only thing that matters is to enjoy your writing - and the pne yu use to do so. I mentioned this because I spend a h*** of time (and money) looking for THE pen, as I do a lot of writing, and the result was I was able to use just this pen, and with a physical price as I had to admit last summer. Now I still have favorite pens (Waterman Man 100 - my god, what a pen!!; Bexley Corona...), but I am able to use different ones and still find them pretty comfortable. And to my big joy, I was able to use my Lamy 2000 again as a long session writer (I have five of these now, so you can say I am obsessed). Also, my elbow (or wrist or fingers) doesn't ach me anymore. The grip felt alien at first, but after only three days of wrting and note taking, the trick was a habit. I still uses sometimes my old death grip, but this one fells more and more alien. The other thing is taht a death grip will lead you to press harder on the nib of your pen. The tripod grip really do justice to good nibs, as you will not be able to apply a lot of pressure (unless if you put your forefinger up).

So, I don't feel there is a "correct" or a wrong way to hold your pen. I just found that one was more painful for me and that it was indeed an obstacle to use some of pens I loved. Last thing: I have two Pelikanos - great pens! - and you will note that the grip section is designed so you can use it with the pripod gripp. This is also true of the Lamy Safari.

Enjoy!

amonjak.com

Of course, the only thing that matters is to enjoy your writing - and the pne yu use to do so. I mentioned this because I spend a h*** of time (and money) looking for THE pen, as I do a lot of writing, and the result was I was able to use just this pen, and with a physical price as I had to admit last summer. Now I still have favorite pens (Waterman Man 100 - my god, what a pen!!; Bexley Corona...), but I am able to use different ones and still find them pretty comfortable. And to my big joy, I was able to use my Lamy 2000 again as a long session writer (I have five of these now, so you can say I am obsessed). Also, my elbow (or wrist or fingers) doesn't ach me anymore. The grip felt alien at first, but after only three days of wrting and note taking, the trick was a habit. I still uses sometimes my old death grip, but this one fells more and more alien. The other thing is taht a death grip will lead you to press harder on the nib of your pen. The tripod grip really do justice to good nibs, as you will not be able to apply a lot of pressure (unless if you put your forefinger up).

So, I don't feel there is a "correct" or a wrong way to hold your pen. I just found that one was more painful for me and that it was indeed an obstacle to use some of pens I loved. Last thing: I have two Pelikanos - great pens! - and you will note that the grip section is designed so you can use it with the pripod gripp. This is also true of the Lamy Safari.

Enjoy!

Thank you Namo, then I will persevere with trying to learn the new grip :) You are correct that even if I feel my grip is light, I do see that it adds to downward pressure, more than I wish it did..

I tried the tripod way of writing with all the pens lying around here at the moment, and it was actually alot easier with a Lamy 1.1 nib, I wonder why that is! It was increasingly different the smaller nib sizes I tried. Pelikano EF nib just making me wanna shout out loud! :bonk: I've been thinking about choosing a BB nib for my Naka-ai, no matter how much extra stress it will be refilling ink :D so maybe in time I'll get the grip.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and I am happy to hear you have found more freedom in the new grip and in that way more comfort with a wider range of pens. You have some great pens! :clap1: And great fun that you had two Pelikanos in that mix as well, I am sooo pleased! I will always love the Pelikano's whatever happens next :) :) I hadn't noticed the way the grip section was shaped for the tripod grip, can you believe that, after all these years you show me something on my Pelikanos that I haven't really looked at! I must be blind :blush:

Thank you for all your feedback, it has been very valuable to me! And I need a kick in the behind when it comes to that grip training, that is for sure :D

All the best from Bella, here it is time for a shower and then bed :)

Regarding your grip, there is something to consider: changing the angle of the pen with respect to the plane of the paper also changes the contact surface of the nib. With some nibs, this may not matter too much. But other nibs become scratchy or start skipping when the pen angle is changed. You could ask the Mottishaws to make sure the nib has a ball tip that isn't so picky about pen angle. I don't have a Nakaya, so I don't know if their nibs are like that. However, the one Platinum nib I have (and I think Nakaya nibs are sourced from Platinum) is nice and smooth over a wide range of angles.

Another thought: you might consider a slightly modified way of holding your pen that is like the standard way of holding a brush for Japanese or Chinese brush painting. It's similar to the way you're supposed to hold chopsticks. I think it's pretty close to the way you now hold the pen, but gives a little more control to the fingers.

Edited by Dr.Grace

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776