Stub O' The Day

dcpritch

In the old Waterman catalogs they list a Special Broad Stub and an Extra Broad Stub; one costs $0.50 more than a standard nib and the other $1.00 more but I don't remember which-is-which. I've never read a description of these nibs or seen one, until maybe now.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heres my Homo Sapiens Bronze with a 1.3 stub .. worked by Mike at Work :notworthy1:

http://www.fountainpenday.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ViscontiHS.png

Video review for those interested.

Very nice! Now I've got to practice, practice, and practice more on my penmanship. Surely being put to shame here in comparison to yours and many others here on FPN.

Thanks for sharing the YouTube!

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Homo Sapiens Bronze with a 1.3 stub .. worked by Mike at Work

Video review for those interested.

Great pen and nib, and super video review. I've not seen your review before now, but very well done. :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Parker 51 Vacumatic

A couple of years ago I learned of Ralph Prather's amazing work on P51s. He makes completely customized pens, and one day I'd like to get one of his creations, but so far I only have a cap done by him - hand hammered into a work of art. The nib on this pen is a huge original stub nib, not modified by Greg Minuskin or some other nib master who may do such work. I described it in the writing as a BBB nib, but that is just the way I think of it and not any official designation. I located the nib a few years ago from an extremely reputable seller and have enjoyed using it in this pen. The nib is so wide and its sweet spot so narrow that, due to the hooded design of the P51, one has to become accustomed to writing with it, as it tends to get off kilter. However, once it is on the level it is so butter smooth you would never want to use another nib. Enough talk, here are the photos:

fpn_1361570088__parker_51_vac_bbb_nib_732x1024.jpg

fpn_1361570600__parker_51_vac_bbb_nib_4_1024x724.jpg

fpn_1361570622__parker_51_vac_bbb_nib_1_601x1024.jpg

fpn_1361570658__parker_51_vac_bbb_nib_5_1024x639.jpg

fpn_1361570679__parker_51_vac_bbb_nib_2_446x1024.jpgfpn_1361570702__parker_51_vac_bbb_nib_3_767x1024.jpg

By the way, the Carter's Midnight Blue ink I used in the writing sample is the likely same vintage as the pen, or at most within a year or two, based on label and ink advertisements from that era. The color is stunning, especially as most vintage blue ink I've used is somewhat faded. Not this stuff. And it glides on like butter. Wonderful stuff - I blame FPN's ToasterPastry for getting me into the vintage ink world, and I'm pretty happy about it.

— Samuel Johnson

Thanks, though I'm still trying to console myself about missing the recent LA Pen Show. One particular image in AltecGreen's photo stream, with a certain SF gal who seems to be flagrantly waving around a beautiful new Stylo Art pen - as if to say, these can only be had from one place in the world, and that's where I am - this has been especially difficult to remove from my mind. :lol:

— Samuel Johnson

a certain SF gal who seems to be flagrantly waving around a beautiful new Stylo Art pen - as if to say, these can only be had from one place in the world, and that's where I am - this has been especially difficult to remove from my mind. :lol:

There's always the 26th annual LA Pen Show!

Or... maybe Stylo Art will come to San Francisco. I don't know why I'm saying that; maybe out of wishful thinking. Or maybe they'll be at the DC Super Show.

You'll get yours, Mr. David. You'll get yours one of these days. (Ha ha ha, sounds like a threat, but it isn't.) :-D

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

... You'll get yours, Mr. David. You'll get yours one of these days.

Wow, I woke up this morning with these words ringing through my head,

and the voice was the same one heard in

. What a nightmare!

:roflmho:

— Samuel Johnson

CONID Fountainbel FPR Bulkfiller Demonstrator

I inked this pen two and a half weeks ago, used it once to write some notes, then misplaced it until I located it this morning in luggage from a recent trip (boy was I glad to find it!!!). The reason I mention this is because the pen had sat unused for more than two weeks, been across the country and back (airplanes, taxis, trains, etc.), and there wasn't a single drop of ink inside the the clear cap, not one. What's more, the pen started immediately, as if I had used it two minutes ago.

Much has been said here on FPN about the marvels of this pen - its engineering, precision workmanship, materials, etc. If you ever get a chance to lay your hands on one my recommendation would be to grab it fast, you won't be sorry.

The Titanium nib is a Medium which I asked Francis Goosens to grind into a smooth stub (he didn't have a B nib available, or I'd have taken that - in hindsight, I'm really glad for the M stub nib). He did a fantastic job creating a smooth, wet nib with more than a little flex (by nature of the material), and incredible line variation. I like using this pen and always take it on travels because it holds enough ink to last a really, really long time.

fpn_1361983050__conid_fountainbel_fpr_bulkfiller_1_763x1024.jpg

fpn_1361983082__conid_fountainbel_fpr_bulkfiller_2_848x1024.jpg

In addition to the nib, the cap plug, filling knob, barrel thread clutch and clip are all made from titanium. The white and black logo on the cap top refers to the spirit of the beautiful Paul McCartney / Stevie Wonder song "Ebony and Ivory".

fpn_1361983276__conid_fountainbel_fpr_bulkfiller_1024x769.jpg

— Samuel Johnson

Well, my original intention was to post pens to this thread on a daily basis, but that didn't really last very long. I apologize for the long delays between new posts. Here is one that is a bit more on the humble side of things, and yet a very nice pen for a daily user:

Sheaffer Balance, Feathertouch Stub Nib

The main thrust of this thread is to focus on nibs, and this is a pen that is really just about the nib. That is, the pen itself isn't very flashy and so there isn't much to focus on other than the nib. This Balance is a non-Lifetime model with "500" imprinted on the side of the barrel underneath the Sheaffer imprint. It has a military clip which I like because it hides the pen deep in one's pocket - no ostentatious display here!

The nib on this pen is marked up a bit and had a small part of one tine broken off. Danny Fudge said he could either replace the nib or else make this one into a nice stub, albeit without any iridium, so I decided to salvage as much as possible and turn it into a stub (as you might guess, that really wasn't a difficult call for me to make). Danny did a very nice job and this nib provides line variation and a smooth flow of ink. The ink window is very clear and is a help in seeing when more ink will be needed, which is quite soon if you look at the last picture.

fpn_1362438337__sheaffer_balance_feathertouch_stub_828x1024.jpg

fpn_1362438365__sheaffer_balance_feathertouch_stub_1_1024x816.jpg

fpn_1362438386__sheaffer_balance_feathertouch_stub_2_1024x885.jpg

Edited by dcpritch

— Samuel Johnson

Leod, that is a gorgeous nib on a pen I have always hoped to have. Great photo, too!

What do you mean by Stub "for now"?

— Samuel Johnson

Stipula Isola Lipari

The Writing Equipment Society 2003 Limited Edition

This pen is fashioned after the Nettuno Superba that Stipula made in 1996 for Italy's Vecchetti Pen Shop. Stipula's Superba was made in homage to the fabled vintage Nettuna Superba from the 1930s. In 2003 the W.E.S. commissioned Stipula to make a limited edition of 40, done in Tibaldi's Havana Blue celluloid. I have never seen a vintage Nettuno Superba but have read that this modern version by Stipula is in keeping with the style of that pen. I was lucky enough to find this one last year - they don't often come up for sale.

This pen is a piston filler with vermeil furniture, measures 137mm capped, 126mm uncapped, and has quite a heft (no scale on hand, sorry). The nib is a sweet 1.1mm stub nib which was tuned by UK's John Sorowka (Oxonian here on FPN). It writes a very consistent, wet line and the 18k nib provides a little spring, which is fun to use.

fpn_1362523633__stipula_isola_lipari_786x1024.jpg

fpn_1362523660__stipula_isola_lipari_1_1024x593.jpg

fpn_1362523679__stipula_isola_lipari_2_1024x505.jpg

fpn_1362523707__stipula_isola_lipari_4_820x1024.jpg

fpn_1362523736__stipula_isola_lipari_3_1024x809.jpg

Here is an informative thread on another forum which provides some interesting info about vintage and modern Nettuno pens, in case you were wondering.

— Samuel Johnson

Leod, that is a gorgeous nib on a pen I have always hoped to have. Great photo, too!

I am planning to grind it into Right Oblique Stub, unless I find a factory Right oblique (maybe an Optima?)

you have some plenty of nice stubs BTW

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

This thread is so impressive! So many beautiful stubs. Mine is very modest, by comparison, a Bexley Corona with a custom stub by Richard Binder, smooth, good flow, but such a nail.

While I really appreciate the work Mr. Binder did, I think this nib could be used as a weapon, it's so rigid. I think I should have saved up for a gold nib.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/IMG_6508_zpsbcf2b4a5.jpg

Edited by akustyk

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I only have two stubs. I know, I know, this is a problem. Working on fixing it. :D

Here's one of them.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/2DD6F47E-397F-4EFF-BFCF-DB6466C539E9-36621-0000061133307E94.jpg

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

I only have two stubs. I know, I know, this is a problem. Working on fixing it. :D

Here's one of them.

With a vintage flexible stub, I guess you're going for quality instead of quantity.

I am planning to grind it into Right Oblique Stub, unless I find a factory Right oblique (maybe an Optima?)

you have some plenty of nice stubs BTW

Thanks, I'd like to see a picture of the right oblique when you get it done. Those are fairly uncommon and I bet almost unheard of on a Burkina.

— Samuel Johnson