Stub O' The Day

dcpritch

@dneal

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware that O nibs need to be held at an angle, and the page you link to indicates that they do show line variation, hence my question.

If the only difference between the two is that a pen with an O nib must be held at an angle, I personally don't see any practical difference between them, though I feel there must be, otherwise why would we have them? :unsure:

BMG...it's my understanding that oblique nibs were created to correct for rotation of the pen that some writers do as they begin to write. For example, if you want to use an italic nib but you rotate when you start to put pen to paper, you'll miss the sweet spot. Those folks who know they rotate will buy an oblique italic to correct for this. Doesn't only apply to italics...any F,M or B nib ground the normal way will be scratchy to pen rotaters. Those folks will compensate by choosing an OF, OM or OB nib.

On the other hand, I guess they could just learn not to rotate.

Right handed rotaters use left oblique nibs to correct and left handed rotaters use right oblique, often called reverse oblique nibs. The oblique part of the grind has nothing to do with how the writing looks. It's only use is to correct a problem.

Hope this helps.

If I'm not explaining this correctly I'd appreciate being set right.

Edited to add: John Mottishaw at nibs.com (under customization of nibs) gives an entirely different explanation and discusses the effect of the oblique grind on writing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I´ll post here too, although this one is closer to a CI than a stub.

I´ve only had it for a week and a half, and I´m still having a hard time adjusting to the crisp feeling of this one.

I am beginning to think I´ll have to send it back to PB to get it smoothed a bit.

I had hoped it would be smooth enough for notetaking at Work, and everyday use, but it really demands precision and a more meticulous writing style than I can muster.

Great pen, though.

Beautifully crafted and really nice materials. It has been following me to work every day since I got it - with different inks to find the perfect combination. I purchased a bottle of GvFC Hazelnut specifically for this pen, but that just doesn´t Work. The nib is way too dry to get a satisfying result with this partiular ink, so right after the pigtures were taken, I changed the ink to Roher & Klingner Sepia, which Works just fine.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q485/Occipital_Lobe/Pens/Inked/IMAG1040_zpseopnrofw.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q485/Occipital_Lobe/Pens/Inked/IMAG1039_zpsclt3mzqe.jpg

Just love this pen. The only issue I have is it sometimes needs a gentle nudge to get started, but once it's going, it's a champ. And I love how he took a common steel nib and with a torch and other tools of destruction, created a gorgeous, rough, colorful nib that goes perfectly with the Micarta material.

fpn_1432738086__browned_butter_stub.jpg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

@Occipital Lobe – that is a beautiful pen + nib! Heretical though it may seem in this thread, I think I prefer CIs to stubs; I just like the crisper line they give. I really like your pen / ink combination, and have been having a bit of a love affair with sepia inks myself of late.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

That´s what I thought, but you should see the line variation on Rhodia paper. The horizontal lines are literally razor-Sharp.

Now that the pen has been inked for a couple of hours, the behaviour is exactly the same with R&K Sepia.

This nib just doesn´t like smooth paper. I can´t figure out why it is more forgiving on standard copypaper??

Well, FWIW, the written lines you provided are beautiful. If that's how it writes, razor sharp or not, it looks mighty nice.

Well, FWIW, the written lines you provided are beautiful. If that's how it writes, razor sharp or not, it looks mighty nice.

Absolutely - It´s probably just me being picky because it behaves so differently on coarse and smooth paper.

Furthermore - my only experience with stubs are a Lamy Al-Star 1.1 and a Sorowka stubbed M800.

The Lamy is actually pretty close to this one, whereas the Pelikan is exceptionally smooth, but lacks the crisp variation.

Just love this pen. The only issue I have is it sometimes needs a gentle nudge to get started, but once it's going, it's a champ. And I love how he took a common steel nib and with a torch and other tools of destruction, created a gorgeous, rough, colorful nib that goes perfectly with the Micarta material.

That´s a great looking and writing nib.

It really looks good with the burnished nib on the Micarta. My only gripe with my own is that the brass/gold nib looks out of place.

Great ink-pairing too.

I have only one stub myself, which I really like, but the crisper line of the CI nibs work better for my small writing.

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

This is without a doubt the most succinct comment I've ever read here on the forum.

:P

Here are a couple of pics of one of my two CIs to date:

http://i.imgur.com/I47cZex.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XiHg7A5.jpg

This one was reground from an Omas EF by Yukio Nagahara.

That's a great looking pen - so much to like about the material, the section, the nib - and great writing, too!

I have a Micarta with a PB stub and it is a regular companion on canoe trips, hunting and fishing expeditions, and anything that requires a durable pen. Plus Pendleton's stubs are fantastic.Really like the ink you've used with it.

... Heretical though it may seem in this thread, I think I prefer CIs to stubs; I just like the crisper line they give. ...

No heresy, none whatsoever. Most of my stub nibs are on the smoother side, but quite a few lean towards CI and a couple are outright CI - I only use those when I have the time to patiently and carefully craft my letters, otherwise my quick writing prefers the more foregiving stubs.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

@BMG:

Beautiful pen. I really like that color.

I see what you mean by "small handwriting" :)

Thanks David.

Renée really knows what she´s doing.

Edited by Occipital Lobe

http://i.imgur.com/XiHg7A5.jpg

This one was reground from an Omas EF by Yukio Nagahara.

That OMAS Burkina is one of my all time favorites of the brand, second only to the Arlecchino, neither of which I have ever owned. The CI nibs you have had ground are soooo tiny, starting from and EF and grounding from there. I've never tried one so narrow but I can see from your writing that it suits you perfectly. Are they smooth on most papers? Catch on textured paper?

— Samuel Johnson

Here's what I've been using for the last week or so:

CONID Minimalistica+ Bulkfiller with retrofitted Bexley 18k Stub nib

I received in April one of the first production runs of Conid's new Minimalistica bulkfiller, based on Francis Goossen's patented filling system. The pen is wonderful to use - its actually the first pen in many years that has made me question why I have so many other pens. Don't worry, I resolved that dilemma in favor of keeping everything, but I will say the Minimalistica is the only pen I've carried in my pocket the past 45 days. The original steel M nib was ultra smooth and a joy to use, but it didn't have any line variation (i.e., character), and I got the idea to replace the steel nib with one of my stubs. The easiest stub I have to remove is on a Bexley Poseidon Magnum, which also happens to be a favorite of mine. It fit perfectly into the nib sleeve and works just fine with the feed, no adjustments needed. Here's what it looks like:

fpn_1432228501__conid_minimalistica_bexl

fpn_1432228526__conid_minimalistica_bexl

fpn_1432228550__conid_minimalistica_bexl

fpn_1432228565__conid_minimalistica_bexl

I got carried away with the Minimalistica and did a mini-review in a different thread, here, if you're interested.

— Samuel Johnson

Here's what I've been using for the last week or so:

CONID Minimalistica+ Bulkfiller with retrofitted Bexley 18k Stub nib

I received in April one of the first production runs of Conid's new Minimalistica bulkfiller, based on Francis Goossen's patented filling system. The pen is wonderful to use - its actually the first pen in many years that has made me question why I have so many other pens. Don't worry, I resolved that dilemma in favor of keeping everything, but I will say the Minimalistica is the only pen I've carried in my pocket the past 45 days. The original steel M nib was ultra smooth and a joy to use, but it didn't have any line variation (i.e., character), and I got the idea to replace the steel nib with one of my stubs. The easiest stub I have to remove is on a Bexley Poseidon Magnum, which also happens to be a favorite of mine. It fit perfectly into the nib sleeve and works just fine with the feed, no adjustments needed. Here's what it looks like:

fpn_1432228501__conid_minimalistica_bexl

fpn_1432228526__conid_minimalistica_bexl

fpn_1432228550__conid_minimalistica_bexl

fpn_1432228565__conid_minimalistica_bexl

I got carried away with the Minimalistica and did a mini-review in a different thread, here, if you're interested.

Yep - already read that one :)

That OMAS Burkina is one of my all time favorites of the brand, second only to the Arlecchino, neither of which I have ever owned. The CI nibs you have had ground are soooo tiny, starting from and EF and grounding from there. I've never tried one so narrow but I can see from your writing that it suits you perfectly. Are they smooth on most papers? Catch on textured paper?

I have always been taken with the Burkina celluloid as well. I missed out on this pen when it came out, but stumbled across one at the last L.A. pen show and snapped it up. I also really like the Arlecchino as well (BTW, nibs.com currently has one of the 2002 LE...).

As for the tiny regrind, I got the idea from a (former?) forum member, as I mentioned up-thread. Both of my CI pens are wet writers, and so write smoothly, though with a really wet ink (like the Maruzen Athena Sepia I currently have in the Omas), I get some feathering. I think it's from the sharp edges of the nib catching on the paper (which isn't felt when writing), but am really not sure. I don't have the problem with a drier ink, like Diamine Macassar in the pics above.

I know that, compared to many of the relatively broad stubs in this thread, these nibs show little contrast. Compared to my usual EFs and EEFs however, they are strikingly different.