How Small A Nib Should I Go?

stevesurf

great choice.... I think the next toy I buy could easily be a 800 Tortoise as soon as they are in and let him modify the nib. I used to be hot on 100 vintage and LE's but it was just a passing thing, I grew out of. I have to say though of all the 100's the tortoise is the one that would be a must, sort of like the MB 139 in the sense of the "the one" thing. And the nice thing, with a modern is that you don't have to worry about some of the maintenance issues you would with the vintage and oh, its about what 2500 lighter on the pocketbook.

Anyway, enjoy, I'm sure you'll love the new toys.....

Thanks very much Mike; this will be the first pens I've ordered from a company offering setup, so it will undoubtedly be a very interesting experience!

great choice.... I think the next toy I buy could easily be a 800 Tortoise as soon as they are in and let him modify the nib. I used to be hot on 100 vintage and LE's but it was just a passing thing, I grew out of. I have to say though of all the 100's the tortoise is the one that would be a must, sort of like the MB 139 in the sense of the "the one" thing. And the nice thing, with a modern is that you don't have to worry about some of the maintenance issues you would with the vintage and oh, its about what 2500 lighter on the pocketbook.

Anyway, enjoy, I'm sure you'll love the new toys.....

I agree with you completely. An M800 Brown Tortoise is on the wish list. What nib and modification are you planning on? I showed Steve my M101N Tortoise and Lizard; he really liked the tortoise, the lizard, not so much. (I tell my pens that I like them all equally; I don't want any dissension in the ranks.) I don't have a 139, but someday. . . .

The Lizard is actually such a beautiful pen; it's just that I personally prefer the Tortoise and Toledo so much. At Fahrney's there were several people doting over Mr Lizard, waiting their turn to touch and feel :)

You'll just have to reserve some special ink to keep Mr Lizard happy and maintain your ink policy :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• stevesurf

• sarahfar

• amberleadavis

Actually the lizard got R&K Verdigris, based on this post. I do like R&K inks, they don't make their own pens, but a German ink in a German pen is acceptable. Rules are meant to be broken!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

As to how to modify the nib I really don't know on the new 800 Tortoise. I have had John do a lot of CI, stubs etc. I'm really pleased with the flex CI/Loblique like his daily user he just did for me, of course he can't really do that with the 800. Probably and Italic or stub. Might even do a fine Italic as just something different.

Montblanc 139 is a lust. I of course am long on those. I also dabble in watches 3 X Panerai, IWCBP and Rolex so I understand the endless search. And I never quit looking for 149's, damn a guy has to have more than just 4 and I have been keeping my out for a vintage 149 with some flex for a while too. It never ends, get up to 100 pens sell o trade them off, keep a core and start all over. Kind of fun. If I had it all to do over again though, in Montblanc I would start and build around a vintage 139 and a vintage 149. Now in Omas, I would say I am pretty much where I want to be with all my Paragons.

Best, guys

Mike

I had John make my Tortoise BB a full-width CI, about 0.9mm. The Lizard only went up to B, so the full-width CI is about 0.7mm. As for an M800 brown tortoise, I haven't decided yet. Maybe a 0.5mm CI like HDoug uses, if only my italic handwriting were half as nice as his. I have a few Rolices as well and an IWC Fleiger Chronograph. Never got a Panerai, but I do like them. One of these days a Patek Phillippe, but the prices just keep going up and up. Who says inflation is under control? While I have several 149s and only one 146, I prefer writing with the 146. I guess I need to concentrate on 146s. I wish I had picked up a Burgundy one when they were available. I do like Omas, but I rarely use them. It has been primarily Japanese pens for several years now, but my Aurora 88s get a fair amount of use, too.

Steve said his new pens are at his house, but he isn't, too bad for him.

Best of Luck,

Frank

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Wish I dressed up more because Pateks are just incredible pieces.....

Here's a couple of my panerai....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/mikefarha/IMG_0171.jpg

Very Nice. There is a Panerai boutique at the Forum Shops. I like to go check them out. Have to say, though, I'll keep my Deep Sea for now. But a Patek. . . .

Wish I dressed up more because Pateks are just incredible pieces.....

Here's a couple of my panerai....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/mikefarha/IMG_0171.jpg

Wonderful; especially the one on the left with the crown guard and olive green band!

As for dressing up, just do it :)

We were just talking about wearing ascots at a trade show we're doing in April in las Vegas :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

You guys make me laugh....

I have a friend who is a jeweler and then another who is a watchmaker. The jeweler has always told me the patek has the best movement in the world. I've seen some o the thin Patek's exposed and the movement is utterly incredible. I love my BP too and I would part with my President's Rolex, had it for 27 of my 57 near years.... I really like AP and A Lange. But I only have two wrists so there's always a limit.

Yep I know about that. You have one of my dear friends Pam who is in LV too, actually near it

Best

oh and that strap is a french ammo, I have 4 of them and straps are another collection. From that maker who I know I have 13 I think. I change like my daughter did Barbie Clothes on dolls.....

While there is no doubt that the Patek Phillippe movement is well-designed and beautifully executed, you simply can't beat a Rolex for a wear-every-day-go-swimming-work-on-the-car-go-out-for-dinner-watch. The only problem is that they are soooo recognizable. If you showed a Patek and a Rolex to the average guy on the street in Las Vegas, he would take the Rolex every time. (Actually, the average guy would take them both.)

We were just talking about wearing ascots at a trade show we're doing in April in las Vegas :)

I don't know if I am willing to go to Arturo Fuente with you if you are wearing an ascot. I do have a reputation to uphold. If that photo got out on Facebook--and you know that everyone will be taking photos of you--I would have to find another line of work. Now, I used to wear a bow-tie from time to time, but that's different . . . .

I don't know if I am willing to go to Arturo Fuente with you if you are wearing an ascot. I do have a reputation to uphold. If that photo got out on Facebook--and you know that everyone will be taking photos of you--I would have to find another line of work. Now, I used to wear a bow-tie from time to time, but that's different . . . .

a ha! The truth comes out. Just remember that Hugh Hefner wore an ascot and a smoking jacket. Just think of it as a cultural revival!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

what a line of thought, I am speechless. Hmmm, all the bunnies, all that money, all the .... or a life of service.....

You guys make me laugh. I will be 57 next week, and I grew up with playboy,,,,, we'll leave it at that. Wow this all evokes memories.

Of course my wife will tell you I never grew up. She might be right.

Best

Bow-ties are cool. (I thought stevesurf would have said that first)

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Bow-ties are cool. (I thought stevesurf would have said that first)

Absolutely! Ironic as I was able to get a few really great ones on closeout. There's a few of us, however, that are going to do an ascot/shirt/jacket theme at a trade show, so we're having some fun with that style "revival."

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I seem to recall--from a TV interview, I'm sure--that Hugh Hefner usually spent the day in his silk pajamas and robe. Is that going to be your attire for the next trade show? (I can't believe this formerly-serious topic has degenerated into this.)

Just make sure your robe and pajamas have a pocket to hold your new Nakaya.

I seem to recall--from a TV interview, I'm sure--that Hugh Hefner usually spent the day in his silk pajamas and robe. Is that going to be your attire for the next trade show? (I can't believe this formerly-serious topic has degenerated into this.)

Just make sure your robe and pajamas have a pocket to hold your new Nakaya.

LOL never, we're talking more Thurston Howell III; here's a shot of my friend Patrik and his lovely wife Jenna:

430954_10101051983523472_751341496_n-1.jpg

Getting back to the OT, I've finally come home and these pens are so beautiful that I am giving them a little display time in the cabinet of joy before deciding thoughtfully how to ink them. Frank, I might even adopt your method, so I'll have to choose between a Pelikan Edelstein color for the Tortie and an Iro for the Nakaya; suggestions always welcome!

PS: the XXF nib doesn't look too small (I'll post pictures after the ink decisions are made) :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Congrats sounds about right in terms of inks, you have to post the results now to the lost topic, so... if thats Thuston and Lovie, who does that make you.... the professor or Gilligan? Now we are starting to show our age. Congrats again on the pens excellent pens indeed....

Steve, I thought that was you in the photo, the one with the shawl, until I put my glasses on.

I would say that you want an ink that is not too viscous for the Nakaya. Iroshizuku is a good choice. Yu-yake, if you want to stay on the orange theme. For more conservative use, you can't beat the new ones, take-sumi and shin-kai. Black and blue-black respectively.

I just got my green M1000 back from Chartpak today. I filled it up with Edelstein Aventurine. My hand are now covered with a nice medium-dark green. The pen is a fire hose. My first line of writing on a Rhodia pad was still wet 10 lines later. Glad I'm not a lefty.

For the Pelikan, I would say Aventurine or Pelikan Brown. I have Diamine Ancient Copper in mine and I do like it. European ink in a European pen is acceptable. I don't have too many British pens.

For our next Las Vegas Pen Posse, we should invite your friend Mike. He sounds like he would fit right in, provided he can handle cigars and adult beverages. Let me know.

By the way, Dawn Wells, who played MaryAnn was from Reno. Her family owns a BIG Nevada Construction company called Wells Cargo. I've met several of her relatives. The wife of one told everyone that a TV star was coming to her wedding. Those, of a certain age, all "knew" MaryAnn, and she charmed them all!

Congrats sounds about right in terms of inks, you have to post the results now to the lost topic, so... if thats Thuston and Lovie, who does that make you.... the professor or Gilligan? Now we are starting to show our age. Congrats again on the pens excellent pens indeed....

Thx Mike! Perhaps the professor or skipper? Gilligan had too big a head.

Steve, I thought that was you in the photo, the one with the shawl, until I put my glasses on.

LOL I should only be so lucky; she's a lot funnier than me and always has a bodyguard with her.

I would say that you want an ink that is not too viscous for the Nakaya. Iroshizuku is a good choice. Yu-yake, if you want to stay on the orange theme. For more conservative use, you can't beat the new ones, take-sumi and shin-kai. Black and blue-black respectively.

はい

Hai - Shin-Kai it is as I think I'll need special glasses to see XXF nibbed Yu-Yake printing and drawing!

I just got my green M1000 back from Chartpak today. I filled it up with Edelstein Aventurine. My hand are now covered with a nice medium-dark green. The pen is a fire hose. My first line of writing on a Rhodia pad was still wet 10 lines later. Glad I'm not a lefty.

For the Pelikan, I would say Aventurine or Pelikan Brown. I have Diamine Ancient Copper in mine and I do like it. European ink in a European pen is acceptable. I don't have too many British pens.

Great; another adventure for Aventurine

For our next Las Vegas Pen Posse, we should invite your friend Mike. He sounds like he would fit right in, provided he can handle cigars and adult beverages. Let me know.

Of course! But, Mike's in IL; we'll have to visit him :)

By the way, Dawn Wells, who played MaryAnn was from Reno. Her family owns a BIG Nevada Construction company called Wells Cargo. I've met several of her relatives. The wife of one told everyone that a TV star was coming to her wedding. Those, of a certain age, all "knew" MaryAnn, and she charmed them all!

Now that is cool; she was my favorite and my answer the the eternal question "Ginger or Mary Ann?" I could see that; Wells was a good company to work with. I did a project in Reno.

You know, there's something to be said for being on an extended expedition. If you've got good traveling companions or animals or both, it might not be half bad, unless the people chasing you are having you for dinner. Just think of all the opportunities to send messages via bottles.

I was in four hotels last week, and I couldn't get anything out of one property's departments when I used the phone. Contrast that with housekeeping who I wrote notes to and got virtually anything I wanted (after the appropriate gratuity, of course).

I have to say, both the Nakaya and the LE Pelikan have the most amazing packaging. The beautiful, multicolored pen pouch the Nakaya comes in is exquisite, together with its lettered and illustrated box. What a refreshing change from mass production! When I unscrewed the Piccolo, it just felt like a crafted pen; something to be savored and enjoyed. I'm going to have fun with this. Pictures and more later when I ink it (them)!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Pictures and more later when I ink it (them)!

Yes, please! I would like to see a writing sample from that XXF nib. Pretty please? :)