How Small A Nib Should I Go?

stevesurf

Just go to the nibs.con Nakaya Main Page and click on the Availability Chart in the upper right hand corner. They probably have most every nib in stock. Mr. Mottishaw just has to install it in the pen. Nakaya requires that the nib and feed be steamed prior to insertion for a good fit. Do not try this at home; they are professionals.

Yes, they are quite responsive to their emails and have all the versions I'm interested in, in stock. Thanks!

Frank and I are having an impromptu Pen Posse. We vote for all four. :)

If however, you are only purchasing one, I vote for the first because it looks like a cigar and I see the beauty of form.

Me too; I think I'm going for a Piccolo Araishu (no clip; orange) in XXF nib.

The standard XF nib is about as fine as I would want to go. It is very tiny. I use mine for grading and marginalia. I have a hard time imagining writing with the XXF, but I'd like to try one. My XF is very smooth despite its fineness.

I really like the araishu Piccolo! Such a pretty orange! And the kuro-tamenuri is a elegant and beautiful. Have you considered the unpolished shu? My unpolished shu Naka-ai has a really wonderful tactility; it is warm and smooth and almost velvety.

I haven't, it is beautiful; I believe the unpolished is available in red and not orange. I really like the orange :)

Steve, after further examination, this one is my favorite. (However, you can have multiples of the others for the cost of my favorite.)

http://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/12005(1).jpg

That's the bees knees :bunny01:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/mikefarha/IMG_0351_zps3f1f5643.jpg

These are 3 of my Nakayas, L-R Naka Ai Heki SM, Aka BB cut to a Stub/CI and the new one Decapod Kuro with a Left Oblique in between CI with Flex what pen. Please don't judge by my writing or Photos...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/mikefarha/IMG_0352_zps942ade57.jpg

This is Behance Dot and it performs well, pretty true to size. The SM on lighter weight 80 G Rhodia though is a noticeably narrower line my pics were bad there so I didn't post

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/mikefarha/IMG_0360-1_zpsa4bbfcf6.jpg

and this is the new Kuro with this incredible nib like JM'S daily user on Rhodia 80 G, keep in mind this is a BB fire house wideout in terms of wetness and the M is exactly what I said, significantly more narrow, consistent with a MB fine.

I share some of the same tastes with JM, I love classic lines Omas Paragons and the Decapods and these are good sized pens.

I think you'll enjoy Nakaya Steve....

Best,

MIKE

Great, Mike; glad you are enjoying them, and the paper seems to work well. :thumbup:

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• stevesurf

• sarahfar

• ethernautrix

I have no drawing ability....I would take that number 4 example you posted. :thumbup:

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I have no drawing ability....I would take that number 4 example you posted. :thumbup:

Yes the dark green looks gorgeous; here's a few more pix:

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/Piccolo/PiccoloCigarMidori_UnCapped.JPG

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/nagasawa/cabinet/mannnenhitu/nakaya-pw-10.jpg

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/nagasawa/cabinet/mannnenhitu/nakaya-pw-h.jpg

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/nagasawa/cabinet/mannnenhitu/nakaya-pw-7.jpg?_ex=350x350

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Steve,

It looks like the bottom line is the XXF ara-ishu cigar piccolo--A beautiful pen! To be honest, though, they all are. I personally prefer the plainer models; Japanese lacquer is beautiful all by itself. Amberlea likes the bling--she is a Vegas girl after all. I do not have an unpolished shu, but I have always admired them, someday. . . . I also don't have an XXF. I do like fine nibs, and I'm sure that a Nakaya XXF is about the smallest usable nib there is. According to the chart above, it would be even thinner than the Rapidograph. I'm currently having a lot off fun with the new iroshizuku take-sumi ink. It is a nice dark black, but not as thick as Noodler's. The ama-iro is gorgeous; I have it in my Namiki Falcon with a flexible extra fine nib.

Well, best of luck with the new pen. I'm certain you'll enjoy it. It is, in some ways, the polar opposite of a MB Writer's edition!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I'll try to do that tomorrow in between meetings and other junk. I think from the BB CI I currently have you'll find it very nice. It also does very well with the M Flex. I have had zero issue with it on 80 G/90G/100 G.

On Rhodia black pads and blank zero issue. On the dots zero issue too. I will try to post all 3 on the dot and then the blank Rhodia tomorrow, maybe some of the other Rhodia papers too. Best to all

Mike

Thanks for posting the pen photos with writing samples. You have a great collection of pens and inks. I also like your writing style.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I can't wait to see the Ao tamenuri!

I'm skimming to catch up. Amberlea -- that Nakaya with the raden fish is exquisite! Wow.

I have an unpolished shu Piccolo that has been in rotation since I received it. There is just something... about that unpolished shu with the hint of a suggestion of the underlying black; it just tantalizes me.

I've been using a Long Piccolo (kuro tamenuri) and Naka-ai (aka tamenuri) lately, keep telling myself to notice how differently they feel as I write (is there a difference?), and the next thing I know, I'm just writing. I remember as I recap the pen, "Oh! I was supposed to pay attention--" but they're both just comfortable, so... it's easy to forget that I'm supposed to notice if there's a difference or not.

Just a tiny correction to Doug's quotation of Lady S's salutation that has caught on (and I know I can be enthusiastic about Nakaya), but it's just the two. :-D

Nakaya! Nakaya!

:-)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Steve,

It looks like the bottom line is the XXF ara-ishu cigar piccolo--A beautiful pen! To be honest, though, they all are. I personally prefer the plainer models; Japanese lacquer is beautiful all by itself. Amberlea likes the bling--she is a Vegas girl after all. I do not have an unpolished shu, but I have always admired them, someday. . . . I also don't have an XXF. I do like fine nibs, and I'm sure that a Nakaya XXF is about the smallest usable nib there is. According to the chart above, it would be even thinner than the Rapidograph. I'm currently having a lot off fun with the new iroshizuku take-sumi ink. It is a nice dark black, but not as thick as Noodler's. The ama-iro is gorgeous; I have it in my Namiki Falcon with a flexible extra fine nib.

Well, best of luck with the new pen. I'm certain you'll enjoy it. It is, in some ways, the polar opposite of a MB Writer's edition!

Thanks Frank, I gave myself an early birthday gift. I thank you for showing me a pen that I like for its nib instead of just for its design. That's why I like some of the writer's editions so much: they have both good nibs and great designs. The Nakaya will remind me of the wonderful times I spent in Japan; I miss my Panasonic friends a great deal and my trips to Sogo and Takeshimaya. Fortunately a few of them are on Facebook. I'll keep you posted on my progress; enjoy the ink!

And there's still an Ao Tamenuri they are making for me, another 6 weeks away though.

Best,

Wow, Mike, you will have a wonderful, diverse Nakaya collection!

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I'm skimming to catch up. Amberlea -- that Nakaya with the raden fish is exquisite! Wow.

+! :thumbup:

I have an unpolished shu Piccolo that has been in rotation since I received it. There is just something... about that unpolished shu with the hint of a suggestion of the underlying black; it just tantalizes me.

I wish they had it in orange, too!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Diversity will soon come to an end for Mike. Sometime when my wife figures I'm back pushing 80 pens again, of course then I only have 5 watches so we can shift and just start over again. Hmmmmm.... pens and watches, not such a bad habit to have.

Back to Nakaya, in terms of weight, like the MB 149, or the Paragon old style Omas, I think they are light but really an incredible experience in terms of writing Steve

ethernautrix, if memory serves me correct, you are Lisa and you are one of the people that got me fascinated with the Piccolo shape and Ao Tamenuri. Nakata san was very polite and his people and I patiently worked through the order, took a while but they are making it so I will be very interested in seeing how it shows through with the blue/green color when it arrives and how it actually writes. I wish Ao Tamenuri was a stock color.

Best All

Diversity will soon come to an end for Mike. Sometime when my wife figures I'm back pushing 80 pens again, of course then I only have 5 watches so we can shift and just start over again. Hmmmmm.... pens and watches, not such a bad habit to have.

Write her some love notes; she'll be buying you pens :)

Back to Nakaya, in terms of weight, like the MB 149, or the Paragon old style Omas, I think they are light but really an incredible experience in terms of writing Steve

Yes, that's the impression I got from handling Frank's Cigar (I believe that's his pen). I wasn't impressed at all at first, but when I started writing with it, it all changed; I was fascinated. I'm not worried about the light weight as I've got a nice selection of heavier MB Writers like the Verne. I like that I am always learning about this hobby, even if I've been "inking" for over 40 years :)

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I think the apt comparison is probably the resins and 146/149. If you love the Verne, this might be an issue. I had one and sold it I couldn't get over that it felt top heavy. Visconti, Omas and other MB's LE's and We's don't really bother me, but I had weight issues with that pen. Like I say weight and balance would to me be more consistent with the older Paragons/Omas and the MB resins like the 149/146. Just a thought, the LA Pen show is just around the corner, pop up and have JM do it to your preference, that way you get to play with all sizes and weights, nibs etc, he's really into Nakaya, and I'm guessing you'll walk away ecstatic.

Best,

Mike

I think the apt comparison is probably the resins and 146/149. If you love the Verne, this might be an issue. I had one and sold it I couldn't get over that it felt top heavy. Visconti, Omas and other MB's LE's and We's don't really bother me, but I had weight issues with that pen. Like I say weight and balance would to me be more consistent with the older Paragons/Omas and the MB resins like the 149/146. Just a thought, the LA Pen show is just around the corner, pop up and have JM do it to your preference, that way you get to play with all sizes and weights, nibs etc, he's really into Nakaya, and I'm guessing you'll walk away ecstatic.

Best,

Mike

I actually like a combination of light and heavy pens, so I think I'll be good. If the Nakaya's weight/size is similar to 149/146, then I'll definitely be fine as I enjoy writing with both. I actually already put my order through too :bunny01:

This time of year pretty much has me on continuous travel through the beginning of April, so the chances of making the LA Pen show are like shooting womp rats in Beggar's Canyon ;)

...though I'd of course love to attend my first pen show

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

ethernautrix, if memory serves me correct, you are Lisa and you are one of the people that got me fascinated with the Piccolo shape and Ao Tamenuri. Nakata san was very polite and his people and I patiently worked through the order, took a while but they are making it so I will be very interested in seeing how it shows through with the blue/green color when it arrives and how it actually writes. I wish Ao Tamenuri was a stock color.

Best All

Laura was the main culprit -- with an assist from Leigh and probably QM2 -- to lead me down the Nakaya Rabbit Hole. It's the gift that keeps giving. :-)

You know, I really like the Long Piccolo, the Naka-ai, the Desk Pen (LOVE the Desk Pen), but the Piccolo.... I don't know why; it's just... overall? I mean, I LOVE the Desk Pen, but the Piccolo.... The Piccolo!

I cannot WAIT to see the Ao!

Yep,

Lisa

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Best All

Laura was the main culprit -- with an assist from Leigh and probably QM2 -- to lead me down the Nakaya Rabbit Hole. It's the gift that keeps giving. :-)

You know, I really like the Long Piccolo, the Naka-ai, the Desk Pen (LOVE the Desk Pen), but the Piccolo.... I don't know why; it's just... overall? I mean, I LOVE the Desk Pen, but the Piccolo.... The Piccolo!

Yep,

Lisa

Uh oh, now you've got me thinking, Piccolo vs Long Piccolo? Length-wise how do they compare to a MB 149? :unsure:

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I thought you had it narrowed down. The piccolo long is exclusive to Aesthetic Bay in Singapore. As such, they are a little more expensive than the US dealer. You can compare pen sizes on Nibs.com.

As you can see, the Nakayas are all very similar. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

View AllPens you are comparing: Montblanc 149, Nakaya Piccolo Cigar, Nakaya Neo Standard Writer, Nakaya Long Piccolo, Nakaya Naka-ai

ManufacturerModel MaterialWeight (gr.)Closed Length (in)Posted Length (in)Barrel Length (in)Barrel Width (in)Section Diameter (in)Ink Capacity (ml.)Filling System
CompareMontblanc149Resin295.8756.754.140.590.512.7Piston
CompareNakayaLong PiccoloUrushi Lacquer285.886.254.3130.590.410.9C/Cart 1.5
CompareNakayaNaka-aiUrushi Lacquer over Hard Rubber265.96.44.50.590.40.9C/Cart 1.5
CompareNakayaNeo Standard WriterUrushi/Hard Rubber28.85.9274.440.590.410.9C/Cart 1.5
CompareNakayaPiccolo CigarUrushi/Hard Rubber225.126.473.710.590.410.9C/Cart 1.5
Edited by Frank C

Waaaay off topic:

Best All

Yep,

Lisa

ethernautrix, I'm glad you switched back to your former avatar. The one you had up yesterday scared me.

I thought you had it narrowed down. The piccolo long is exclusive to Aesthetic Bay in Singapore. As such, they are a little more expensive than the US dealer. You can compare pen sizes on Nibs.com.

As you can see, the Nakayas are all very similar. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks for the reference, Frank! :notworthy1:

Looks like I chose wisely.

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

My mormon girl is showing again.... I don't know if I can read conversations without blushing. I think I'm too young to know "handle Frank's cigar" and "long" v "short" piccolos. I'm sure "polishing" is illegal in this county. Okay, I'll get my mind out of the gutter soon. (But other than that, I like the unpolished versions)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Off Topic:

My mormon girl is showing again.... I don't know if I can read conversations without blushing. I think I'm too young to know "handle Frank's cigar" and "long" v "short" piccolos. I'm sure "polishing" is illegal in this county. Okay, I'll get my mind out of the gutter soon. (But other than that, I like the unpolished versions)

For the record, Steve handled my black portable writer with an XF gold nib. "Polishing" is legal in every county in Nevada except Washoe and Clark. No one has ever been prosecuted for having an unpolished shu or shoes (for that matter) in Nevada, even in Clark and Washoe Counties.

Steve and I "found" some cigars that we suspected might be contraband. Courtney, at Arturo Fuente, forced us to destroy them by burning. She also forced us to consume adult beverages while burning the cigars.

"Long" piccolos are exclusive to Aesthetic Bay--ostensibly a pen store--in Singapore. (The) ethernautrix has one of her own. There is also an "Aesthetic Bay" on Spring Mountain Road in Las Vegas; it is not a fountain pen store.

Any further questions should be directed to my legal counsel.

Frank C