Hakase Buffalo Horn Fp #37185

mongrelnomad

Beautiful pen and great review, thanks!

I particularly related to your comments about the handmade nature of this pen and the lack of clinical perfection. Those comments reflect my own experiences with my two handmade pens (a Nakaya Dorsal Fin and an Onoto Nelson). It's the lack of perfection which makes them perfect!

Enjoy your pen.

Jon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• hari317

• watch_art

• terminal

I'm glad I'm not the only that is taken with the individual sounds a cap makes when being unscrewed. Even though most of my Japanese pens are made of ebonite, they all sound different. My Fellowship pens almost sounds like it is made of glass, while my Mae West sounds quite a bit duller.

Lovely pen. Can you comment on the clip? Is it usable? I'l love to see a photo of it in your pocket.

the Danitrio Fellowship

very nice pen and review Mongrel, you need 2 pens to actually form a buffalo horn :)

how effective is the roll stopper if the pen is uncapped?

add this to the list of WTB but can't afford :rolleyes:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Beautiful pen and excellent review. If they made an eye dropper I would have to get one

very difficult. I think other than the Namiki high end or Dani Trio ebonite, there are no ED pens being offered. Maybe it is too much effort to engineer.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Lovely review. Makes me want a Hakase, more so cos of the date inscribed on the barrel. Or the micro clip and the everso slightly offset roll stopper. And the noise the cap makes while screwing off and on. One of the reasons I love my Danitrio Fellowship is for the tactility and sound of unscrewing and screwing the cap -- the cap feels fragile yet durable and the sound is... can't quite describe it but it's commensurate with the tactility.

Especially after watching one of the videos of Hakase at work, I really would like to have one of these pens.

If not for priorities... alas....

Enjoy your Hakase in good health, MN. It's a beauty.

Thanks Lisa... although I feel you need a Hakase in your life. Think of it as the yin to Nakaya's yang ;)

Oh freakin DROOL! That's so great. Thanks for posting the review. :)

Cheers!

THAT is a great pen, and a nicely done review by someone who knows his stuff. Thanks for sharing with us.

Glad you enjoyed it. Although I still have a lot to learn. (Easily remedied by buying more Hakases m'thinks!)

Absolutely gorgeous pen....

Love the look of it, design, large size, color, horn texture/variation, etc....

Think the rollstop clip is cool, it does make me think that someone shrunk the pocket clip....

Enjoy!

:thumbup:

In person, those shrunken aspects seem absolutely right. It becomes as if the normal, full-size, clips are unnecessary. At least from an aesthetic point of view (see below).

Thanks for posting the review - a great pen.

I am very pleased the journey has had a happy ending :D

Thanks!

Lovely pen. Those two features-the roll-stopper and micro-clip-are not at all strange looking, they have the vocabulary of everyday pen accoutrements but also manage to be unique in an understated way. Enjoyed the review, especially this line: "you're paying through the nose to feel the humanity in it." If ever my nose is able to accommodate it, I'll definitely be interested in some of Hakase's humanity.

I really don't know how anyone can claim a $2,000 pen to be good value, but I feel less remorse - or rather, more satisfied with the value-for-money - over this pen than the vast majority at far lower price-points. I would easily trade ten of my $200 pens for one of these.

What a beautiful pen. I think all those little imperfections that you describe are best explained by reading this:

Wabi-Sabi

Absolutely!

Very nice review. I love the way it writes, too. You have a real winner there!

That's just the icing on the cake. I'd have to make excuses if it didn't write well; the fact that it is among the handful of my best writers only adds to the appreciation.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Like wow! Thanks for sharing. Buffalo horn is a traditional material for several parts of the Japanese sword mount. Congrats on combining so many elements of traditional Japanese craftsmenship. Enjoy.

I believe the congratulations should be given to those at Hakase. I only picked up the bill! :blush:

I can almost feel the cap screwing onto the barrel. Love it. Nice review.

Funny: I didn't expect that to be the point of the review people most picked up on. I just thought it was a little detail that I found beguiling and most others would find mundane... Glad you enjoyed the review!

I thoroughly enjoyed your review which was quite articulate and managed to convey the intangible bits about the pen - thank you.

Thanks.

very nice pen :thumbup:

Cheers Georges.

Just fantastic!

:thumbup:

Beautiful pen and great review, thanks!

I particularly related to your comments about the handmade nature of this pen and the lack of clinical perfection. Those comments reflect my own experiences with my two handmade pens (a Nakaya Dorsal Fin and an Onoto Nelson). It's the lack of perfection which makes them perfect!

Enjoy your pen.

Jon

Jon: I've found my Nakayas to be almost painfully perfect in every way. Distinctively, individually perfect each one, but flawless nonetheless. The Hakase is a very different beast entirely: it is the imperfections (if you can call them that) that are distinct, not the resulting perfection.

If you were the one that wrote the Nelson review, I enjoyed that immensely! :thumbup:

Beautiful pen and very nice honest review. Enjoy your pen in good health and may your future generations enjoy it just as much.

Thanks. Both my wife and one-year-old daughter seem to covet this pen over and above all others. (It's already found its way surreptitiously into my daughter's toy bin!)

I really enjoyed your nice review. Only 1 pen for you!

rokurinpapa

Na. This is the nut-house. There's no such thing as just one pen! :headsmack:

I'm glad I'm not the only that is taken with the individual sounds a cap makes when being unscrewed. Even though most of my Japanese pens are made of ebonite, they all sound different. My Fellowship pens almost sounds like it is made of glass, while my Mae West sounds quite a bit duller.

Lovely pen. Can you comment on the clip? Is it usable? I'l love to see a photo of it in your pocket.

It's a captivating sound: a bit rougher than the sound of my ebonite CS Marlborough, and offering a bit more tactile feedback when its unscrewed. Thanks for giving me the excuse to just sit here and screw it on and off for a little while!

As to the clip: I really don't know how effective it is in traditional use. i don't wear shirts with pockets, and my pens are usually carried in a pouch. The Hakase has resided in a 4-pen Hakase pen-roll and a Faber-Castel single pen case, neither of which required the clip. Sorry!

That's quite a pen. Like others have said, thank you for the frank review. May many happy words come from that pen!

Well, still working on Unpublished Novel #2 ™, so it's getting quite a workout. Not sure how happy (or eloquent) those words are though...

very nice pen and review Mongrel, you need 2 pens to actually form a buffalo horn :)

how effective is the roll stopper if the pen is uncapped?

add this to the list of WTB but can't afford :rolleyes:

So... are you saying I should get another Hakase? Like this one? It'd only be right, right? :bonk:

http://fp-hakase.com/products/IMG_4200_R.JPG

Beautiful pen and excellent review. If they made an eye dropper I would have to get one

Thanks. Keep in mind the CON-70 is HUMUNGOUS!

very difficult. I think other than the Namiki high end or Dani Trio ebonite, there are no ED pens being offered. Maybe it is too much effort to engineer.

I've never had an ED. Or rather I have, the one Dani Trio you took off my hands Hari, but it was so uncomfortable for me in use that I didn't manage to get through a single fill. One day I'll have to try one of the Namiki Emperors, but at that price point, there are just too many others I prefer, and insufficient funds to buy them all!

I like it. Buffalo horn is a nice change from more commonly used pen materials.

It's proving a great material. Tactile, warm, great weight, and completely rock-solid.

I've never had an ED. Or rather I have, the one Dani Trio you took off my hands Hari, but it was so uncomfortable for me in use that I didn't manage to get through a single fill. One day I'll have to try one of the Namiki Emperors, but at that price point, there are just too many others I prefer, and insufficient funds to buy them all!

I actually liked that Dani except for the shut off valve. I passed your pen on and then bought a few more. One kind FPNer has shared a method to get rid of the shut off valve in a reversible manner. I will try it sometime.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

It's proving a great material. Tactile, warm, great weight, and completely rock-solid.

This is the part I'm interested in the most. I've read that buffalo horn is terribly prone to cracking. And here it is with threads cut into it like it's nothing! Hmmm.....

I may have to consider this material a bit more before writing it off...

OK, this post has left me with a feeling of complete ENVY, mongrelnomad....not only do I wish I owned such a gorgeous handmade Japanese fountain pen myself, (I ADORE that micro clip and hammered gold band,) I wish I had the ability to write as eloquently as you! Your words are the equivalent of maple syrup melting deliciously over warm french toast....you are truly gifted, my friend.

Warm regards,

Lynne

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

This is the part I'm interested in the most. I've read that buffalo horn is terribly prone to cracking. And here it is with threads cut into it like it's nothing! Hmmm.....

I think it has much to do with the thickness of the horn. My wife is very fond of the material and has quite a few necklaces of varying intricacies: some of the thinner ones have shattered spectacularly, the thicker ones (thinner still than the pen) have survived falls, haphazard packing and the perilous vagaries of my teething daughter's mouth. The horn used in the pen is very, very thick - which may also account for some of the weight. I'll try and take a photo of the hollow barrel at some point...

OK, this post has left me with a feeling of complete ENVY, mongrelnomad....not only do I wish I owned such a gorgeous handmade Japanese fountain pen myself, (I ADORE that micro clip and hammered gold band,) I wish I had the ability to write as eloquently as you! Your words are the equivalent of maple syrup melting deliciously over warm french toast....you are truly gifted, my friend.

Warm regards,

Lynne

Shucks!!! :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by mongrelnomad

This is a beautiful pen indeed. I hope to visit Hakase in march, when attending a conference in Japan. I am already saving because I know I will give in... Ruud

Here you go, as promised.

I should also mention that the section is made of ebonite (oops! Kinda forgot that)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8392393876_ee488ed8c3_c.jpg

:puddle: The drool cannot describe how much I like this pen but will never own one. I am content to look at your stunning photos. Thank you.

Thanks. :)

This is a beautiful pen indeed. I hope to visit Hakase in march, when attending a conference in Japan. I am already saving because I know I will give in... Ruud

They're evil Ruud... thank god I've no plans to head to Totori. Otherwise, well... there are apparently more important things in life than pens. That tortoise-shell and the sandalwood are just incredible and very very tempting...