Q Connect Bank Paper

The Good Captain

I received a ream (500 sheets) of this in the post a couple of days ago and am really impressed. I'm still a big fan of the Ryman's Bank paper too and both these two have a nominal weight of 45GSM. However, on comparing them I would say that the Q Connect just has the slight edge if visual appearance and to a very slight extent, the 'feel' of it is of major importance. Personally, I don't pretty much care either way as both behave really well.

Obviously, there is some see-through which is to be expected. However, like the Ryman's, there was only minimal bleed with just a couple of inks. I must point out that I didn't have all the inks that I used for the Ryman's scan in pens when I did the Q Connect but that isn't really an issue anyway as most of us seem not to write with the same pens/inks/nibs all the time anyway.

I use both sides, especially when sending by airmail and have no trouble in reading it at all.

So here are the scans. A couple of the full A4 sheet; front and back followed by some in more detail. My comments with scans showing the bleed-through are at the end.

Front.

fpn_1358008432__q_connect_paper-front-fpn.jpg

Back.

fpn_1358008454__q_connect_paper-back-fpn.jpg

fpn_1358008472__q_connect_paper_0001.jpg

fpn_1358008522__q_connect_paper_0002.jpg

fpn_1358008549__q_connect_paper_0003.jpg

fpn_1358008579__q_connect_paper_0004.jpg

fpn_1358008649__q_connect_paper_0006.jpg

Finally, more detail showing the bleed-through. The main culprit for feathering and bleed was Noodler's Prime of the Commons with Van Gogh Starry Night and 54th Massachusetts both showing a little bleed but no feathering to speak of.

Front.

fpn_1358009014__q_connect_paper_0005_copy.jpg

Back.

fpn_1358009084__q_connect_paper_0005_back_copy.jpg

All in all, I rate these two papers really highly and would tentatively suggest that the Q connect could give anything a run for its money.

And the price? A real bargain. £5.39GBP including 20% VAT. The carriage from the company I used is only £0.99GBP for anything (but that might of course be GB only!!!!). Don't know how they do it.

If you can, try it out. The people I write to will be seeing it for themselves - soon!

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• Renfield

• hilsedwards

• lamder

Hello Good Captain,

I am also a big fan of Rymans Bank Paper and on the strength of your earlier post I ordered a ream of that thar Q Connect Bank Paper. Jolly glad I did!!

Have you tried my most favourite ink, Noodler's Blue Nose Bear, on this Q Connect????

I have found it to be a tad feathery but just about acceptable on Rymans.

Looking forward to the postie tottering up the front path with my ream of goodies.

Hello Good Captain,

I am also a big fan of Rymans Bank Paper and on the strength of your earlier post I ordered a ream of that thar Q Connect Bank Paper. Jolly glad I did!!

Have you tried my most favourite ink, Noodler's Blue Nose Bear, on this Q Connect????

I have found it to be a tad feathery but just about acceptable on Rymans.

Looking forward to the postie tottering up the front path with my ream of goodies.

I don't have that particular Noodler's on my shelf. as it happens. Also, I've no pen with Sargasso Sea or Majestic inked which were two I used on the Ryman's test but I don't think there would be a problem. As mentioned earlier, somewhere, I initially wanted something to trim and punch for use in a Filofax and this QC seems to be the one.

Let us know what you think of it when it arrives.

The Good Captain

I ordered some from Print Cartridge Direct which claim to offer Uk delivery for 99p, so fingers crossed.

It was £5.39 + 0.99 delivery.

Will let you know if it arrives. (I usually find, I get an email after saying "Oh yeah, NI not included, send us a gold bar and we will think about it"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I ordered some from Print Cartridge Direct which claim to offer Uk delivery for 99p, so fingers crossed.

Will let you know if it arrives. (I usually find, I get an email after saying "Oh yeah, NI not included, send us a gold bar and we will think about it"

That's where I got mine from and I really hope you don't have any problems from them regarding the delivery. Let us know.

The Good Captain

I know it's all relative, but 45gsm (which translates to about 30lb) would not typically be considered 'light-weight' in this part of the world :-)

Sam

I know it's all relative, but 45gsm (which translates to about 30lb) would not typically be considered 'light-weight' in this part of the world :-)

Sam

I don't profess to be an expert on this but I don't think that is correct. I believe 30lb paper is more like 115 gsm I think 45gsm would be more like 15lb, and would definitely classed as light weight in my part of world ;-)

Sam

I don't profess to be an expert on this but I don't think that is correct. I believe 30lb paper is more like 115 gsm I think 45gsm would be more like 15lb, and would definitely classed as light weight in my part of world ;-)

Maybe I am being a dolt (probably), but is it just a case of figuring out how many pages is in a square metre and then dividing 45g by that number?

So an 80GSM A4 Rhodia sheet will weight the same as a copier paper 80GSM A4 sheet?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Sam

You are right, of course!

The first smoking gun that my numbers are wrong should be that the reviewer actually having held the paper :headsmack:

This is what happens when you let other people do the math for you:

http://okpaper.com/calculators/lbs-to-gsm

I have since learned that lb-weight of 'Text' paper is not exactly what I thought it was because the dimensions of said paper is much larger that copy paper.

Would have been less dolty had I turned to this first instead:

http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html

Sam

Oh, but it is here in GB. Have a look for one of Bo Bo Olson's excellent posts about the comparisons of US and European paper weights.

Mush less than 45gsm is probably on sale in supermarkets.

In the toilet tissue section.

The Good Captain

Sam

You are right, of course!

The first smoking gun that my numbers are wrong should be that the reviewer actually having held the paper :headsmack:

This is what happens when you let other people do the math for you:

http://okpaper.com/calculators/lbs-to-gsm

I have since learned that lb-weight of 'Text' paper is not exactly what I thought it was because the dimensions of said paper is much larger that copy paper.

Would have been less dolty had I turned to this first instead:

http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html

The imperial (lbs) standards for paperweights are, to put it mildly, confusing.

That's right - I did. And the difference between the QC and Ryman's can be felt.

The Good Captain

Thanks very much for the tip. I still have much of a packet of the Ryman bank paper left but it's much better to buy by the ream. Especially at prices like that!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks for the tip Captain, I received a ream of this yesterday and am very impressed - especially given the price.

That's where I got mine from and I really hope you don't have any problems from them regarding the delivery. Let us know.

Mine arrived OK, so all is well. (You will know that as I sent you a letter with it)

Decent paper, does anyone know how much a page weighs?

Mine arrived OK, so all is well. (You will know that as I sent you a letter with it)

Decent paper, does anyone know how much a page weighs?

According to the Salter electric scales, about 2gm. Using the Q Connect DL airmail envelopes, I get 1.5 sheets (plus envelope) weighing in at 9gm, just below the 10gm limit for the first stamp.

The Good Captain

Does anyone know how it compares to the Tomoe River paper?

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

The Tomoe River is heavier at about 58gsm I think? Plus it has that surface treatment that makes it behave so well with inks and comes in a creamier colour as well as a white.

The 45gsm Bank papers are very good for their purpose - thin carbon copies for impact printers that won't take up too much room in paper file storage. They also happen to work remarkably well as airmail paper for letter writing unless your pen is a real hosepipe!

Ryman Bank paper was reviewed in post #13 and post #24 of THIS thread and the Tomoe River was reviewed in post #23

Edited by DanielCoffey

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much, Daniel! That was a superb review :thumbup:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif