Pelikan 101N Lizard

jandrese

It seems I am the first to review this pen, at least in this sub forum. I am surprised by that. Many loved the last Pelikan 101N reissue, the brown tortoise. I love it, and my review of that pen can be found here. So many loved it Pelikan ran at least three production runs. From what I hear many fewer love this latest 101N reissue, the lizard. If you are a hater shame on you, this pen equals or betters the previous reissue. Just look at it up close.

photo-6.JPG

I'm going to strive for brevity here. This is a very nice pen. Yes, at exactly the same shape as the previous reissue it is a little small, but posted it feels great. It is light and easily fits in your pocket. From a distance it is classic black and silver. Up close it is very interesting. I'm not sure I see lizard skin (not that I really know), but I like it very much just the same. The big ink window on these pens is really fantastic. This pen has a fine nib that writes a slightly wet, slightly wider than fine consistent line without hesitation even after sitting around awhile---and that is with Sailor's Nano Carbon Black pigment ink. Don't be threatened by the price; I got mine at Dromgooles in Houston, TX for a very attractive price. The pen is worth every penny. These may be the worst pen pics I ever took, but I wanted to see how close the iPhone would get. Nibs.com and others have better pics if you hate mine.

photo-5.JPG

photo-3.JPG

Compared to the 101N tortoise reissue this lizard material feels and looks higher quality. The nibs look the same except for the color, gold vs. silver, but both are smooth juicy wonders. Go buy one already, you know you want to.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JLS1

• mirosc

• Soer

• Montblanc owner and lover

Thanks for the review and the great pictures. I think it's a really nice looking pen and the only thing which stops me getting one is the small size (I don't like posting).

Enjoy the pen.

Jon

Thanks for sharing. Nice pen trough I like the pelikan 100 over the 101. Unfortunately the only reissue pelikan made of those are some expensive LE's. The lizard pattern looks great on this pen.

Find it strange btw u feel there is a difference in build between the first and second M101n. U would expect them to be the same. Have read some comments people found the tortoise M101n to feel to cheap a build. So maybe pelikan noticed those commends.

Edited by RobertJRB

Pelikan nut

Thanks for the review and the great pictures. I think it's a really nice looking pen and the only thing which stops me getting one is the small size (I don't like posting).

Enjoy the pen.

Jon

Same for me. The lizard material is great, but the 101N is a poor fit for me. Now if Pelikan made an M1000 in the lizard material... :puddle:

Edited by raging.dragon

Thanks for the review. I received mine in December and filled it with R&K Verdigris. I had the B nib made into a cursive italic at nibs.com when I purchased the pen. It is a beautiful pen and writes like a dream. Even though I have big hands--an M1000 is fine--I use the 101N unposted without any problems. I noticed that one of the other early purchasers sold hers through the classifieds already because it didn't "wow" her as she thought it would. My little lizard wowed me!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Gorgeous looking pen. Nice colour tones. The lizard pattern looks great in the 2nd & 3rd photos like the underbelly of a large lizard. I think the close-up accentuates the regular grid pattern too much and you would not normally be holding it that close.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Bogon07

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

I've had my Lizard for a number of weeks now and I really like it. In fact, I think the nib is even better on this one than the Tortoise (which I have as well). Granted, it is small, but it does not write like a small pen.

The body is incredibly smooth, surprising given the lizard texture underneath, which makes it appear as it might be rough...

I really love this pen! It is worth getting. And yes, I did get it at less than MSRP.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

they're very nice

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Thanks for the review. This pen is interesting as it looks like it's paying homage to the great Soennecken 222 series, which had a very similar 'lizard-skin' barrel/cap. One difference is that the Soenneckens came in at least 3 colors (grey, red, green), whereas this Pelikan comes in only grey...I wonder if Pelikan is going to release more colors with this pattern?

This pen is interesting as it looks like it's paying homage to the great Soennecken 222 series, which had a very similar 'lizard-skin' barrel/cap

Not really.

It's a new interpretation of Pelikan's own 100N Lizard from the 1930's. Pelikan has enough own models and surely doesn't need to imitate other makers :-) I'm not really sure, but don't the Soennecken Lizards date from the early 50's?

I wonder if Pelikan is going to release more colors with this pattern?

I doubt it. There will be another limited edition this year with silver/chrome caps, but I can't think of other colors - the original didn't come in several colors either.

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

What are the dimensions of this pen? Posted? Capped?

Also, the section looks longer than usual. What is that length?

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

• 1 year later...