Cursive Lowercase "r"

Mr Ink

Lowercase cursive "r"  

650 members have voted

1. 1. How do you write your cursive lowercase "r"? (please see picture)

• 1. Upright stroke followed by a small "hook".
    • 2. Slanted upstroke, then a gentle slide downwards, followed by a steep curve downwards.
    • 3. I always capitalize the "R" (even within lowercase text).
    • 4. Some other way (feel free to specify below).
    • 5. I always skip the lowercase letter "r" when I write anything!

Here are both. The one on the left is not comfortable for me. I prefer to write, and to read, the one on the right, which is a mixture of 3 and 5.

fpn_1466101864__image.jpeg

My cursive 'r' is similar to the one in the example on the left.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• Mr Ink

• gawain3

• Vlad Soare

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When in school I was taught that consistency is essential in handwriting, but as I have gotten older, I have found myself drifting into changing letter forms, often within a single sentence. I not only do this with r, but also with s, b, d, e, k, l, p, q, t, v, and w. I don't really give it much thought in the moment, but sometimes one or the other letterform just feels right. It doesn't seem to impact the legibility. It may be because my writing is a sort of hybrid of palmer, italic, and spencerian influences, learned at different times in my life.

Anyway, this is a vote for inconsistency.

I was taught the Palmer method in school, but I do pretty much the same as you. It depends on what I'm writing, the script style I'm using, or sometimes my own hybridization. Hey, as long as I can read it, it's all good :)

Usually I aim for consistency within the same document if nothing else.

• 1 month later...

Pleasing to see a six-year-old thread being kept alive. At least we are writing by hand. I seem to use several 'r-types' in one sitting, probably due to hand position at any given moment.

Note the 'thread-like' r as often taught in Palmer cursive, in 'grip' and 'vectors'.

Pangrams courtesy of Wits 'n Wisecracks: 251 Pangrams for Everyday Use by Millard Port, Amazon / Kindle Books. Used by permission.

post-109472-0-64897200-1545334063_thumb.jpg

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

• 3 months later...

This letter was one of the main reasons I hated learning cursive. I could never make the letter look right and it didn't flow well when I wrote-same with the lower case s.

• 4 months later...

I don't even have "the little loop" anymore, just a small peak if that, and the horizontal sometimes sags in the middle.

I don't even have "the little loop" anymore, just a small peak if that, and the horizontal sometimes sags in the middle.

Mostly this though it varies, even within a sentence,depending on what I'm writing and for who. I tend to be slower and more legible for others than myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went with option 1 because it's fairly close to what I do (see below).

As for the second character in the OP's image, I'd love to be able to talk to the person/people who decided to write a cursive lowercase 'r' that way in the first place. Not trying to to offend anyone, but every time I see someone write an 'r' like that I cringe and can't help but think they need to be shown what an 'r' actually looks like :headsmack:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:R_cursiva.gif

Cursive%20%27r%27%20sample.jpg

• 4 months later...

this is essentially the way I write lowercase cursive letters

http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/cursive/animation/lowercase.htm

so my r is as from example (2), and that is what I was taught in elementary school (we were taught cursive only, no scrip).

(in the shown alphabet, the one letter which greatly differs in the way I write it, is the z.)

I believe the r sign is the original sign for the letter, only that when writing cursive you need an additional linking sign to attach to the next letter, so example (1) is used in scrip and example (2) is used in cursive

(my cursive uppercases are however much different from the ones shown on the same site - here below - as corresponding capitals)

http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/cursive/animation/uppercase.htm

• 3 months later...

Option one is basically what I use. Option two, as I was taught so many decades ago in primary school tends to look like hump rather than a letter of the alphabet.

I was taught version 2 in school, but I got started using a cursive version of 1 by watching my mother write (she had very neat and precise handwriting). Now I use both, usually version 2 in the middle of a word and the cursive version 1 at the end of a word.

sansenri, I'm not clear on the difference between cursive and script.

Edited by Paul-in-SF