Italic/stub Pen Users - Do You Actually Write In Italic Handwriting?

Garageboy

Italic nib, italic handwriting.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8292/7646376728_3d89bb324d_z.jpg

Doug

Thanks for sharing that, what pen is this? I am new to this little collector's world and that is an interesting pen.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cellmatrix

• HDoug

• JefferyS

• Nanny

Doug

If anyone browses doug's blog they will see how good this guy's handwriting is

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

Thanks for sharing that, what pen is this? I am new to this little collector's world and that is an interesting pen.

Its a Lamy safari.

1357362922[/url]' post='2554759']
1357344138[/url]' post='2554463']

Doug

Oh no! The one photo he posted had me taking an 8 count on one knee! I rooted around looking for my Fred Eager book, but may just try to emulate the photo above. I set my alarm to 7 am, for Saturday.

You folks can raise my expectations for myself!

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I call this my handwriting. gets the job done.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Avetikus/HDRphoto.jpg

"Spend all you want! We'll print more!" - B. S. (What's a Weimar?) Bernanke

I use Italic nibs by preference — and Italic handwriting always (save when specifically demonstrating any other style), with or without an Italic nib.

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

I like to bring out the italic nib whenever I write a letter or note in a greeting card to someone. It just seems to make my rather mundane cursive hand writing it a little more personal and special.

Standard cursive writing for me. Using a stub or cursive italic nib forces me to write a bit slower, which makes my writing alot more legible. The line variation further improves the legibility of my writing.

If I'm using an italic or stub nib then I'll write with an italic style.

If I'm using a plain nib with some flex then a cursive style.

If I'm using a plain nib with no flex then it could be either style.

Dick D

My regular handwriting is very much based on the italic hand. I write in roughly the same style with any nib, but a stub or italic nib makes it look so much better. And even if I am in a hurry, it prevents me from writing illegibly.

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

and where does one find said blog please?

My handwriting/printing with a ball point pen is thin, scrawly/shaky, wobbles all over the place and is completely illegible even to myself. My handwriting/printing with a traditional fountain pen "ball" nib or a pointed nib is no better.

But I discovered that crisp italic nibs -- with their utterly flat and wide point -- steady my shaky hand upon the paper and suddenly my writing/printing no longer looks illegible, but is instead improved enough for me to garner praise from many people when they see it for the first time.

Will I ever improve to real italic writing? No. I no longer have the patience nor the will to do so; but I love my italic nibs just the same and pay a very high premium for them to be custom ground by the premier nibmeisters.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

I use my handwriting. I'm left-handed, and most of the traditional scripts are anywhere from more difficult to somewhat impossible for most left-writers to accomplish. Nonetheless, my stub and CI nibs lend a character to my handwriting (cursive and printing) that I find both interesting and attractive, and they make writing a very fun endeavor.

This goes for me too. I'm also a leftie and I can't write traditional scripts either but stub and CI nibs not only make my handwriting better, they're so much more enjoyable to write with - and that's what's it's all about for me.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

and where does one find said blog please?

I get a bit embarrassed when people compliment my handwriting because while I think it's on an okay path, I don't think it's all that good especially considering all the really outstanding pen virtuosi we have here at FPN.

Outside of FPN I write about and photograph a variety of subjects, but to try to answer the question, pics of pennish things I collect here at a Flickr site under this collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdoug/collections/72157627240770165/

And various stuff here at a tumblr of my Instagrams:

http://hdoug.tumblr.com/

I'm thumb typing at moment and will actually create clickable links later. In any case those who poke around may find I'm a real person with a few interests outside of pens, handwriting, inks, and paper. Just a warning!

Doug

I use a mix of italic and my own style of handwriting that only works with stub/italic nibs... So I try to get all my pens with italic or stub nibs! :P

I use edged nibs for all my writing & printing.

The wider Italic nibs (from 0.7 mm to 1.5 mm.) help to steady my questionable cursive handwriting style.

One FPN member likened these nibs to "training wheels", in a sense that Italics limit the side-to-side rolling of the grip, hence the nib on the paper.

With standard spherical-tip nibs I'd be rolling & sliding all over the place (as I do with ball-points & roller-balls).

Writing with Stubs & Cursive Italics also makes the involuntary shakes (flourishes) of my writing-hand more manageable.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Doug

Oh Doug, this actually brought a lump to my throat - your writing is so much like my late father's. Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Yes. I prefer writing italic with a monoline nib because I can write faster than with the traditional italic nib. After reading Hensher's book I realized that the elitist factor was what holds educators back from teaching an italic method to children. I have taught an italic based method to young children for nearly 40 years. The adults whom I have taught prove the effectiveness of the method when approached from the standpoint of an easy method that conforms well to the natural movement of the hand.

Edited by Nanny

in my experience, italic handwriting is not exactly a popular one

Popular with me - it's the only way I've ever written, though it starts to deform if I have to write at breakneck speed. In fact, it took me a while when I joined this forum to get my head around the concept of one person having different everyday styles.

Not sure what I think of people using italic nibs for other purposes, though... it doesn't seem to have increased the number of pens available with italic nibs! :hmm1:

I've written with fountain pens ever since I learnt to write. While they have so many nice things about them, the fact I can have an italic nib makes them a necessity. A fountain pen without one is, for me, a great disappointment.