Italic/stub Pen Users - Do You Actually Write In Italic Handwriting?

Garageboy

Just finished reading The Missing Inkby Philip Hensher and read through the evolution of handwriting styles over the years.

Noticed that here on FPN, everyone goes nuts over stubs and italic nibs, but in my experience, italic handwriting is not exactly a popular one.

So what type of handwriting are you guys using your italic/stub nibs for?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cellmatrix

• Garageboy

• JefferyS

• Nanny

I use my handwriting. I'm left-handed, and most of the traditional scripts are anywhere from more difficult to somewhat impossible for most left-writers to accomplish. Nonetheless, my stub and CI nibs lend a character to my handwriting (cursive and printing) that I find both interesting and attractive, and they make writing a very fun endeavor.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I use my italic pens at work where I almost always use cursive handwriting. However, I love practicing my italic handwriting while helping my younger one doing her homeworks at night.

Cheers,

Pierre

Hi,

I use italic handwriting as my normal hand. I learned it in school a long time ago.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

We were taught it....but I never mastered it... :(

I saw many people try hard, but I only ever saw one of my peers master it....and like most things....it wasn't about the pen....as anyone that has seen member GClefs line variation with a G2 will testify.....it just came natural to him...didn't have to 'try' first time he tried, it was better than the teachers...he must have been about 12 or 13.....

He was also one of....the best drawer / artists I have seen at the same age....his great love was birds of prey....

I use Getty-Dubay cursive italic as my regular hand, whether using an italic nib or not. I started learning it from Write Now just about a year ago, as my handwriting before that was not good.

Generally just cursive but sometimes pratice my italic calligraphy.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

:roflmho: a stroll on down to the thread Penmanship and then over to the one Dont just tell us about your pen show us, just to name 2 threads will reveal all! and how many people do Italic in one form or another (as there are lots of Italic variations)

Italic nib, italic handwriting.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8292/7646376728_3d89bb324d_z.jpg

Doug

I have a cursive writing, which they "beat in to us" (not literary) about 50 years ago. I do not know how this version was called here in the Netherlands. It looks somewhat like Palmer or Spencer.

With an italic nib, that gives an italic aspect.

I have developed (some would say deteriorated) the script they taught us to my own version, which is not stable. Especially my capitals will vary.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Yep, I use italic (my students think it is calligraphy, but it's not even close). At first, I wanted to master technical printing, but italic is far more "handsome" to me.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I just use my regular (terrible) handwriting, but find it makes it more legible (and I need all the help I can get!) :embarrassed_smile:

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

My Italix Parson's Essential, with a medium italic nib, almost nudges me to write in something very like an italic hand. But that is a stubbish italic nib. I also own a German pen of the 1950s with an oblique broad soft nib that is, in effect, an italic nib, but that nib doesn't nudge me into italic handwriting. Not a clear answer.

BTW, depending upon where one went to school, it can be pretty ordinary to write with an italic hand. In England between the world wars, and at least well into the 1950s, there was an effort made to teach italic cursive as the basic hand. We must have a fair number of English FPNers who learned italic at that time. I have no idea what's going on now. It varies between nations and school systems, I imagine. When I was young in New York City, being taught to write in italic went with going to progressive private schools. Italic was thought to be a nifty new way to teach. Not a new hand, actually older than the commercial cursive my parents and my sister and I were taught, but The Better Way for families that sent their kids to experimental schools. And today many American families that homeschool their children try to teach them a cursive italic hand.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8292/7646376728_3d89bb324d_z.jpg

Doug

I hope that some day my italic hand will look this good. What is that paper? It looks like concrete!

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Doug

I hope that some day my italic hand will look this good. What is that paper? It looks like concrete!

Haha! The photo is through an Instagram filter of some kind (I forget which) that accentuates textures. Makes the charcoal Safari look like charcoal and the paper like... concrete. In reality it's a Kunst & Papier journal which is acceptably smooth (but not super smooth).

Thanks for the compliment on my handwriting. It was a real mess 7 years ago which is when I found FPN!

Doug

Book Hand is not a variant of Italic/Chancery Cursive.

If you feel that variant is not the proper term, I have no objection, except to say the scripts are definitely related.

The original Humanistic Book Hand is an alphabet that was roughly developed around the same time as Chancery Cursive.

Bookhand preceded cursive italic -> Niccolò de' Niccoli adapted cursive italic directly from Poggio Bracciolini's original book hand/humanistic miniscule.

Both were written with a square cut nib.

Everyone already knows italic cut nibs render these scripts quite nicely, but square cut nibs do sound quite interesting. Have you written with one?

Edited by cellmatrix