J.brod&co. - Bohemian Company Of Tormented Story

Khufu

My Imperials............. stylos nos.

Hi,

very nice Imperial collection!

Imperial pens after year 1942 were made of celluloid from the new UMA company also located in Pardubice town. (I wrote about UMA company in "Polak & Lukesle - Sagitta" thread.) The second pen from 1943 is made of the early version of green-black striated celluloid which was later one of main patterns designed by chief engineer Mr. Jakubec in UMA company. The interesting fact - Brod factory (then Penco) was closed in 1953 and then the best empoyees and most precious machines were integrated into ex-Sagitta factory in same town. Then a production of completely new line of pens started in Pardubice town: Centropen 10010/11/12/14 and Barclay 1304/5 and some others.

Some of the empoyees were members of the original team hired by Jindřich Brod before WW2 and some other employees were members of Pick & Ganz prewar team (since 1901, in 1938 bought by Polak&Lukesle).

So some "genes" of J.Brod´s company survived until 1964 when ex-Sagitta factory was closed and FP production stopped in Pardubice town.

Edited by Khufu

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Khufu

• markiv

• Scrawler

• dasmarians

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow so detailed :P This is fantastic

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

Khufu, thanks for the info, very clear, I think I have more pens like this, maybe 3 more, I will search them, I never give too much atention until now, I bought as a lot becouse I use tintenkuli's or inkograph's for work and this was an option when I saw it.

regards

DM

Will have to look out for these pens in antique shops in Cairo... Thanks for the post.

Another interesting detail about Jindřich Brod and his factory. I have found in the town´s archives an interesting files (a police investigation, in fact) about a strike incident from year 1925:

Unfortunatelly the production didn´t started smoothly in new Zavadilka factory. Maybe the shine of the brand new J.Brod&Co factory crazed some workers and in 4 march 1926 there was major strike incident. In fact, Jindřich Brod let one grinding machine be operated by a skillful woman, long-term helper employee but without any professional formation. It gave rise to a massive protest of the other workers. They all had stopped to work and presented their claims to Jindřich Brod. They wanted remove the woman worker from the grinding machine control. In their eyes she was earning too much money for somebody without professional formation. And they wanted their salary to be increased, too. Brod contradicted and argued the employee contracts were not violated, on the contrary duty period decreased from 45 to 35-40hours/week in time of sites exchange and salary remained the same. After short discussion Jindřich Brod promptly refused their claims and 90 workers of 100 employees had been fired at once. During next 3 weeks some of the fired workers obstructed other employees and newly hired workers to enter the factory. The Police set the patrol unit to watch around the place and started investigation. Finally 4 workers (2 of them members of Communist party..) were sentenced for prison penalty up to 2 years for serious violations of several laws. Sudden lack of workforce was solved by contracts with Pick&Ganz, another local lathe factory for luxurious items in Pardubice. Interesting detail: Berta Brod´s sister was Pick jr.´s wife. In 2 months the troubles were almost over and Brod was hiring up to 80 employees - many of them were of the original team (they have lost the right for paid holidays in 1926 when rehired) and a dozen of new workers.

Edited by Khufu

• 2 months later...

Recently i have found this very rare IBCO 500 - an early J.Brod safety pen. Made of BHR and equipped with 14Ct Warranted nib.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u636/Centropens/1_zps6eba72c7.jpg[/u

RL]

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u636/Centropens/2_zps0e86701f.jpg

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u636/Centropens/6_zpsd403c58c.jpg

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u636/Centropens/IMGP2730_zps7e884a0e.jpg

Edited by Khufu

Beautiful pen! Do you have any information on dates of production?

I really enjoy your informative posts about pens that are little known here in North America.

Hi,

it is one of Brod early pens. Around 1928-29.

It is also the first Bohemian safety pen i have ever found :)

Edited by Khufu

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I´m newbie here. Sorry for my poor english. I´m fascinating lot of detailed information of pens from my country. Few days ago i bought one old pen with glass nib. Is that one of J. Brod´s pens?

Thank you for more information.

Few photos here:

post-125756-0-68938900-1445195748_thumb.jpg post-125756-0-56247500-1445195750_thumb.jpg post-125756-0-63580900-1445195752_thumb.jpg post-125756-0-73239800-1445195753_thumb.jpg post-125756-0-68103200-1445195755_thumb.jpg

Edited by Derchan