Represent The White Dot Something?

lazard

May 14, 1916 Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Republican:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Misc/1916_14_May_Sheaffer_bull__039_s_eye_of_perfection.jpg

Todd, what's the score??

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Lazard 20

• Roger W.

• jonveley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Daniel;

Good point. I own a few of these blocks where the dealer just has his info added in the open space in the block. Having the block would mean they could run it for years and Sheaffer would never know.

Roger W.

One dead horse. :rolleyes:

Now, now. Think about all the historical information that has been brought out in these threads! I might even post a picture of an arrow-imprint demonstrator...

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

Good point. I own a few of these blocks where the dealer just has his info added in the open space in the block. Having the block would mean they could run it for years and Sheaffer would never know.

Or care, really.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Now, now. Think about all the historical information that has been brought out in these threads! I might even post a picture of an arrow-imprint demonstrator...

--Daniel

Oh no, don't! Someone might think it's the inspiration for Parker's arrow clip.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Surely a good logo, symbol, or phrase, invokes many associations.

- A white circle can be a pearl, a symbol of pure and simple quality.
- A dot can be associated with the dot that finishes the 'i's as in the phrase cross your T's and dot your I's.
- There can be some mind leakage towards the connotational value of the bull's eye or target as well as many other associations.
- One mental association is that white symbolizes cleanliness and thus could remind one of the whole idea behind the entire company - the cleanliness and lack of smudges thanks to the filling method that allowed for this.
- add to this other possibilites like the full moon, light at the end of a tunnel, any beam of light in the dark, a perfect geometry, Number ONE as seen on a dice.

I think W.A.Sheaffer was aware that strong psychology pulls on many strings simultaneously.
It would be preposterous to argue that we could know with certainty that some association was totally non-existent somewhere in the back of Walter's mind when he thought the white dot was a good visual abbreviation for many good Sheaffer qualities and aspirations.

post-116923-0-76057700-1422693711.jpg

post-116923-0-02677000-1422693720.jpg

Edited by trauha

I know, crazy, right? And over at Parker, where they had the other best and most expensive publicists and artists in the world, they spent a huge amount of their time and money coming up with "Duofold." Oh, wait, some salesman just made that up?

--Daniel

A salesman?, sure? You would not be so sure if you see like Mr. Parker, years before and from page 63, look at page 62. :)

http://s14.postimg.org/l8zphte01/1910_09_03_Parker_Duofold_Lazard_SEP.jpg

For more resolution, please, clik here

Edited by Lazard 20

Surely a good logo, symbol, or phrase, invokes many associations.

- A white circle can be a pearl, a symbol of pure and simple quality.

- A dot can be associated with the dot that finishes the 'i's as in the phrase cross your T's and dot your I's.

- There can be some mind leakage towards the connotational value of the bull's eye or target as well as many other associations.

- One mental association is that white symbolizes cleanliness and thus could remind one of the whole idea behind the entire company - the cleanliness and lack of smudges thanks to the filling method that allowed for this.

- add to this other possibilites like the full moon, light at the end of a tunnel, any beam of light in the dark, a perfect geometry, Number ONE as seen on a dice.

I think W.A.Sheaffer was aware that strong psychology pulls on many strings simultaneously.

It would be preposterous to argue that we could know with certainty that some association was totally non-existent somewhere in the back of Walter's mind when he thought the white dot was a good visual abbreviation for many good Sheaffer qualities and aspirations.

Precisely !! The truth seems lost in history.

A salesman?, sure? You would not be so sure if you see like Mr. Parker, years before and from page 63, look at page 62. :)

http://s14.postimg.org/l8zphte01/1910_09_03_Parker_Duofold_Lazard_SEP.jpg

For more resolution, please, clik here

Ah, so Parker copied an underwear company? I guess you're right -- Sheaffer might have copied a pipe company.

See what I did there?

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

Really a strawman fallacy here, as no one has taken that position.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Saturday Evening Post; September 3, 1910; pages 62-63

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Looking closely at the Parker Lucky Curve ad one clearly sees an arrow going through the 'bull's eye'.

One also sees the feed is broken, most likely because the arrow hit it.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I believe a Duofold was a sort of sleeper sofa. Penmakers would pilfer ideas from anywhere.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Then there was the Unifold...

As far as I know, that was not appropriated for a pen model. Also a sleeper Davenport, but it extended the long way instead of sideways as with the Duofold.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Daniel Kirchheimer

And there's this:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kJQhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bJgFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1641%2C287966

Duo Fold...Bill Fold...right in the same ad!!

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

At work we have trifold and c-fold paper towels. I'm sure Geo. would have had to visit the loo at some point.

Really a strawman fallacy here, as no one has taken that position.

--Daniel

Indeed no-one has, hence my wording "it would".

Grammatically an imaginative conditional, (as happening in the future).

Not pointing fingers at you Daniel, nor misrepresenting anyone.

In fact quite the opposite, I appreciate, and read with great interest all the fascinating evidence that you so often bring up. Quite a treasure trove.

There is no dispute that you are a prime Sheaffer historian here.

Edited by trauha