Pelikan 400Nn Tortoise

tandaina

"... THE NEXT DAY the lovely ladies at my church gave me an amazing gift and with it I was able to obtain one of my grail pens. :) Rick looked at writing samples and suggested one pen, I sent more writing samples. We went round about stubs or semi flex. I'm glad we settled on the semi-flex.

Rick shipped this puppy FAST. I ordered it I believe Friday the 21st and it was here on the second day of Christmas! Good thing too, I woke up on the 26th with a stomach bug, so this little pen saved the second day of Christmas."

How cool for you! I recall your earlier post and was thinking that if you would be able to complete a transaction with Rick for one of these pens, you would probably be thrilled and possibly more so with a vintage model than with a new pen. I too have bought pens from Rick, a pleasure to do business with.

I have one similar to yours but from the 1950-56 era. I'm a lefty over-writer so flex nibs don't work very well for me, but I installed a custom ground stub nib and the pen turns out not only to be one of the pens most pleasing to look at, it is also one of the most enjoyble to write with.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tandaina

• tinta

• Frank C

• mrul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After writing my question above, I though maybe Rick stands for Richard, as in "Richard"s Pens"?

She is referring to Rick Propas, proprietor of the PENguin site she mentioned. He is not only a deal and authority in Pelikan pens, but pretty well-known collector and dealer. He recently organized the first major pen auction for Swann Galleries, which I believe received some coverage here on FPN.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the info "JonSzanto". The Propas name now rings a bell.

I believe that I consulted a Rick Propas web-site, so that I could identify the pen I paid forward. For all the years I've used that pen I never knew what actual model it was, except that it was a Pelikan.

It was just a tool that lasted very long & worked extremely well.

Cheers: Istvan

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

One of my grail pens is a Pelikan Tortoise shell.

[ .....]

Hi tandaina,

A very nice pen.

And....you can be sure, that your pen with the colored tortoise barrel is unique.

I saw many vintage Pelikan tortoise and all were different colored.

Since Christmas Eve I also have such a pen, Pelikan 400, tortoise/brown.

The nib is OBB. A fantastic flexible one. It's not so easy to write with an OBB. But after some training

it is a amazing nib with an amazing writing picture.

My one is from 1950 - 1956. You can identify it: no imprint in the cap ring, ebonit ink feed, imprint

on the barrel (at the end of the barrel near the filling knop).

First I also thought that it is a black cap.....you are right, it is a nice dark brown.

It was love at the first sight......

Happy New Year to all

Thomas

post-96861-0-27921300-1356824181.jpg

post-96861-0-99430200-1356824249.jpg

Thomas, that is a nice pen collection you have. You also have a very nice amateur radio station!

Regards,

KE7GZL

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thomas, that is a nice pen collection you have. You also have a very nice amateur radio station!

Regards,

KE7GZL

Hi,

it is a small collection. Even not a collection...only a small amount of pens :-)

The station is also collection of the last 32 years amateur radio...

HNY and may be we meet us at the bands....73!

Thomas

Beautiful pen, tandaina!! I have a vintage 400, that looks just like yours that is really sweet and a black and green striped one from the early 80's that is lovely as well. I rejoice with you in the generosity of God's people! Seems you are already enjoying your new pen, so keep doing that! Happy New Year!

Regards, Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, purchased a 400NN in the tortoise. I don't think my M nib sounds as flexy as yours. My first Tortoise was the newer M600 White. One of the beautiful pens. It writes so smoothly. The best writer I have in my collection. I love Pelikans. Yes, 800s are too large for me, too. I would love to hold the new one and also the 1000 for fun. Enjoy your 400NN.

One of my grail pens is a Pelikan Tortoise shell.

[ .....]

Hi tandaina,

A very nice pen.

And....you can be sure, that your pen with the colored tortoise barrel is unique.

I saw many vintage Pelikan tortoise and all were different colored.

Since Christmas Eve I also have such a pen, Pelikan 400, tortoise/brown.

The nib is OBB. A fantastic flexible one. It's not so easy to write with an OBB. But after some training

it is a amazing nib with an amazing writing picture.

My one is from 1950 - 1956. You can identify it: no imprint in the cap ring, ebonit ink feed, imprint

on the barrel (at the end of the barrel near the filling knop).

First I also thought that it is a black cap.....you are right, it is a nice dark brown.

It was love at the first sight......

Happy New Year to all

Thomas

post-96861-0-27921300-1356824181.jpg

post-96861-0-99430200-1356824249.jpg

Fantastic collection :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: . Many thanks for sharing.

I rarely read the reviews, I fear, so apologies for not having responded earlier. Thanks to Dr. Codfish and tandaina for their kind comments.

Just to pick up the pelican theme, it was part of the Wagner family crest and was incorporated into the company logo in the mid-late 1800s. Seems an appropriate maker for Protestant clergy though I have provided pens for the composition of a couple of Roman Catholic licensate theses.

Edited by Rick Propas

very nice christmas present

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• 1 year later...