Pelikan 400Nn Tortoise

tandaina

One of my grail pens is a Pelikan Tortoise shell. I saw pictures of a few very early in my Fountain Pen Fever and fell in love. However, I quickly learned they're not cheap. So it went on my grail pen list and I figured it would sit there a long, long time.

I had mentioned in the new Pelikan Tortoise thread that this was a heart pen for me and Rick (of The PENguin, no relation) sent me a message letting me know he had a number of tortoise pens of various models in stock whenever I was ready to snag my pen. I sadly told him that it would be a while. Then THE NEXT DAY the lovely ladies at my church gave me an amazing gift and with it I was able to obtain one of my grail pens. :) Rick looked at writing samples and suggested one pen, I sent more writing samples. We went round about stubs or semi flex. I'm glad we settled on the semi-flex.

Rick shipped this puppy FAST. I ordered it I believe Friday the 21st and it was here on the second day of Christmas! Good thing too, I woke up on the 26th with a stomach bug, so this little pen saved the second day of Christmas. ;)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8080/8314802549_ea59265225_b.jpg

IMG_0449 by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

That folks is what an antique gold nib can do. I lament that no one makes nibs like this anymore. I'd gladly pay a premium for them. The nib is a dream. With no pressure it skates a very fine line across the page, but easily puts down a nice wide line when asked and springs back to fine. It has yet to rail road (though I'm not likely to ever push it that hard), doesn't start hard, and is nice and smooth, especially for a fine nib!

The body is just beautiful. The tortoise is a warm honey color with little highlights of browns, reds, etc:

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/Other/Pens/i-NWHS8MV/0/XL/DSC04533-XL.jpg

The brown cap and blind cap are so dark brown that in the photos on the site I assumed they were black, they're not and it makes all the difference. This pen is just warm and inviting. Like honey and melted chocolate. The pen is 50s vintage and has the pelikan with two chicks engraved on the cap, though not painted so you better have good ideas to make them out. It is quite a bit bigger than the modern M200/M400. But still light and slender enough for me to use happily. In the close macro images you can see little scratches on the pen body, but I can't really see them with the unaided eye.

There are two small cracks on the blind cap, they don't affect its use but I will NOT be posting the cap and will be careful to not tighten the blind cap too tightly.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/Other/Pens/i-DVpVJPj/0/XL/DSC04545-XL.jpg

This macro shot really shows the advantage of the Fine flexible nib. See the swirls below the pen.

The tortoise body, the flexi nib. An amazing Christmas present, I'll be writing the thank you note with this pen. What a gift to cross off a grail pen and have it be better than I imagined. I didn't know old Pelikans could be FLEXIBLE! :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tandaina

• tinta

• Frank C

• thott

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations!

That is virtually an identical pen I gifted to my wife last year, as only her second FP. It really is lovely. The funny thing is, knowing that the 400NN in Tortoise was a bit more of a rarity, she hesitates to post it (the pen was in mint condition). So, I managed to surprise her this Christmas with a 'matching' 400NN in green stripes. This one, too, in flawless condition, but I think she'll feel ok about posting.

Now all I have left is this: the original came as a set, with matching pencil and a neat green 'alligator' case. I'm feeling like I have to get her one of the ballpoints in tortoise to complete the set.

Then again, I'm the pen nut, not her; I should probably leave it alone! :)

Have a wonderful time with that pen - they are a joy to write with!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Great pen! What size is the nib? F? Or EF?

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

I had one just like yours but with an oblique double broad nib. This was my one & only good fountain pen for over 42 years.

Two years ago the piston broke, with the repair being more than I could afford.

Though I now prefer regular italics, I have not found a modern nib that has been as good as that OBB.

(The pen was eventually sent off as a PIF , for its parts.)

A flexible nib?

My OBB was as hard as a nail,...its line-width-variation produced by the grind, not the flex.

You've got a real beauty.

Enjoy!

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Congratulations! I almost picked one up from Rick a few months back but found a really nice NOS m400 old style tortoise at a price too good to pass up. I still ant a 400nn in tortoise though;)

That's a real beauty! I usually buy new modern pens, but that one is very appealing. . . .

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Congratulations! Vintage tortoise Pelikans are truly beautiful pens and Rick makes a great job of delivering these wonderful instruments. The only problem is that it is difficult to stop at only one... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I saw the M800 but... the 800s are way too big for me, and the price is outrageous. I'll stick with my little old sweetie at less than half the price.

Sweet pen, congratulations!

BTW, look up "pelican in her piety"

Edited by Uncle Red

My parish (I'm an Episcopal priest) actually has a Pelican in her piety window. It's one of the buds in our rose window at the back of the nave. :)

Will you fill your new Pelikan with Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink and use it for its intended purposes in the Parish Register?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Lovely pen. It's on my list for one day too. I have an M400 in tortoise but much prefer the old shape ( though I can't say I'm not tempted by the 800 release). The secon fp I ever bought was a 400nn in the green stripe which I loved and subsequently lost so have sort of pined after another ever since but if I ever replace it it will definitely be tortoise.

You're doing very well in the new pen department! Another great pen and you bought it from a great guy.

happyberet.gif

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Please excuse my ignorance, but who is Rick?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Rick is a member here, maybe he'll comment. His website is The PENguin. (www.thepenguinpen.com) He mostly sells Pelikans and Parkers. His Pelikans make me DROOL. (No affiliation, just happy customer)

Thanks "tandaina".

After writing my question above, I though maybe Rick stands for Richard, as in "Richard"s Pens"?

I know of him & his fine web-site, but have not yet dealt with him.

But,..it's someone else. I'll try your link.