I Broke My Nakaya

Susan3141

Hi all,

Here's an update.

Nakaya asked Nibs.com to send the pen. So, I guess that means that they will try to repair it or replace it. I still don't really know.

So, I sent my precious off blanketed in bubble wrap to Los Angeles for her even longer trip to Japan. The UPS lady looked at me strangely when I asked to see her put the packing sticker on the package. In fact, she said that she was going to have to put it in a bigger box. So I didn't actually see it stickered. I should have insisted upon staying and watching that process, but I didn't want her to see me cry. Only other pen addicts would understand.

I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• watch_art

• Susan3141

• Soulmaker1

Hi Suzy

I really feel your pain and I know I would also be very upset if the same thing had happened to me.

I hope that Nakaya provide you with a satisfactory solution and will look forward to hearing what happens

That's great news! Glad that Nakaya is being proactive in helping you. This is truly the best advertising a company can have. Excellent customer service and support is what will get any company new customers. I haven't purchased a Nakaya yet, but this may sway me over, especially if they take care of this issue.

Best of luck, and hope it all works out!

Edited by Soulmaker1

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

So, I sent my precious off blanketed in bubble wrap to Los Angeles for her even longer trip to Japan.

Ah, the bittersweet start of a happy ending. Time to buy more pens. You know it will make you feel better.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I, too, feel your pain. Good luck!

My favorite little MB 234 1/2 fell out of my pocket when I was getting out (or into) the car at a pen posse, and it cracked on the end of the piston barrel. FarmBoy did his best and most patient chemical welding and it looked all ready to go... and then it re-cracked. Such a short fall and such damage when it hits just so "wrong".

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I am certain that the skills and professionalism of Nibs.com and Nakaya will come up with a good solution, as they did with my Blue Dragon back in Januray. It may not be quick, but it will make your pen a moon cat that purrs again in your hand.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

Oh no! That is absolutely heartbreaking!

I'm so glad Nibs.com and Nakaya are helping. Surely they will be able to make a new cap and your beautiful pen will be whole again.

Hi,

Wow! I hope everything works out for you. We do often get very attached to our pens, don't we?

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Oh no. I was heartbroken before I even read what had happened. I'm so sorry to hear that. Due to meeting Ether at the Atlanta Pen show Nakaya is now my grail pen and I had been drooling over the same one you bought.

Very pleased to hear that nibs.com and Nakaya are taking care of this, please keep us updated.

Such a shame and on your first day un-boxing it too. I'm sure after reading your post loads of us will be taking extra special care of our pens.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hang in there Suzyq - You've already shown incredible patience in waiting to open your pen. This little journey to Japan and back will be over before you know it. I can just imagine your joy when that day arrives and your Nakaya is safely back in your hands.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

What an unlucky fall! I can remember dropping a Nakaya Piccolo and a Danitrio Genkai before (the latter on concrete, ouch) but they came out with, if any, very superficial damage. A Delta Dolce Vita was an entirely different matter... But I'll be even more careful with my Nakayas from now on.

Nobody enjoys an experience like this, but I'm sure everything will turn out all right and your pen will return to you in flawless condition.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

• 2 weeks later...

Nakaya have done a good thing, taking the whole pen back for a fresh start. None of my pen accidents compare with the shock of this story.

Can't wait for the new photos, difficult to take with shaking hands. Two words: 1. careful 2. tripod

I wish you much happiness unwrapping your new pen again, and a lifetime of enjoyment from your beautiful Piccolo.

• 3 years later...

I wonder how this story ended. I have a Nakaya Writer Portable which has had a crack in the cap since several years. It is not broken, and the screwing works. The crack had been growing longer. Nakaya asked me to send them the pen. Yesterday they told me there are two "solutions": 1) repair it by a string roll method, for 270 US, with few chances that the thing might work for a long time because of the crack, and 2) a new cap for 250 and a new barrel for 220. Why also the new barrel? I am waiting for their answer. Anyway, I paid 380 for this pen in 2005. Am I going to pay 570 for it to have it again as new, but with the same very very used nib? I don't think so. I can keep this pen, use it with some magic scotch tape or something similar, and buy a new pen with half the money of this repair. But my cap is not broken, luckily. What happened with your cap. If you paid 1000 for the pen, perhaps you paid about 350 for a new cap. I cannot see any other solution with Nakaya. Retroactive luck...

I wonder how this story ended. I have a Nakaya Writer Portable which has had a crack in the cap since several years. It is not broken, and the screwing works. The crack had been growing longer. Nakaya asked me to send them the pen. Yesterday they told me there are two "solutions": 1) repair it by a string roll method, for 270 US, with few chances that the thing might work for a long time because of the crack, and 2) a new cap for 250 and a new barrel for 220. Why also the new barrel? I am waiting for their answer. Anyway, I paid 380 for this pen in 2005. Am I going to pay 570 for it to have it again as new, but with the same very very used nib? I don't think so. I can keep this pen, use it with some magic scotch tape or something similar, and buy a new pen with half the money of this repair. But my cap is not broken, luckily. What happened with your cap. If you paid 1000 for the pen, perhaps you paid about 350 for a new cap. I cannot see any other solution with Nakaya. Retroactive luck...

She went with the string roll repair method, back in 2013, the cost for that was $90.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/238382-my-broken-nakaya-moon-cat/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/246743-enjoying-the-moon-cat-nakaya-piccolo-review-a-story-of-love-loss-and-restoration/

Edited by zchen

2) a new cap for 250 and a new barrel for 220. Why also the new barrel?

The reason is related to how Urushi is prepared. It is made in small batches and matching colors is nearly impossible.

Ask them if they could do just a cap but in a contrasting color and still use your existing body.

My Website

Happy Susan 3141. Now I see I should have sent the pen to Nakaya in 2013. I will insist in the cap only solution. The color of my pen is black, entirely black. But the idea of a contrasting color is quite interesting. I will take it into account. Thanks.