• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• watch_art

• Susan3141

• mhosea

I'm really sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully you have household insurance or insurance via the credit card used to pay for the pen which might cover all or part of the cost of a new cap.

Good luck

Jon

I am so so sorry for you and do hope that it can be replaced. I am sure they can do it, but the feeling you had at the moment you realized what you had done, will be with you for awhile.

I did something similar with a new Bexley that I had just received,

I had filled it and set it down on the counter top. It rolled off and the barrel cracked exactly where the threads ended at the barrel.

I yelled at myself for countless hours, trying to figure out what to do. Fortunately, I guess, the break was perfectly circular and smooth so I decided to try the SuperGlue fix. Success, and it has held so far. Knock on wood.

So, I commiserate with you and the best therapy will be when you have the replacement part in your hand and begin to write with it.

Hex, aka George

I'm so sorry to hear about your pen...

I don't know if this would be any consolation, but many prized ceramic vessels in Japan were lovingly mended with a technique called kintsugi. The Freer Gallery had a exhibition on this technique a few years back:

My link

Here are some examples in the Freer Collection:

My link

My link

I wonder if the good people at Nakaya could mend the pen with clear lacquer so that the crack would be hardly noticeable?

Please do keep us posted!

Hi,

Ouch!! That must have been devastating. To put this in perspective, no one died or was injured. It's a pen...Just a pen...Just a VERY SPECIAL pen...

That won't stop one from crying over it. I probably would do the same if I had a pen like that that was damaged. I hope they can repair it. Knowing them, that should be possible. Neither of my Nakaya pens have their original nibs. I nib on one of mine was changed from a two-toned nib to a single toned nib, and the other was replaced from a yellow gold nib, to a rhodium plated one, then to another rhodium plated one. It cost me lot of money because I had to pay full price for each nib, and I didn't even get to keep my old one.

Dillon

Then why bother? Wouldn't it have only been a little more expensive to get the entire pen?

It's a valid question, but the bodies weren't your garden variety bodies you can buy from just anyone. They were fully customized and had additional artwork as well. The bodies cost many times more than the nibs. It's like the pen in question that got damaged. It's cheaper to repair than to replace. Even if you have to pay to get it repaired.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Still Dillon - you could buy your garden variety Nakaya, with the nib you want, and have two pens and two nibs and have paid a fair price for all of it. The way you had to do things, you paid extra and got to keep nill.

Oh, Suzy. . . I feel your pain! I had a Pelikan M625 and a Pelikan M900 Toledo break on me. Both had to go to Germany to be fixed/replaced. The Toledo was repaired the M625 replaced. Only price I paid was shipping to Chartpak. They are so wonderful. I can't imagine Nakaya won't help make your Moon Cat right again. May take time, but at least it will come back again! And the cat jumped over the moon.

Fair winds and following seas.

Hi,

I certainly hope the pen can be fixed so that you can enjoy it. I hope you don't have to pay too much to get it repaired if anything. As with anything, it's always a judgement call as to what to do about something that is broken. I my case, it was much more economical to get my nibs replaced since I don't have space for any new Nakaya pens and tend to get sentimentally attached to certain pens.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Ouch! So especially tough to happen with a brand new pen! Sometimes a pen just hits in a certain way, and a tile floor, oh dear. Recently I had a favorite pen fall flat on a hardwood floor and the section broke clean off the barrel. Very sentimental pen yet not expensive like your Moon Cat.

Hang in there.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

most materials will break if they hit a hard floor JUUUUST right...

For pens pretty much the only exceptions are metals. Micarta and other fibre reinforced plastics would also be be awfully hard to damage. Now just imagine a porcelain Montblanc or Sailor dropping onto a hard floor....

:yikes:

Offering most sincere sympathies, gawd, those photos are painful to look at.

Yes, I know the feeling, I destroyed a gorgeous vintage Montblanc, dropped and damaged another perfect Montblanc, and lost my favorite Omas.

In each case, I forced myself to replace the pens immediately.

I've only heard great compliments about nibs.com, so hopefully a new cap will be on it's way to you soon.

If it were me, I would send the whole pen back, trade it in and start all over.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Ugh, that's brutal. My heart would drop if I were in that situation... here's to hoping that they will sort it out for you!

Waterman Phileas F - Parker 51 Blue Diamond Vac - Esterbrook J 9788 (Extra Flex M) - Esterbrook J 2314M (Relief M Stub) - Lamy Safari XF - Hero 616

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Very sorry to hear about your pen. Fountain pens are very personal items and become "part of the family". I have dropped several of my Nakayas at work. They all survived without any visible damage.

Ebonite is a fairly durable material, which is, in part, why it is used in pens. Yours appears to have broken at the beginning of the threads--always a potential weak spot. I would think that Nakaya will do what they can to fix your pen.

When I read your post, I went to check my Nakayas. Most were resting quietly in their kimonos. But one of them, a heki-tamenuri decapod with a broad nib was sneaking out of his. I put him back in and tied the kimono up after showing him your picture of what can happen. He is a writer and a decapod, so I don't think he would have gone too far. He may have been trying to get closer to a demure araishu piccolo with a fine nib. She is the latest addition and I may not have warned her sufficiently about some of her siblings!

See what i mean, "part of the family".

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I had a new Sheaffer Balance II that had a very unusual tiger stripe pattern in the resin. The first week, I tried to unscrew the cap and the cap broke, right along one of the tiger stripes. I tried to epoxy it back together, but it didn't come close to working.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Hi,

I'll also come back to echo the sentiment that these pens are quite durable. Mine have survived a few drops and they are still like they were when they were new. They were capped when it happened, but the material is generally quite durable. Once it is fixed again, I don't think you have to worry.

Dillon

Dillon

I had a new Sheaffer Balance II that had a very unusual tiger stripe pattern in the resin. The first week, I tried to unscrew the cap and the cap broke, right along one of the tiger stripes. I tried to epoxy it back together, but it didn't come close to working.

The tiger eye Balance II is beautful, but they (and the other patterned Balance II's as well) are infamous for cracking.

I truly mourn this temporary loss with you, I would be just as devastated as you are feeling if it happened to me. I don't think ebonite is a very brittle substance, perhaps the hardness of the Urushi Lacquer was able to transmit the shock of the fall in a way that wouldn't have happened to a hard rubber pen minus this very durable coating material ? The combining of differing materials can sometimes change the structural nature of the base material. I hope that Nakaya will be able to help you in a satisfactory way.

Michael

Edited by mbradley

most materials will break if they hit a hard floor JUUUUST right...

For pens pretty much the only exceptions are metals. Micarta and other fibre reinforced plastics would also be be awfully hard to damage. Now just imagine a porcelain Montblanc or Sailor dropping onto a hard floor....

:yikes:

ABS is also pretty tough and especially impact resistant, but rather opaque—I'm waiting to see if anyone will make a demonstrator out of Trivex which is as tough as polycarbonate but much less prone to stress cracking, is optically clearer, less susceptible to scratching and much more chemical resistant.

Gosh :yikes: I am really sorry to hear of your misfortune Suziq. The title of your post drew me like some awful newspaper headline. Poor thing.

Building on all the good will shown by the good folk here at FPN, we all look forward to hearing that your enquiries of Nakaya/Nibs have been fruitful and that they have met your every expectation. ;) Please keep us informed.

Pavoni.