Noodler's Legal Lapis

mhphoto

Here my review of the fantastic Noodler's Legal Lapis, kindly sponsored by member Jared. Thanks Jared! :thumbup:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/NoodlersLegalLapisMedium.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/NoodlersLegalLapisPensUsed.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/NoodlersLegalLapisDipNib.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/NoodlersLegalLapisObservations.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/NoodlersLegalLapisComparisons.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/NoodlersLegalLapisShading.jpg

Thanks for looking!

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notbob

• tonybelding

• Yoda4561

• mhphoto

Great review. Thanks. This is one of my favorite inks. I think your review will make it clear to others whether or not they want to try it. I bet a lot will.

-David., Ken

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

A great review. This ink reminds me of the 'Prime of the Commons' and Air Corps Blue-Black. There's more feathering and bleed from the P o t C but it has its uses.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Here my review of the fantastic Noodler's Legal Lapis

Thanks for looking!

What timing! I've only recently become weary of blue/blacks in favor of black/greens and black/blue-greens. I've read all the Legal Lapis reviews, but have been hesitant to purchase not knowing the properties (bulletproof, eternal, etc) of this one-off ink. I do love the shading and may even be able to see the sheening ....now that you have my eyeballs all sheeny edjumicated. In fact, I'm now so tuned in to sheen, i can't even use DWS, anymore, without seeing mostly green. The stuff sheens on charcoal briquets, fercrimminysakes! ;)

Anyway, great review, as usual. I'll probably get a bottle, based on overwhelming user rave rating. I jes hope I don't end up with another bottle of strange ink, like Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel, the ink that apparently never dries. Wait a sec..... yep! ....still wet, after 5 days. Great color, but dries like axle grease.

nulla dies sine linea

Great review. Thanks for it.

It's one of my favorite inks.

Time will say nothing but I told you so.

This excellent review was both informative and comprehensive but {{{Oh the Green Shades of Envy}}} a key part of its impact was the fine penmanship. My handwriting resembles footwriting. Now I will have to chain myself to the desk and practice, practice, practice. I was about to start posting some pen comparisons but that idea is cancelled until my scribal efforts improve at least to the point that I won’t totally humiliate myself…

Soennecken: 1932 Rheingold, 510, 412 "click", 101 Lady & S4... Dunn-Pen "Little Red Pump Handle... Waterman: Le Man 100 Sterling & #52 flex... Parker: Duofold Set 1990 & "75" Sterling... Stylomine 303... Moore Fingertip... Mont Blanc 342... Pilot NAMIKI Vanishing Point... Artus... Sheaffer: Snorkel & 5 others. Osmiroid 65:.. MT Swan... Taccia Avante Petrified Wood... Celluloid Eye Droppers: Peerless CHBR, Eagle HBR, & Stratford... & another 90+ indulgences..

. . . . . Those with the Truth, pound the facts : those without, pound the table . . . . .

Thanks for another great review of a unique ink. It's one of my collection of varied blue-black inks on my quest to find the perfect one. I'm still looking, but the bulletproof qualities of Legal Lapis have impressed me.

Tip for members from the EU: Rolf Thiel from missing-pen.de has this ink in stock too (at least in September when I bought a bottle).

Thanks for looking!

What timing! I've only recently become weary of blue/blacks in favor of black/greens and black/blue-greens. I've read all the Legal Lapis reviews, but have been hesitant to purchase not knowing the properties (bulletproof, eternal, etc) of this one-off ink. I do love the shading and may even be able to see the sheening ....now that you have my eyeballs all sheeny edjumicated. In fact, I'm now so tuned in to sheen, i can't even use DWS, anymore, without seeing mostly green. The stuff sheens on charcoal briquets, fercrimminysakes! ;)

Anyway, great review, as usual. I'll probably get a bottle, based on overwhelming user rave rating. I jes hope I don't end up with another bottle of strange ink, like Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel, the ink that apparently never dries. Wait a sec..... yep! ....still wet, after 5 days. Great color, but dries like axle grease.

It's a cellulose reactive bulletproof, similar drying behavior to the standard black but not as feather resistant (but what is). IIRC from tests it's quite possibly the most bulletproof overall ink noodler's makes. If the paper isn't absorbent enough ink left on the surface won't dry, what is absorbed by the paper is there for good. Like bulletproof black, if you need it to dry faster on finer papers just add water.

If the paper isn't absorbent enough ink left on the surface won't dry, what is absorbed by the paper is there for good. Like bulletproof black, if you need it to dry faster on finer papers just add water.

Good to know, as I plan on using the ink on actual court documents, more than likely printed on HP1124. Thank you for this valuable information.

nulla dies sine linea

For a more in depth water soak resiliency test of some various Noodler's blues, see this thread. Legal Lapis did phenomenally well in the water test.

Edited by mhphoto

Thanks for looking!

Legal Lapis is a great ink, but some things to be aware of:

(1) It's a very free-flowing ink

(2) It has a tendency to stain some plastics blue/green

(3) You need to shake the bottle well before use

Not knocking it, I love it, but it has taken me a while to find a pen it is most happy in. I was a bit too wet in my Pelikans but I've now got it in an old Waterman Forum pen (with a nib ground to a stub and converted to an eyedropper) and it is perfect in that pen.

I find it dries OK and is very water-resistant. Feathering isn't a problem once it's in a pen it works well with. Nib creep ranges from a bit to lots, depending on the pen.

If you prefer something a little more well-behaved but similar in terms of colour and being bulletproof you could try "54th Massachusetts" although the colour of that tends to be a bit more to the black/grey and less green that Legal Lapis.

'Cat

:meow:

"Relay"

SignalboxCat

speak truth unto power

I've used Legal Lapis for years, but I've waffled back and forth between liking and disliking it. (Of the three Pendemonium exclusives, my favorite remains Iraqi Indigo/Violet Vote.)

Legal Lapis is one of the wettest inks I've got, which is quite unusual for a blue-black ink. Most of them tend toward dry.

It's a fully waterproof ink. If it fully soaks into the paper (which it usually does pretty easily, due to its wetness), it bonds and becomes smear-proof even if damp.

Like many of the bulletproof/eternal type inks, the bottle does accumulate some sediment, and you'll want to shake it from time to time. You also need to keep the bottle tightly sealed. I believe too much exposure to oxygen will cause it to break down over time (i.e. months, not days).

The color of Legal Lapis gives me fits, as it's hard to categorize, and it tends to look very different when used with various combinations of pen and paper. Sometimes the color can be quite dull. I've largely replaced LL in my regular usage with Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet, which I find more attractive. However, TBB is higher-maintenance ink.

Thank you for great review and the stunning penmanship!

@tonybelding

I haven't inked up a pen with the TBB because of your descriptions of it being a "higher-maintenance" ink. What makes TBB higher maintenance? And would you describe LL as higher maintenance?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for great review and the stunning penmanship!

Thanks! :thumbup:

I haven't inked up a pen with the TBB because of your descriptions of it being a "higher-maintenance" ink. What makes TBB higher maintenance? And would you describe LL as higher maintenance?

I would love to know this too. I've been thinking about having some friends in Houston pick up a bottle of TBB and Alamo's Twilight next time they come to visit.

Buy Alamo's Twilight and Comanche Rouge they are wonderful colors!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

No, LL is not a particularly high-maintenance ink. As "bulletproof" inks go, it's usually trouble-free. (Although I think Violet Vote may be the best-behaved of them all.)

TBB tends to leave deposits of "blue stuff" on nibs and feeds, any place where evaporation occurs. It doesn't rinse off easily, though it's possible to remove with some effort. I've never had a pen clog up with it... or even come close, but that may be because I do keep an eye on it and clean them from time to time.

Just to be very cautious, I generally use TBB in pens that I can easily disassemble and put the parts in a sonic cleaner. I also wouldn't use it in a pen that I think is already prone to drying out... but otherwise I wouldn't be scared of the stuff. It's not going to eat your pens.