J. Herbin Rouge Hematite 1670

mhphoto

Hmm... that's interesting because the original version would sheen even the expensive recycled stuff.

Must have been nice! I can only see gold on the good paper. I've used it on Italian "Florentine" style cream-colored cards, and it's spectacular.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Algester

• JonSzanto

• HalloweenHJB

heres the third reformulation pictures

http://i.imgur.com/gJ3qAbVl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T7nVPw0l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wAoEb0vl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7MVpNgnl.jpg

I'm still amateur at capturing the sheening in fact I had a hard time to capture the sheen at the copier paper because the camera is having a hard time capturing the sheen it has sheen but only on smaller parts of the letter so I made an ink drop the sheen went to the other side of the paper

Hmm... that's interesting because the original version would sheen even the expensive recycled stuff.

I believe you meant to say "the inexpensive" stuff. I agree: the newest formulation is not in the same league as the original, and I can only guess that they are trying to (still) avoid the hassles. The original RH 1670 was a total PITA in terms of pen maintenance, but I have seen no ink that can deliver the properties it did. I'm sorry I no longer have my original bottle, as the latest is... lacking.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

How much water did you add to the dilutions?

???

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I believe you meant to say "the inexpensive" stuff. I agree: the newest formulation is not in the same league as the original, and I can only guess that they are trying to (still) avoid the hassles. The original RH 1670 was a total PITA in terms of pen maintenance, but I have seen no ink that can deliver the properties it did. I'm sorry I no longer have my original bottle, as the latest is... lacking.

rouge hematite is best when used on a very easy to clean pen so I always have it loaded in my Ahab which sometimes is equipped with the standard flex nib and sometimes with a dip nib

rouge hematite is best when used on a very easy to clean pen so I always have it loaded in my Ahab which sometimes is equipped with the standard flex nib and sometimes with a dip nib

This is not news to me. I have used it in many pens. It *would* have been nice to use it in most any pen, but that is part of the "problem" that caused them to reformulate (sadly). I end up using it mostly in dip pens but, as I said, the new version is so much less... fun, that I'm not enthralled with it as I was. A shame, really.

~ Benjamin Franklin

This is not news to me. I have used it in many pens. It *would* have been nice to use it in most any pen, but that is part of the "problem" that caused them to reformulate (sadly). I end up using it mostly in dip pens but, as I said, the new version is so much less... fun, that I'm not enthralled with it as I was. A shame, really.

yeah sadly I didnt catch on the first 1670 actually yeah... I could not have caught on to the original 1670 as I just like recently went back to fps like last year... but I still like the ink for what it is it sheens and thats what matters

yeah sadly I didnt catch on the first 1670 actually yeah... I could not have caught on to the original 1670 as I just like recently went back to fps like last year... but I still like the ink for what it is it sheens and thats what matters

Yes, absolutely. I haven't spent a lot of time with the new bottle: maybe they found a good compromise between a very unique ink that still doesn't make a mess of your pen. The first one, while undeniably lovely, was also quite frequently a big headache.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Original formula top letters. Re-refromulation bottom line. Noticeable difference.

Re-Reformulation - Not as saturated or as much gold / green flecks.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Hmmm... .can one of you with the 3rd version send me a written sample for the 2015 fade test?

Here's a result from 2012.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2012/Subjects/slides/23-2012-10-14_001.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hmmm... .can one of you with the 3rd version send me a written sample for the 2015 fade test?

AmberLea, any specifics, or just a side by side? (I confess to not having followed the fade tests). Let me know and I'll send you something (PM me the address to refresh my memory...)

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

Jon, just send me a letter...send it by mail ... send it in care of ....(address to follow). If you write with it, I can cut a section or cut a page into two halves and post one in the caboose window. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ok, will do. Should be able to put it in the mail no later than Saturday.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Could someone with the newest formulation take a picture of the bottom of the bottle please. I was able to find a picture of the Original formulation and its following formulation. I want to see how the newest formulation compares thank you.

(Original on the left, reformulation on the right)

http://fivecatpenagerie.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/20130525-184933.jpg

Edited by Arabit

Could someone with the newest formulation take a picture of the bottom of the bottle please. I was able to found the Original formulation and its following formulation. I want to see how the newest formulation compares thank you.

(Original on the left, reformulation on the right)

Your left or mine? :huh:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

The left in the photo. You can clearly see all the gold 'sediment' at the bottom of that bottle. I just took a look at my "3rd" variation, and while there is a very thin layer of the gold dust on the bottom, it is almost as absent as the 2nd variation, and therefore accounts for the real lack of sheen and golden look to the dried ink. I was hopeful, but nothing is going to be like that original formula, problems and all.

~ Benjamin Franklin