Empty Akkerman Bottles

brattpitt

Good Grief! I had a complete breakdown this weekend and ordered some Organic Studios "labratory" ink (L Frank Baum Emerald Green) as well as a bottle of Akkerman (their #8, a blue-black that will nicely fit into my bottled ink line up - although I couldn't figure out if it has any iron gall in it, like some people seemed to think) from Vanness. I even emailed Akkerman and asked about the smaller sized bottles, but the response said "only 150 ml, sorry" - it was worth a try. All this, AND two new (old) pens coming via USPS Priority Mail, one from eBay and the other from Greg Minuskin. Thank goodness it's so stinking hot out right now, I've slowed down, come up for air, and am gradually calming down. In with the good ink, out with the bad ink.....

#10 is the Iron Gall ink

#8 is a normal dye based ink, and one of the few blue-black inks I actually like

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayHomeBody

• lapis

• vannesspen

• OakIris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arethere any alternatives to the Montblanc, Akkerman and TWSBI bottles with an ink-filling well? Am I the only one old enough to remember Skrip ink? Here's a photo of the bottle in question: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27006290/scrip-ink-bottle.jpg

I'd find even something like that acceptable.

The Sailor Jentle bottles have the cone insert also. Not really ink wells, but the Pelikan 4001 and Waterman bottles are slanted on the sides so they can be tipped over to get the same effect.

I've found many of the filling wells not to work well with the size of the nibs we see today. I have a Scrip bottle and the Sailor bottles and it seems the fill hole is too high for them. I can get about a half converter filled and then the fill hole is above the ink. Most of the time I can make a MontBlanc bottle work, but sometimes need to put the nib in at an angle. The Akkermann is great.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Exciting news on the anniversary ink bottle project, Mike! Good luck, and let us know how we can support you. The other spectacular ink bottle is the 1938 Wilhelm Wagenfeld design for Pelikan inks, which was the same year Vanness was founded, I believe. FPN contributor ToasterPastry has quite a bit of history on the post below. In my part of the country, Blenko glass is especially well respected.http://www.blenko.comhttp://germanmodernism.com/articles/view/61https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/195964-this-ink-addiction/page-4

image.jpg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 5 years later...
On 12/23/2012 at 8:37 AM, Brian C said:

I have one and I don't much care for it. It seems cheaply made. It's still mostly full. I'll put it up for sale when it is empty.

Hi, is there an update for this post?

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

On 12/26/2012 at 1:52 PM, lapis said:

Since I am an odd-ball, I'll let you you when mine is empty. You can then have it for free. I like their inks and I like fooling around comparing these inks with Diamine's. I'm not all that hot about the bottle itself, because for me it's just too big and cumbersome. It may take a few years, though, till it's empty.

Mike :)

Hi, is there an update for this post?

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

On 10/7/2015 at 11:48 AM, Dhruv_Sood said:

I should be getting 9 bottles of Akkerman ink on Friday. :)

Fun times ahead.

It'll take me a lot of time to finish them though.

Hi, i know it's been a few years, is there an update for this post?