Empty Akkerman Bottles

brattpitt

Anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on an empty Akkerman ink bottle? Or any suitable alternatives?

I have the TWSBI ink bottle but somehow the plastic insert just doesn't quite get all the ink out when its almost empty.

(No offense to speedy though. I love his products. I have 2 TWSBI 540s and 2 ink bottles.)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayHomeBody

• lapis

• vannesspen

• OakIris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Me too!

On a never ending quest for the 'perfect' pen, ink, paper combo... Then again where would the fun be in finding perfection!!

Most people buy the Akkerman inks FOR the bottle, so your search might be a long and hard one. Akkerman bottles are NEVER empty :)

Every now and then, the original predecessors of this Akkerman bottle, (Gimborn Langhals and Baby Langhals) appear on the Dutch Marktplaats, recently affiliated with ebay. Prices vary between €10 to €30 for the bottles alone.

But shipping from the Netherlands is terribly expensive.

I have one and I don't much care for it. It seems cheaply made. It's still mostly full. I'll put it up for sale when it is empty.

Biggest problem with waiting for an empty is that the bottles hold 150ml so it takes a while to use them up!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Since I am an odd-ball, I'll let you you when mine is empty. You can then have it for free. I like their inks and I like fooling around comparing these inks with Diamine's. I'm not all that hot about the bottle itself, because for me it's just too big and cumbersome. It may take a few years, though, till it's empty.

Mike :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Is there anybody out there who can tell me why I occasionaly get a dupe here? Does it have anything to do with the content of the note?

Mike :(

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 7 months later...

I agree with what was said about a market for these types if ink bottles. Also, I have seen pictures showing smaller sizes than the 150mg one that is being sold here on the FPN. If the price was right, I'd buy enough empty bottles to put all my favorite inks into!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I think Vanness Pens in Little Rock, Arkansas, sells Akkermann inks. You might buy a bottle of ink and get the bottle, instead of waiting a long time until when an empty bottle becomes available.

Good Grief! I had a complete breakdown this weekend and ordered some Organic Studios "labratory" ink (L Frank Baum Emerald Green) as well as a bottle of Akkerman (their #8, a blue-black that will nicely fit into my bottled ink line up - although I couldn't figure out if it has any iron gall in it, like some people seemed to think) from Vanness. I even emailed Akkerman and asked about the smaller sized bottles, but the response said "only 150 ml, sorry" - it was worth a try. All this, AND two new (old) pens coming via USPS Priority Mail, one from eBay and the other from Greg Minuskin. Thank goodness it's so stinking hot out right now, I've slowed down, come up for air, and am gradually calming down. In with the good ink, out with the bad ink.....

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Vanness Pens sells Akkerman inks? :yikes: There is nothing on the Vanness website showing they have the ink and I thought the only way to get the inks - and the bottles - was to buy directly from the Akkerman store in The Hague. The last I heard, which was earlier this year, they had no distributors and no intention of ever having any. It would be wonderful to be able to buy the ink here in the USA instead of having to wait for a group buy in order to help defray the shipping costs. I would like another color or two. Do you have to call Vanness Pens for a special order, or...?

I, too, love the bottles and wish there was a source for smaller ones. It would be very nice to decant inks that come in "bad" bottles - too small, can't get all of the ink out of them without using a syringe, etc. - into these very useful bottles instead. I have begun to buy vintage Skrip ink bottles for this purpose, but smaller Akkerman-type bottles would be even nicer.

I am surprised by heraclitus682's comment that he thinks the bottles are cheaply made. Not sure what a "cheaply made" glass bottle would feel like, but mine is made of nice thick glass, the plastic lid is sturdy and I love the design of the bottle, so I have no complaints. Like most, I plan to keep the bottle whenever - if ever - I empty it of ink!

Holly

vanness1938 posted on the For Sale section of FPGeeks that they were selling Akkerman inks.

... and has a listing in the FPN classifieds now as well.

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

We were asked by Akkerman not to put it on our website - or on Amazon etc.. They are a small operation and not equipped for us- so the only way to order is by email or calling us. I am looking for a company in the US to produce a similar bottle ( we have a different vintage bottle in mind- slightly smaller) - but every one so far says it will take 6 months or more to create a sample.

Vanness

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

vanness1938 posted on the For Sale section of FPGeeks that they were selling Akkerman inks.

... and has a listing in the FPN classifieds now as well.

We were asked by Akkerman not to put it on our website - or on Amazon etc.. They are a small operation and not equipped for us- so the only way to order is by email or calling us. I am looking for a company in the US to produce a similar bottle ( we have a different vintage bottle in mind- slightly smaller) - but every one so far says it will take 6 months or more to create a sample.

Vanness

Wonderful news! I will begin to save my pennies. :D I only have a bottle of the Shocking Blue but there are several other colors I would like to try.

I do hope that a glass manufacturer will come through for you and be able to produce a smaller Akkerman-type ink bottle. (A smaller Gimborn "Baby Langhais"-type ink bottle, really, since the original design was used by (and designed by?) the Gimborn Ink Company, as Shaughn mentioned.) You would then have the opportunity to sell the bottles separately - :drool: - and, given the OK by Akkerman and assuming this is your plan, make smaller, more affordable, bottles of the lovely inks available as well. A win-win situation for our hobby and for your business; I would imagine Akkerman's would be pleased as well!

Holly

Wonderful news! I will begin to save my pennies. :D I only have a bottle of the Shocking Blue but there are several other colors I would like to try.

I do hope that a glass manufacturer will come through for you and be able to produce a smaller Akkerman-type ink bottle. (A smaller Gimborn "Baby Langhais"-type ink bottle, really, since the original design was used by (and designed by?) the Gimborn Ink Company, as Shaughn mentioned.) You would then have the opportunity to sell the bottles separately - :drool: - and, given the OK by Akkerman and assuming this is your plan, make smaller, more affordable, bottles of the lovely inks available as well. A win-win situation for our hobby and for your business; I would imagine Akkerman's would be pleased as well!

Holly

I am going to market in Dallas in two weeks armed with pictures- and an old bottle- but was turned down by small glass company recently...... I am on a mission - I will perservere. We want something for our 75th Anniversary celebration. We haven't decide which inks to use yet- may do custom inks with US company- keep the price down. :)

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938