Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue Custom Tuned By Yoshida-San Of Nakaya

studiohead

Hello All,

After spending SGD$272.00 at Aesthetic Bay Singapore, I am now the proud owner of a Mr. Shinichi Yoshida of Nakaya-tuned Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue with a Medium Fine Nib.

[flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786]width="400" height="225" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=132921507f&photo_id=8226027279" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"

As part of the Nakaya/Platinum Pen Clinic hosted by Aesthetic Bay and Mr. Tan Fong Kum which recently joined Fountain Pen Network, after 1 day of thinking and hesitation I decided to put down the money to purchase the 3776 Century Chartres Blue after Mr. Yoshida-san tuned both my 3776 Century Black Soft Fine and 3776 Century Bougogne Medium on the first day of the clinic to be one of the best writing instruments that I owned. Mr. Yoshida-san informed me that this would be this Chartres Blue he has worked on and the staff of Platinum and President Mr. Toshiya Nakata-san confirmed that this is the first pen which was sold by them as the launch of the product is next month and I got it 4 days early with the tuning included. So happy to say, I am delighted and very happy to be the first owner of such a product.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8202/8227091602_03518d7643.jpg

Yosida-san tuning first 3776 Century Chartres Blue Sold by sunny_koh, on Flickr

Mr. Yoshida-san is a very hard worker, on the first day of the clinic, he worked from 11am to 7pm with a single toilet break while on the second day, he did not break for at all and I was the last customer at about 7pm after purchasing the pen at ablout 5:30pm due to being in the queue. I am very impressed by the method in which he used the grinding and polishing stones to tuned the nib which is different from what I know other would have used like Richard Binder who uses fiber optic grade micromesh. Something about the connection to Samurai Swordcraft I think.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8338/8227091396_6c84a2bf9d.jpg

Yosida-san tuning first 3776 Century Chartres Blue Sold by sunny_koh, on Flickr

Of the 3 pens which I have asked him to work on, the first was to make a standard black 3776 Century to have more flex, the second and the one that I really enjoy is the 3776 Century Bougogne Medium which I was for more smoothness and a wetter flow while I asked Mr. Yoshida-san to take the 3776 Century Chartres Blue to a Medium Fine with a wet flow. He told me that in order to get the wet flow for the Bougogne, he changed my feed from a regular Medium feed to that of a broad and this was not needed for my Chartres Blue as the feed is enough for a Medium. It turns out that Platinum has a slightly different feed for their broads and larger while a feed for Mediums and smaller. There was a fair amount of work to be done as most of the time, the stroke that people used was from left to right & top and down. After one round of checking, I request it to be smoother for a right to left direction as I do alot of block lettering. So right now, I have the prefect 3776 Pen.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8210/8227092832_8d7483c1a3.jpg

Platinum Box by sunny_koh, on Flickr

The 3776 Century Chartres Blue comes in a standard Platinum box considering it is not a limited edition but regular production pen

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8226021283_6625b4b8cd.jpg

Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue Box by sunny_koh, on Flickr

To celebrate the launch the first 2,000 will received a number bolting paper card. (My is number 885) and the first 5,000 will receive a rubber stamp which reads, "Written using Platinum Pigment Ink". Mr. Nakata-san says I should use Pigment ink to complement my 3776 Century.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8057/8227092098_13c1e82f4e.jpg

Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue by sunny_koh, on Flickr

The Color of the pen is that of a darker blue which looks very formal and it is hard to tell from a far that it is a demonstrator I feel that it has that it will not call attention to itself but for people who look closer can enjoy the translucent details.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8061/8227091804_0bca874ef9.jpg

Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue by sunny_koh, on Flickr

The recommended retail price is confirmed by Platinum at 10,500 Yen which is about USD$128.00 and since it is a regular production item, I hope that people onto eBay and start bidding crazy prices. I paid the USD$222 for the pen but it is to support Aesthetic Bay bringing Mr. Yoshida-san in tuning my Platinum Pens and the privilege to be among the first (little did I know I am the first) to own one.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• studiohead

• ychung

• jde

• quinden

Another great story! Congratulations on your Platinums tuned to your perfection!

I would so love to have that in-person experience with the Nakaya master.

These truly are my favorite nibs.happyberet.gif

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

harlow sunny..... you got a lot out of this pen clinic huh?

:thumbup:

yvonne

Sar gai

I bring bring tomorrow can or not, let you play play.

Gui Tiam makan?

roflmho.gif

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

harlow sunny..... you got a lot out of this pen clinic huh?

:thumbup:

yvonne

Sar gai

I bring bring tomorrow can or not, let you play play.

Gui Tiam makan?

roflmho.gif

Translation

3 pieces,

I will bring them tomorrow

What time would you be going for dinner

(Forgot there is the angmo here which don't understand Singlish)

its the last day of the pen clinic tomorrow... sigh! makes me want to buy a plane ticket to tokyo next year to attend the nakaya events.... :rolleyes:

I will aim to be there at 7 or slightly after. see you. it will be fun.

Congratulations, studiohead! The Chartres Blue 3776 is beautiful, and your experience with Yoshida-san sounds great :thumbup:

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

I saw the advert for the Blue 3776 outside AB today.

Wandered in to take a look...and left with a tuned up Bougogne as my first Platinum :P The blue was nice but red's my favourite colour :lol:

I really respect the dedication that Yoshida-san showed when he was grinding and tuning the pens that were passed to him. The staff commented that he never left the chair for a meal/toilet break/water (still had a full water bottle tucked under the table in the evening). The way he takes the time to grind and smooth every single nib to each customer's whim and fancy is just admirable.

I saw the advert for the Blue 3776 outside AB today.

Wandered in to take a look...and left with a tuned up Bougogne as my first Platinum :P The blue was nice but red's my favourite colour :lol:

I really respect the dedication that Yoshida-san showed when he was grinding and tuning the pens that were passed to him. The staff commented that he never left the chair for a meal/toilet break/water (still had a full water bottle tucked under the table in the evening). The way he takes the time to grind and smooth every single nib to each customer's whim and fancy is just admirable.

He only opened that bottle after he finish my pen. Hope he enjoys dinner, I heard dinner tonight was seafood. The red is nice but I feel abit like a showy colour. Something not so appropriate for signing Memorandum of Understanding between 2 country trade associations which I may have to do sometimes. I do have it and it is my internal document signing pen. After signing a stack of cheques and documents in the afternoon, I told myself, I want another one hence went back and get the Chartres Blue. Mr. Tan said that it was highly amusing that as a businessman to enjoy signing a stack of cheques is something else. Mr. Yoshida-san made a pen which turned a extremely dry Noodler's Honourable Blue (Bulletproof of course) into something wet and smooth.

Thanks for sharing this story, Studiohead! (I wish I could visit Singapore soon, but I'm afraid I'll leave with more pens and a lot less money! ;) )

I was wondering what this pen would look like. The blue is actually a much nicer shade than what I thought...I really hope you enjoy the pen!

Thanks for sharing this story, Studiohead! (I wish I could visit Singapore soon, but I'm afraid I'll leave with more pens and a lot less money! ;) )

I was wondering what this pen would look like. The blue is actually a much nicer shade than what I thought...I really hope you enjoy the pen!

I was enjoying the pen, but now it is drying as Mr. Yoshida used a standard Platinum Blue Cartridge to tuned the pen and left it in there. I wrote with it then flushed it as I believe there is some better ink to do the pen justice. Currently it is drying in my office. Wondering what ink should I be using. Should I use my signature Iroshizuku Kon-Peki or something else. Mr. Nakata-san says I should use pigment ink but really, something that brings out the joy of this pen. Any suggestions from the popcorn gallery?

In case people cannot see the video here is a link to flickr.

Wow... really great job documenting the Yoshida-san experience!

Love the color of that pen. thumbup.gif

Just to let everyone know, been there for the third and final day. Mr. Yoshida-san did not move away from his desk from 11am till about 9pm. I really admire his work ethic. Would want to take this chance to thank Mr. Tan Fong Kum for Aesthetic Bay and Mr. Nakata-san of Platinum & Nakaya for organizing this pen clinic. I wish thank safe journey on the way back to Tokyo early tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

A great read, thank you for sharing with us, I have a Platinum President in Bergundy, this new Blue pen is quite elegant.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing... the pen is a work of art. :thumbup:

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• 6 months later...

I am not sure, but possibly Yoshida-san's efforts made a huge difference.

I bought one of these a few months ago, but I didn't like it very much. The medium was fine for a Japanese pen, and was dry, despite my minimalist efforts to adjust the tine separation, and it consistently would fail to write for the first downstroke after being nib-up in my pocket. I was forced to select only certain inks for the pen because it was too dry otherwise. I had wanted to get a sense of the Platinum 14K nib without monkeying with it first, but I finally realized that it was necessary to pull out the stops and just fix it. It is sometimes hard for me to tell by looking whether the curves on a nib amount to "baby's bottom" or not, but the ignition problems this pen had were not acceptable to me, and I surmised that the curves on this tip were just too extreme. So I did my usual light regrind to remove the baby's bottom (just grind off the tops of the cheeks but still leaving some gradient into the slit) and then re-smoothed the nib. The results? A world of difference. I really like it now, and the nib has the expected line width.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.