Help! Going Crazy! Cannot Make Up Mind For Pocket Fp

Xaltotun

Hey! Saludos desde PR!

I also recommend the TWSBI Mini. It's a great pocket pen: small enough but a good size when posted. It's a piston filler with a large ink capacity, compared to CC pens. The transparent version is very practical, as you can always monitor your ink supply. On top of all this you can take it apart and it comes with its own wrench and silicone grease. All this for $50? Awesome. :thumbup:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xaltotun

• chiaroscuro

• Lloyd

• JonSzanto

I've retired my Kaweco sport ever since receiving this baby from watchart. Beautiful and a FANTASTIC XXF nib.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_3645.jpg

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Japan made pocket pen by former Braun designer Dietrich Lubs:

http://www.pen-info.jp/eng_duller.html

v. Transehe: German made pocket pen:

http://www.fountainp...gn-never-leaks/

http://thelounge.me/...at-never-leaks/

My personal favorites: Japanese pocket pens!

http://estilofilos.b...pockets_17.html

Easy to find on eBay with gold or steel nibs. Some years ago I bought one made by Platinum in the 70ies. Excellent writer, very reliable, friction fit caps, so fast to open, posts firmly. Great pen!

I've got the Düller and it's great and -- funny coincidence -- I was also researching the Transehe after seeing it on manufactum, but I think it's overpriced: it seems to have the same Schmidt gold-plated nib as the Düller. That nib, while marked "F" writes much thicker than most fine nibs. It's very smooth but also skips a lot. I wedged a Kaweco F nib onto the original feed and -- though it was a bit tight -- the result is much better than the default nib. I have the A.G. Spalding Mini and I think that one has a very similar Schmidt-made nib that also writes way too thick for a fine (the back of the feed is identical, although the nib is shaped like a Schmidt FH 1 or FH 4 and has a 6.1mm wing span. Conclusion: a lot of "boutique brand" mini pens are more about marketing and design than about writing. IMHO, Kawecos are a better value.

I am also very tempted by the Stipula Passaporto deal I got from a dealer (see my first post above), since they are entirely manufactured in Italy, with what seems to be a fairly hand crafted manufacturing process, semi-industrial (these kind of items are always nicer, in my mind, than mass produced objects). The price I got is also fantastic, close to 50% less than some online stores.

Ask him about the Stipula Bon Voyage. Very similar to the Passaporto, but screws on to post and has a clip.

I believe it takes a cartridge as well, but please verify this - I do not have one, but it's on my wish list!

If you get a GREAT deal from him on a Bon Voyage please do let him know I'm interested as well!

I've retired my Kaweco sport ever since receiving this baby from watchart. Beautiful and a FANTASTIC XXF nib.

Aw, Lloyd, man that is sweet!! He's doing some great work. Are there threads on the bottom of the barrel, or do you just have to use that dinky thing unposted?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The cap screws onto the base. Closed, it's the same length as the Kaweco but posted, its girth makes it feel like a full sized pen (it's 4" long when closed and 5 7/8" long when posted).:bunny01:

Oscar Wilde

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/derpiest-ermahgerd-dog.jpg

Whoa! You just changed my Christmas list

There are 29 days until Christmas but only 12 days until Hanukkah. You might want to convert.

Oscar Wilde

Other options Franklin-Christoph pocket pen - Can be used with cartridges or as an eyedropper

I had made my mind about the black and red one, and even PM'ed Franklin-Christoph, but they are sold out of that color combo. :angry:

Maybe they'll reintroduce it later, but for now, no luck with this one.

Although I must say, the green one is absolutely marvelous also. Probably will end up with one at some point :thumbup:

Edited by Xaltotun

Ask him about the Stipula Bon Voyage. Very similar to the Passaporto, but screws on to post and has a clip.

I believe it takes a cartridge as well, but please verify this - I do not have one, but it's on my wish list!

Indeed, I believe they all take short cartridges. I kinda like the clip-less look, for a 'pure' design.... That blue is so nice.... Not that it seems the Franklin-Christoph color combo that I want is not available (see previous post), I will most likely buy those two Passaportos... Probably next week or so....

So many nice pens, so little time...

I have never been interested in a pocket pen before and this post has really made me think about the idea. After reading all of the great replies in this post, last night I finally broke down and ordered a Kaweco Sport Ice in green. I thought this was a really low cost way to try out a pocket pen.

I have never been interested in a pocket pen before and this post has really made me think about the idea. After reading all of the great replies in this post, last night I finally broke down and ordered a Kaweco Sport Ice in green. I thought this was a really low cost way to try out a pocket pen.

Heheheh, I can bet it won't be your last Kaweco, or your last pocket FP.... They're addictive!!! :lol:

I've got the Düller and it's great and -- funny coincidence -- I was also researching the Transehe after seeing it on manufactum, but I think it's overpriced: it seems to have the same Schmidt gold-plated nib as the Düller. That nib, while marked "F" writes much thicker than most fine nibs. It's very smooth but also skips a lot. I wedged a Kaweco F nib onto the original feed and -- though it was a bit tight -- the result is much better than the default nib. I have the A.G. Spalding Mini and I think that one has a very similar Schmidt-made nib that also writes way too thick for a fine (the back of the feed is identical, although the nib is shaped like a Schmidt FH 1 or FH 4 and has a 6.1mm wing span. Conclusion: a lot of "boutique brand" mini pens are more about marketing and design than about writing. IMHO, Kawecos are a better value.

The design on both the Düller and the Transehe are really attractive, specially to me, who studied Industrial Design (my fetish - and expensive hobbies - for watches, mechanical pencils and FP stems from there :blink:).

But writing is important; and I can't stand dry, or skipping nibs. Also I like F nibs, and usually find EF too thin, and M too thick. So your quick review of these two FP, while very alluring for their design, kinda eliminated those for my "work FP" purpose. But I might still get them for the collection :lol:... Especially the Düller, which I find more fairly priced, with that special notebook making up a lot of the desirability also...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- EDIT =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

While researching the Düller, I found a store that uncannily (1) had it in stock, (2) shipped to Canada for $7 (this is really incredible!) and (3) had a coupon on its web page for a healthy Black Friday or whatnot discount. So I got it for CAD $63 :thumbup:. Provided it is really in stock. We'll see!

Guess that delays my Passaporto purchase; but these will be commonly in stock, whereas I believe finding the Düller at this price is more uncommon...

Edited by Xaltotun

I'm also in the middle of a quest for a pocket FP, so I was wondering; could you update us with your thoughts (and maybe a few pics?) on the Liliput when you get it?

Thanks!

I'm also in the middle of a quest for a pocket FP, so I was wondering; could you update us with your thoughts (and maybe a few pics?) on the Liliput when you get it?

Thanks!

It looks like he went with a Duller, not a Lilliput. But Emu gave some clear thoughts of his experience with it earlier in this thread. If you're interested in the Lilliput there are a couple of reviews under the review section: one by Peheme (no pictures, unfortunately), and one by KrazyIvan (with great pictures!)

FWIW, I haven't used the Lilliput, but I've used the Kaweco Classic Sport (EF) and found it absolutely delightful to write with. If you're looking for a good pocket pen you really can't go wrong with a Sport.

Good luck with your quest thumbup.gif

Edited by tomgartin

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

Other options Franklin-Christoph pocket pen - Can be used with cartridges or as an eyedropper

I had made my mind about the black and red one, and even PM'ed Franklin-Christoph, but they are sold out of that color combo. :angry:

Maybe they'll reintroduce it later, but for now, no luck with this one.

Although I must say, the green one is absolutely marvelous also. Probably will end up with one at some point :thumbup:

Ah, what a shame! It really is a great pen though so I hope they keep producing it.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

This morning I ended up ordering a Liliput in black with F nib for €39 shipped, about $50, which is a great price, almost half if compared to some online stores (PM me for the name of the dealer, if you must). This is for now, to have something pocketable in short notice. If I find it too small, I will probably retire it in the collection and hunt for something else.

I think he did order the Liliput.

It looks like he went with a Duller, not a Lilliput. But Emu gave some clear thoughts of his experience with it earlier in this thread. If you're interested in the Lilliput there are a couple of reviews under the review section: one by Peheme (no pictures, unfortunately), and one by KrazyIvan (with great pictures!)

FWIW, I haven't used the Lilliput, but I've used the Kaweco Classic Sport (EF) and found it absolutely delightful to write with. If you're looking for a good pocket pen you really can't go wrong with a Sport.

Good luck with your quest

I have actually read those reviews already, but I was hoping for more, or at least another point of view. Thanks for posting the links to those reviews though. It saddens me that Jetpens has more reviews for this pen (and for many pens it seems) than FPN. Considering all the collective wisdom on this network it would be great to see more reviews, even if opinions overlap a little. This thread gives me the impression that people like the Franklin Cristoph 40 for example, but alas there are no reviews in the review index :hmm1:

Hi,

I really really like the Stipula Passaporto. It holds a lot of ink and has a very nice size. I used to use the Kaweco sport, but I think the Passaporto is a better choice if you are looking for something to use as an eyedropper.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

The design on both the Düller and the Transehe are really attractive, specially to me, who studied Industrial Design (my fetish - and expensive hobbies - for watches, mechanical pencils and FP stems from there :blink:).

But writing is important; and I can't stand dry, or skipping nibs. Also I like F nibs, and usually find EF too thin, and M too thick. So your quick review of these two FP, while very alluring for their design, kinda eliminated those for my "work FP" purpose. But I might still get them for the collection :lol:... Especially the Düller, which I find more fairly priced, with that special notebook making up a lot of the desirability also...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- EDIT =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

While researching the Düller, I found a store that uncannily (1) had it in stock, (2) shipped to Canada for $7 (this is really incredible!) and (3) had a coupon on its web page for a healthy Black Friday or whatnot discount. So I got it for CAD $63 :thumbup:. Provided it is really in stock. We'll see!

Guess that delays my Passaporto purchase; but these will be commonly in stock, whereas I believe finding the Düller at this price is more uncommon...

Did you get it from vettedshop.com? They ship really fast and the service is great.