Caran D' Ache Amazon

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

☞ As I do not wish to earn the sobriquet 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', image thumbnails are used where indicated. To view those image as intended, kindly left-click its thumbnail.

≈ ¦ ≈

Fidelity

• One can try to compare the ink I used to the depiction on the Caran d'Ache site, LINK.
  • Wiki is mute as to the use of 'Amazon' to describe a colour.

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK753_zpsed45cd0b.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/th_INK756_zps4c3074d0.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: 600, ATX, Prelude.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK757_zpsc8605738.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK758_zps27792f14.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK759_zps0b638561.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK760_zps2b3728fd.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK761_zps676b2f4c.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK763_zps8924da4d.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 9.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/INK755_zps6943c9da.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Simple dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Unlikely.

A go-to ink?

• When one is of a celebratory frame of mind.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• A special use ink - perhaps to add a personal touch to lateral / downward casual notes of an affirming nature. (I struggled to write that one.)
  • A fine choice for those whose profession, rank or position mandates the use of Green ink LINK; and those who use a range of colours on a routine basis, especially for 'colour coded' work.
  • Will do the necessary for mark-up & editing, and work that is meant to be emphasised without causing alarm.
  • May be considered by those who believe that Red ink is 'ego-shredding', so should not be used for error correction & grading of student work. Yet in workplaces with which I am familiar, Green = Go, so for fear of sending mixed or incoherent signals, I'd certainly not use Amazon for error correction in the workplace.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Certainly.
  • Decidedly Green, with little Brown or Yellow undercurrent.
  • Most welcome on charts & graphs as a definitive Green.
  • Very high line quality supports use for taut lines and tiny labels.
  • Dilutes to a pleasant tone, without becoming too pastel.
  • Water resistance is very low, but left a pale Blue artefact on HPJ1124, so if contemplating reworking dry ink with wet media, it may be best to run samples.

Students:

• Not really.

Personal:

• To be clear, having been traumatised by Lamy Green, I am somewhat adverse to Green ink. Yet I've cultivated a working relationship with Sailor Epinard, and MB Racing Green is still most welcome. So there is a sense that I am recovering, albeit slowly. Consequently, I rely on other Members to chime in with their jolly experiences with this ink.
  • Far too nice for pro forma personal business writing; instead use whatever default Blue is to hand.*
  • At present, I am reluctant to use Amazon for more than a note of the sort enclosed in a greeting card.
  • Perhaps best suited to short personal notes, that do not touch upon unpleasant or overly dour matters.

__ __ __

Especially in the UK, use of Green ink to write public figures or members of the fourth estate has the connotation that the author is somewhat out of sorts, barking mad even.
However, IMHO, writing in Green ink shows better form than black-hatting their cyberspace thingies.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Moderate.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not experienced.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• About average.
  • Use on the hard textured G Lalo was OK.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Staples: ATX. LINK
  • HPJ1124: ATX.
  • Royal: ATX.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Aroma:

• Not noticed.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Prompt and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Verdant.
  • A special occasion is afoot.

Saturation:

• Moderate.
  • A fully-inked line seems to require a wet writer / absorbent paper.

Shading Potential:

• Low, but may be encouraged.

Line quality:

• High.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit greater than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• A bit greater than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• More than most.
    • Responsive to papers' absorbency and base-tint, yet retains its essential appearance; though I consider the pale narrow line of the 600 on G Lalo to be slightly amiss. That said, such a pen+paper combo would challenge many mid-tone inks.

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are 60x30mm.

All are thumbnails.

600 on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/th_INK764_zps498a6d31.jpg

ATX on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/th_INK765_zps94ea0c14.jpg

600 on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/th_INK766_zpscc79914e.jpg

Prelude on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/th_INK767_zpse21f4d3a.jpg

OTHER INKS

This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to my sole Review of Green-centric ink since 06-May-11. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Swab Swami

Thumbnail
:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Amazon/th_INK754_zps1cf33201.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Sailor Epinard, Visconti Green, Lamy Green, Diamine Deep [sic] Green.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Those with a hard smooth surface and a natural base tint.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those that cannot suppress bleed- show-through.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• Line quality and writing experience was very nice, but bleed- show-through may have one choosing a somewhat dry writer. (Nothing new in that.)

Tinted Papers:

• Tricky.
  • Very much a matter of personal choice, though I would run Amazon at a high density, if not a fully inked line, on a pale Buff - Khaki; and steer clear of papers that trend to Yellow. (I await contributions showing Amazon on Canary Yellow stock.)

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• If one chooses a wet nib / pursues shading.

ETC.

Majik:

• Not for me.

Billets Doux?

• Not for me.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• ATX on Rhodia.
  • The pen gives just a bit low % coverage of the page, yet the density is high enough to anchor the ink firmly to the page; and the shading gives the line some flow.
  • The paper gives good absorbency to support the overall density and promote the small extent of shading. The base-tint is slightly warm, though rather than increasing vibrancy, it lowers the contrast of the ink to the paper.

Yickity Yackity:

• Another step on the road to recovery!
  • Ah kushbaby, are you feeling slightly festive?

= = = = =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens

• Written Samples:

A. r
o
tring 600 + 18K gold F nib.

B. Cross ATX + steel M nib.

C. Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub nib.

• Lines & labels:

Diamine Indig☹ from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo: Verge de France, natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Pulp: Calendar page.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Densitometer Readings on HPJ1124.

• Red 85
  • Grn 174
  • Blu 88
  • Lum 140

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have; and manner of working.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Caran d'Ache Amazon Green Ink

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Silvermink

• RudyR

• wastelanded

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who loves PR Avacado (sic) and Sailor Epinard, I'm not sure I need another green, but this is lovely. I agree that its best use might be handwritten cards and/or editing. I do use my greens for margin notes, etc. They stand out but are still dark enough to be read easily, whereas yellows, reds, and oranges are sometimes hard to read (to my eyes).

Thanks for another wonderful review :)

Edited by IWantThat

Tamara

Thanks for the review of a excellent ink. I use mine for thank you notes and will use it for holiday greeting cards. I notice that you no longer have a need for .22 hollow points anymore but still see you need to stock up on 50 mm cannon shells. Can you no longer shoot straight enough that you must really on cannon barrages to get your quarry?smile.gif

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Amazon's one of my two favorite greens (the other one being MB Racing Green). I just wish it weren't so expensive. MB Irish Green is a pretty similar color and much cheaper per mL.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Huzzah! I'm glad to see you turn your inimitable inky eye to the greens. Wonderful work, as always. I like this green, it's a very pure one. True, green doesn't work well in a work environment, but there's a time and place for every colour.

Lately I've been wondering if I could persuade a review of Diamine Umber from you. Perhaps the time will come, as your recovery continues? :clap1:

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

As someone who loves PR Avacado (sic) and Sailor Epinard, I'm not sure I need another green, but this is lovely. I agree that its best use might be handwritten cards and/or editing. I do use my greens for margin notes, etc. They stand out but are still dark enough to be read easily, whereas yellows, reds, and oranges are sometimes hard to read (to my eyes).

Thanks for another wonderful review :)

Hi,

You're welcome!

My personal preference for Green ink seems similar to yours: a small array is sufficient. Which is not to say that Green inks are any less interesting than Blue-Black inks; I just don't use Green so often. But when I do reach for a Green ink, I want one that is interesting and somewhat malleable.

I very much agree with you on the preference for Green over the Yellow to Orange-leaning Red inks when readability is important, especially under artificial light. For example, if I need a highlighter ink, I'll often add a bit of Blue to Noodler's Firefly, a Yellow highlighter ink, which gives a zippy Green; but only enough Blue that the mixed ink will drop-out on a B&W photocopy.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Thanks for the review of a excellent ink. I use mine for thank you notes and will use it for holiday greeting cards. I notice that you no longer have a need for .22 hollow points anymore but still see you need to stock up on 50 mm cannon shells. Can you no longer shoot straight enough that you must really on cannon barrages to get your quarry?smile.gif

Hi,

You're welcome!

Ah, yet another person who also uses Green for specific things!!

Indeed, the .22 LRHP are rarely on the Grocery List - they're on another List. Through practice, I continue shoot well enough to hit my target and keep my qualifications. ;)

Bye,

S1

Amazon's one of my two favorite greens (the other one being MB Racing Green). I just wish it weren't so expensive. MB Irish Green is a pretty similar color and much cheaper per mL.

Hi,

I'm glad you like Amazon!

I haven't tried the MBIGrn as it may be just that bit too bright for my taste. Yet what I've seen of that ink, and read about it, it does seem a very good ink. Certainly the functionality of the MB bottle is far superior to that of Cd'A. :)

Bye,

S1

Huzzah! I'm glad to see you turn your inimitable inky eye to the greens. Wonderful work, as always. I like this green, it's a very pure one. True, green doesn't work well in a work environment, but there's a time and place for every colour.

Lately I've been wondering if I could persuade a review of Diamine Umber from you. Perhaps the time will come, as your recovery continues? :clap1:

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

I thought that I would do a bit of enabling - this being the time of year that some folks might be looking more closely at the Green inks. (Ditto for Reds.)

Another request to extend my inky adventure? Well, Diamine Umber just might get a look: never say never!

Bye,

S1

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting green :thumbup: It looks like a lot the sailor epinard

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Very interesting green :thumbup: It looks like a lot the sailor epinard

Hi,

They are fairly close in colour, and both strike me as being very 'organic' & vegetal.

The Epinard is included in the Swab Swami, and my Review of that ink is HERE.

Bye,

S1