Seven New Nakaya's

shane1

Those are beautiful pens and a great write-up and photo's, thanks for sharing. I have just ordered my first Nakaya, but already I have thirst to get more. I can see me having a loooooong love affair with these pens, they are so beautiful. My new pen has been shipped and now I've gotta wait for it to get here and clear customs...I just can't wait to see it and ink it up.

Oncec again, congratulations on your new pens :clap1:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shane1

• ethernautrix

• reprieve

• elderberry

Shane, I forgot to ask, that's a lovely pen case you have there, i'm looking for one just like that. Could you tell me what it's called and the maker please? I don't even know what to search on in Google for that, it's just what I need.

Thanks.

Mike

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

Shane, I forgot to ask, that's a lovely pen case you have there, i'm looking for one just like that. Could you tell me what it's called and the maker please? I don't even know what to search on in Google for that, it's just what I need.

Thanks.

Mike

That pen case is a Franklin Christoph Penenvelope 6. It is a great case and I have many. I also have the Lucky 13, two pen case and single pen sleeve. At the moment they are my favorite but I am using some Aston leather cases as well that are also nice. When I travel, I reach for the Penenvelopes.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/penvelope-six.html

shane

Funny. I have a Piccolo in unpolished shu (LOVE IT!) and the Naka-ai, as I said, is aka tamenuri -- the opposite of yours. Also, no clips.

I would take a photo of my pens to mirror yours (I have fewer models, though), but the Naka-ai and Long Piccolo are with Ernest Shin who is painting kanji in maki-e on them. :-)

I would like to see them when they return. What is the average turnaround time for the Kanji?

It may sound strange but this Naka-ai is probably my favorite so far and I really like the Piccolo also. I have to post with the Piccolo but I usually try to post anyway. The Naka-ai has all of the features I like in Nakaya. It is a great size, has the Piccolo points on the end which highlight the Urushi and it posts easily. Great pen.

shane

I'm eager to share Ernest's beautiful calligraphy! He painted MIYAKO in kanji on my Desk Pen, which is probably my favorite Nakaya. That and the unpolished shu Piccolo.

Another difference, I don't post. Ha ha ha. And I have the F-C "Six Shooter" in black. I have a couple of other F-C Penvelopes, too. Funny.

Ernest estimated 2-3 weeks from his receipt of the pens, and he received them 11/16, but I didn't decide on the calligraphy for a few days and there was the Thanksgiving holiday, so I heard from him 11/26 that he would start. Two weeks from then? Three? Of course, I hope it's two, but it's probably three....

I do like his kanji -- I mean, I've only the one, on my Desk Pen, but I love the style, and I'm sure that the others will look beautiful and just so as well.

Kaze (wind) on the Naka-ai and fukurou (owl) on the Long Piccolo.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

That pen case is a Franklin Christoph Penenvelope 6.

Thanks Shane, I have ordered a 6 penenvelope, looks like great value, thanks.

Mike

That is a nice set and with that order, I think I'll be done for a "long" while.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

I like the looks of the Naka-ai in unpolished shu.

That may be my next Nakaya, although I think I'd consider a ruthenium nib and perhaps a matte ruthenium clip.

I have a long Piccolo in the unpolished shu finish. It's a wonderfully tactile pen and I really like it. It has a quiet air of practicality about it - and in fact it's my daily writer at work. It has a clip, something that is, I think, more practical in an office. I'm also now the lucky new owner of a Naka-ai that was looking for a new home. It's a clipless kuro tamenuri and it's a fabulous pen. It has a rhodium plated nib that makes a nice change from the usual gold. It's a cursive italic and a great writer.

I've also just heard that Kevin has received a Dani that I ordered a while back - so I'm certainly going to finish the year on a high!

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

I'm also now the lucky new owner of a Naka-ai that was looking for a new home. It's a clipless kuro tamenuri and it's a fabulous pen. It has a rhodium plated nib that makes a nice change from the usual gold. It's a cursive italic and a great writer.

Sweet! (The Danitrio's sweet, too, I'm sure!) But the Naka-ai kuro tamenuri with rhodium nib must look so beautiful!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Beautiful. I still can't get over SE7EN (!) new Nakaya's... That's my kinda purchase.

Edit: You've helped me quite a bit, incidentally. I only have two more to go on my list: a Homo Sapiens, which I'll buy first, and a Nakaya. I've been looking around to see which one I'm going for and seeing all these together has helped me narrow down. So thanks for sharing this.

Edited by i.like.whiskey

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

Beautiful. I still can't get over SE7EN (!) new Nakaya's... That's my kinda purchase.

Edit: You've helped me quite a bit, incidentally. I only have two more to go on my list: a Homo Sapiens, which I'll buy first, and a Nakaya. I've been looking around to see which one I'm going for and seeing all these together has helped me narrow down. So thanks for sharing this.

I have a full set (FP,BP,MP) of Homo Sapiens also. I will take some photos when I get home tomorrow so you can see a comparison. Would you like to see it next to any other pen? I have some Omas, Nakaya, many Montblancs, Waterman Edson, etc. Just let me know.

shane

I am up to nine now and two on order. I might order a Shu Piccolo next week.

shane

Stunning, Shane. That's quite a collection you seem to have there.

I'll take you up on your offer if you don't mind. My understanding is that the Homo Sapiens if a large (oversize) pen. To that effect, if you happen to have an m1000 or a 149, I'd love to see some size comparison there. Thanks again.

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

1354237163[/url]' post='2522742']

I'll take you up on your offer if you don't mind. My understanding is that the Homo Sapiens if a large (oversize) pen. To that effect, if you happen to have an m1000 or a 149, I'd love to see some size comparison there. Thanks again.

I do. I have an M1000 and a 149. I will take a couple of shots in the morning comparing them to the large Homo Sapien.

Shane

M1000, Homo Sapiens, and 149

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/ctsrj1/Pens/L1020058.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/ctsrj1/Pens/L1020059.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/ctsrj1/Pens/L1020060.jpg

Homo Sapines, M1000, 149, Omas Paragon (Modern), Waterman Edson Sterling and Omas 360 Magnum.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/ctsrj1/Pens/L1020061.jpg

Edited by shane1

For those of you who own a cross-section of Nakaya styles, I have a question about "hand feel." I like the way my Naka-ai feels in my hand in terms of balance and section diameter. But if I had to be ultra nit-picky, I would probably prefer for the section to be slightly longer so I didn't have to grip as much of the section threads. The Desk Pen and the Neo Standard look like they have longer sections (or at least shorter section threads). Do you think that I would like a Desk Pen or a Neo Standard based on this feature? Or are there other aspects of the DP/NS section (diameter, shape) that make it different from the Naka-ai in ways that may not be preferential? And do the Desk Pen and Neo Standard feel very similar to each other in the hand?

The Desk Pen is magically balanced in every hand -- or everyone who has tried my Desk Pen is lying to me. Or only some of them. It would take only one person lying to wreck the unanimity of response: "Wow! That is comfortable! What perfect balance!"

I believe the Neo Standard is a Desk Pen without a long tail. But I think it might be a tad wider around the section, too. We'll have to ask Ricky (AltecGreen). He has a rainbow collection of Neo Standards.

The NS doesn't appeal to me so much as the other models. Maybe it's the curvy lines of it. The Desk Pen's cap is nearly flush to the barrel, and I don't know why that's important to me, but it is. That's one of the reasons I like the Piccolo and the Naka-ai.

Shane1 has both the DP and the NS; perhaps he'll have a good answer.

I just wanted to say, DESK PEN!

:-D

etherX in To Miasto

The Long Cigars/Writers (are there any long models with clips? Probably, I've only seen clipless ones yet) also have considerably longer sections which I enjoy a lot.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog