X47 Timer

TheWritingSwede

I'm looking at the X47 Timer A6 from Germany and was wondering if anyone here have tried them.

The quality of the refillable leather notebook looks very high but if I am to change to this system I'd like to know what the paper is like.

The main attraction of this brand is the fact that they stay fairly slim, compared to a Filofax or any other ring bound system, and that there is space for cards (credit cards or business cards) and such.

However, as I don't think you can use any other notebooks in this system, I'd like to know what the paper in the actual notebooks is like.

Is the paper of good quality? Is it FP friendly?

Cheers!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWritingSwede

• Charel29

• gosudar

• alexander_k

Top Posters In This Topic

I took delivery of an A5 X41 notebook a couple of weeks ago - the cheaper sister of the X47 in terms of binder. As far as I know the paper is the same in both versions, allowing for the variation in fastening (elastic bands in the X41 vs. spring rods in the X47). The covers of the inserts I felt were flimsier than I would have liked, and I think would not stand a great deal of being taken in and out; with the spring rod fastening this may not be so much of a problem, and the pictures on their website look as if the X47 inserts might have a more substantial cover. The paper was great as far as ballpoints were concerned, but hopeless with FPs. Noodler's 'Rome Burning' (? may not be the exact name) - one of their 'bullet-proof' inks feathered and bled like a stuck pig. Montblanc black just the same. My other bugbear was the 2.5mm squares in the grid inserts, which I found disorienting as I am used to 5mm squares.

That said, I like the system, and have been considering one of the X47 set-ups for much the same reasons as yourself. At present I am mainly using ballpoints as I'm having some problems with my hands, so the non-FP-friendly paper doesn't worry me so much. Their service was very quick and efficient, and I feel I got quite a lot for my money.

I hope these obs. may be of some use to you. I'd be interested to hear how things go if you do get yourself and X47.

All the best,

G

I have a couple of X17s in A6 and A7 size but haven't used the included booklets yet. Instead I make my own booklets from A4 sheets of any paper I want. I just fold the paper and cut in in half and then again until I can fold the pieces to the right size and put the loose leafs together in booklets. The only minor irritation is that the X17 covers (especially the A6) are slightly smaller than A6.

I took delivery of an A5 X41 notebook a couple of weeks ago - the cheaper sister of the X47 in terms of binder. As far as I know the paper is the same in both versions, allowing for the variation in fastening (elastic bands in the X41 vs. spring rods in the X47). The covers of the inserts I felt were flimsier than I would have liked, and I think would not stand a great deal of being taken in and out; with the spring rod fastening this may not be so much of a problem, and the pictures on their website look as if the X47 inserts might have a more substantial cover. The paper was great as far as ballpoints were concerned, but hopeless with FPs. Noodler's 'Rome Burning' (? may not be the exact name) - one of their 'bullet-proof' inks feathered and bled like a stuck pig. Montblanc black just the same. My other bugbear was the 2.5mm squares in the grid inserts, which I found disorienting as I am used to 5mm squares.

That said, I like the system, and have been considering one of the X47 set-ups for much the same reasons as yourself. At present I am mainly using ballpoints as I'm having some problems with my hands, so the non-FP-friendly paper doesn't worry me so much. Their service was very quick and efficient, and I feel I got quite a lot for my money.

I hope these obs. may be of some use to you. I'd be interested to hear how things go if you do get yourself and X47.

All the best,

G

gosudan,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I didn't think it would be suitable for FP's but I always wish I could use a FP with EVERY AND ALL notebooks... guess that's just life...

At least I won't get disappointed if I go ahead and buy it as I will now be prepared thanks to you :thumbup:

The graph paper with 2.5mm squares is (to me) a great bonus as it is almost impossible to find anything smaller than 5mm squares! Specially if you want it in A6 or smaller format (I usually buy a very expensive A6 pad in Munich when I'm there as I haven't found anything smaller than A4 here in the UK).

I'm a knitwear designer and apart from making felted covers for iPads, Kindles and MacBook Airs, I also design accessories such as shawls and I NEVER go anywhere without pen and paper - at the moment I'm carrying around one blank A5 notepad, one lined A6 notepad and one A5 squared notepad!!

With the X47 I'm hoping to consolidate this to one folder where I can also carry some business cards at the same time as it looks way more professional than 3 different pads (and less to carry around).

Many thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion of the X41/X47.

If I order it I will let you know what I think!

All the best,

T

I have a couple of X17s in A6 and A7 size but haven't used the included booklets yet. Instead I make my own booklets from A4 sheets of any paper I want. I just fold the paper and cut in in half and then again until I can fold the pieces to the right size and put the loose leafs together in booklets. The only minor irritation is that the X17 covers (especially the A6) are slightly smaller than A6.

Thanks alexander_k,

I tried a similar set up with a leather folder I have but I didn't quite work out for me...

Thanks for taking the time to reply though!

All the best,

T

I have been using a X47 (A5 size) for 2 years now and have been using their paper too. The paper batch that I have bought from them was very good for FP, no bleeding. Nowadays I just buy the springs from X47 and make my own booklets (very easy). I think it is a very well designed system and beautiful leather, but quality doesn't come cheap, as usual.

I have been using a X47 (A5 size) for 2 years now and have been using their paper too. The paper batch that I have bought from them was very good for FP, no bleeding. Nowadays I just buy the springs from X47 and make my own booklets (very easy). I think it is a very well designed system and beautiful leather, but quality doesn't come cheap, as usual.

Hi Charel29,

You can buy your own springs? And make your own booklets!?!?

OK, if they have the cover I want (waiting to hear from them) I'm buying it. When I was looking at their organisers, the only obvious drawback for me was that I [thought] was tied in to their booklets for ever.

Have you documented how you make your own booklets using their springs? Either here on FPN or [if you have] your own blog?

I'd be very interested in seeing how you go about it.

You're right about quality not coming cheap, but if I go for it I do expect to use it for many ears to come.

Cheers,

T

just to make sure - No affiliation with X47, just a happy user of their Timer

I ordered a few of their booklets and re-used the tubes with which they are attached to the Timer. You just need to make 2 holes in your homemade booklet. There are 2 pins attached to the tubes which you need to insert in the 2 holes in the booklet. very straightforward. Unfortunately, the 2 pins have to be bent and this is the weak point. Ater re-using 4 or 5 times, the pins break off.

As I have an A5 size Timer, I just need to buy A4 size FP-friendly paper, fold it in two and ready you are.

I just checked their website and can't find the tubes anymore. They are called 'Rohr" (or 'tube') and come in A7, A6 and A5 size. maybe ask by email. On their online shop you can find spring bars but these are the pieces that the tubes connect to (they are permanently fixed to the Timers).

You also might wanna check Youtube and search for 'X47 Mabook'.

good luck with your X47, you will love it

just to make sure - No affiliation with X47, just a happy user of their Timer

I ordered a few of their booklets and re-used the tubes with which they are attached to the Timer. You just need to make 2 holes in your homemade booklet. There are 2 pins attached to the tubes which you need to insert in the 2 holes in the booklet. very straightforward. Unfortunately, the 2 pins have to be bent and this is the weak point. Ater re-using 4 or 5 times, the pins break off.

As I have an A5 size Timer, I just need to buy A4 size FP-friendly paper, fold it in two and ready you are.

I just checked their website and can't find the tubes anymore. They are called 'Rohr" (or 'tube') and come in A7, A6 and A5 size. maybe ask by email. On their online shop you can find spring bars but these are the pieces that the tubes connect to (they are permanently fixed to the Timers).

You also might wanna check Youtube and search for 'X47 Mabook'.

good luck with your X47, you will love it

Thanks for your quick reply.

I think I understand how it works. I will also do another search on youtube as per your suggestion, I did a search initially when I found the X47 but I didn't find anything from any users, just some marketing from the company themselves and they are not showing how the tubes are attached to the booklets.

I did email them on Monday with a few questions but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Tried to call but I only get a VM in German, which I don't understand.

Cheers,

T