Homemade Black Walnut Ink

fiberdrunk

I haven't attempted it this way, but I'd say it was worth at try. It's such a staining plant that I can't help but think you'll get decent results.

Thank you! I might just give it a try to see what happens.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• amberleadavis

• jbb

• Mickey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OH, I must have posted this in the wrong spot, but I thought you'd find this interesting:

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=walnut

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/images/uploads/1710_1348_large.jpg

S450. Walnut Ink Crystals JAR
S450. Walnut Crystals Jar

This item contains two 1 ounce jars, each with the appropiate amount of crystals. Simply fill it with warm water and mix. You have read- made walnut ink without the hassle of measuring! You can use the extra crystals from the second jar to make the ink darker.
Non-waterproof.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I don't see a problem, I do suggest you use about twice as much water as you expect to have for a final volume, and that you bring your mixture to a simmer, then reduce it. Filter it through a coffee filter, and expect to lose at least 1/3 of your volume. If you have a scale and a graduate, weigh in grams, use mililiters (cubic centimetres) for volume, that will give you an easy ratio.

Good luck!

I live in the high Mojave Desert and trust me when I say we have no walnut trees here. I'd love to make some of my own but I am having a hard time finding the walnuts + hulls on fleabay. I have, however, found walnut hull powder (from the Juglans Nigra variety). Does anyone know if it can be mixed with water to create an ink?

OH, I must have posted this in the wrong spot, but I thought you'd find this interesting:

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=walnut

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/images/uploads/1710_1348_large.jpg

S450. Walnut Ink Crystals JAR

S450. Walnut Crystals Jar

This item contains two 1 ounce jars, each with the appropiate amount of crystals. Simply fill it with warm water and mix. You have read- made walnut ink without the hassle of measuring! You can use the extra crystals from the second jar to make the ink darker.

Non-waterproof.

I have bought and used this before. If I remember right, it's not a true walnut ink. It's from peat. But it makes a nice colored ink for dip pens.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

OH, thank you for telling me. I figured if anyone would know, it would be you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 year later...

Hello. I am so glad to find these original ink recepies and I am looking forward to the autumn time. But till than can anyone tell me if there is any coffee ink recepie? I tried to boil some coffee and I share with you this result. But I still feel that I need your help to emprove my coffee homemade ink. If anyone knows something, please share with me this knowlledge. Thank you everyone.

Hello. I am so glad to find these original ink recepies and I am looking forward to the autumn time. But till than can anyone tell me if there is any coffee ink recepie? I tried to boil some coffee and I share with you this result. But I still feel that I need your help to emprove my coffee homemade ink. If anyone knows something, please share with me this knowlledge. Thank you everyone.

post-126255-0-46077700-1487000709_thumb.jpg

post-126255-0-73274700-1487000720_thumb.jpg

Well, your penmanship is beautiful.

Well, your penmanship is beautiful.

Thank you for your appreciation. First I want to say that I have a very light touch of the hand. Till know I did handwritting with very thick ink, such as sumi ink using less flexible nibs like zebra g, tachikawa or nikko. For me, this was a nightmare because the nibs were stiff and the hairlines they produce were not thin enough so there was no difference between hairlines and shadding. After making this coffee ink I noticed that any stiff nib, like those that I mentioned above, requires a runny ink. Next I intend to test a flexible nib with a thick ink and after that I will let you know my conclusions.

• 3 years later...

I wanted to post an update. I have finally found one fountain pen that will work with the cooked-down traditional black walnut ink of this thread, and that is the Noodler's Boston Safety Pen! It won't flow through any other fountain pen I've tried, and believe me, I've tried!

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik